Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone had trouble with LED boat plugs?

triscadek

The hole in the drain plug would be no bigger than the holes we drill in the boat for regular transom LEDs. I caulked mine with bathtub caulking & it hasn't sank yet.

I purchased the Diablo Y-knot drain plug lights, because i just can't bring myself to drill a hole below the waterline. They are very heavily built.

Perhaps not as bright as lifeforms or the factory stuff, but we also only go out a couple times a year at night,

Its only been in a couple weeks now, but no issues with it at all. You would have to hit it really hard to break it, it sees very little hard stresses mounting in the drain plug.

i don't know how i've never heard of these until now, but i'm glad i stumbled on this thread! any recommendations for the best ones? or i should say, cheapest while not sacrificing quality? found these on ebay for $30 which is a no-brainer unless it's a POS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-3-LED-DRAIN-PLUG-LIGHT-1-2-NPT-12V-Underwater-Boat-Wakeboard-Diving-Swim-/190649028759

Not my info, but from WakeWorld this morning:

So I've read all the reviews on drain plug lights and I've had lights that I installed on my last boat, but I just hate drilling holes in my new boat. So I started doing a little research and came across a drain plug light made by Diablo Royale Customs. Their website is www.boatpluglight.com and before anyone says anything I'm not associated with them in anyway what so ever. I bought a dual head light for $180 and thought I would be throwing my money away but we were getting ready for a big trip to Norris Lake in Tennessee and I wanted to have something cool for our night rides. Needless to say I was blown away with the quality of the light as well as the ability to light up the water. I have a wake plate with a single cylinder in the middle so the light is partially blocked but it still does an awesome job of lighting up the water. I've attached a few pictures of it so you can see what mine looked like. I know there are a lot of options out there and this may not be the best option for under water lighting, but for me it has worked out great!!!! I did have a small issue but I was able to contact them and they quickly walked me thru the solution and I had them working within ten minutes of having them installed. If you are considering underwater lights I would highly recommend these!

52jsAAy.jpg

vmWucqE.jpg

• Like 2

i don't know how i've never heard of these until now, but i'm glad i stumbled on this thread! any recommendations for the best ones? or i should say, cheapest while not sacrificing quality? found these on ebay for $30 which is a no-brainer unless it's a POS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-3-LED-DRAIN-PLUG-LIGHT-1-2-NPT-12V-Underwater-Boat-Wakeboard-Diving-Swim-/190649028759

I bought one of these before our Powell trip. Seemed to work just fine but I don't have anything to compare it to.

I have the 3 LED single unit from ebay as well, CREE white drain plug light. Don't forget with a bu you can go for the trifecta effect....

One in the rear drain 1/2".

One in the V-drive T-handle (use a 3/4" to 1/2" brass bushing from hardware store).

One in the center T-handle drain (use another 3/4" to 1/2" bushing).

This gives a nice glowing effect around the boat.

Id be afraid with them being in the brunt of the water on the underneath of the hull they would weaken and break?! That's a lot of weight and water pressure to withstand.

The single units are not big and really don't extend out that far. Now I typically do not leave them installed year round, I can hop in the water under the lift and install quickly if we know we are going out for the evening. I did have them installed from the 4th of July last year until I winterized in October with no issues.

looks like a brass 3/4 x 1/2 reducer bushing with an LED in the center.

• 11 months later...

Yikes!!  Thanks for calling me out on this.  

I will try to get pics this weekend.  I did install them again, water is 87 degrees and we went out for an evening swim.   

• Like 1

Giddyup on that!    :cheers:

I have a pair of the stock white Malibu lights on my boat... the ones with 6 LEDs that came out in around 2007. I saw the Diablo plug light at 900 lumens for $50 & pulled the trigger on a green one.

Might be interesting. And I might have a picture of mine before you have yours.   :woot:

ahopkins22LSV
31 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Giddyup on that!    :cheers:

I have a pair of the stock white Malibu lights on my boat... the ones with 6 LEDs that came out in around 2007. I saw the Diablo plug light at 900 lumens for $50 & pulled the trigger on a green one.

Might be interesting. And I might have a picture of mine before you have yours.   :woot:

Link to the $50 plug light?

IMG_2195.JPG.423fbd7bf7112196c063a4825b0IMG_2196.JPG.60ae278ba7aa8429e9d6534e3b3

Success!! I beat @Bill_AirJunky with posting a picture, yes almost a year later.  Not the best photos of the lights and I will get better ones this weekend.  

Boat is on the lift and the 2 lights you see are in the center drain and V drive drain locations.  I will get a close up to show how much is sticking out of the hull.

• Like 1

IMG_3394.JPG.d7be91bf9d3fa6814551dfb257f

Here it is sticking out the bottom of the hull in the Vdrive T handle.  Light is in a 3/4" to 1/2" brass reducer.  I used a tap to thread all the way thru the 1/2" side to reduce the profile.  I need to tap the 3/4" hole in the boat to reduce the profile more.  

No I do not notice the boat driving any different. Or the wake.  

It's hard to capture night pictures with the Iphone.  Maybe this weekend I can grab a couple at night if I climb up a cliff when we are tied up.  

IMG_3394.JPG

Edited by blk93jeepzj
On 7/16/2015 at 9:44 PM, nyryan2001 said:

I had the Hurley puck in mine for a season....very well built, no leaks no issues

I know it's from forever ago but how did you fit the hurley with the wedge? I have one sitting in the box but it impacts my manual wedge. Did you just mount it elsewhere?