Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for skim style surf board

2014AXIST22

Recently rode a skim style board behind a friends boat and loved it and now i want one. Any suggestions on what boards I should be looking at? Looked at the Hyperlite Hi-Fi. Anybody have any experience with this board? Thanks

I ride a phase 5 oogle that I really like. I know it's not the best board out there but I like it. I rode a Victoria factor PCX and really liked it. I will be upgrading to one in the very near future. They are pretty affordable compared to a lot of the others too.

We get to ride them all and have all phase 5 boards. by far the best skim style boards out there. Carbon fiber construction makes a huge difference in speed and durability. We have the daniello diamond, model x, aku surf and the diamond luv on the boat now. A bit pricey but worth it.

Edited by dbsurf

Victoria is my recommendation. Either the Agent or Factor. I like them a little bit more the P5 boards and they are a bit more affordable than P5.

I'm not looking to spend more than 600 dollars. I weigh about 155-160 ish. As far as riding ability, I would rank myself as intermediate. Right now, we own and ride a Phase 5 Model X. Great board but we want to make this our true "surf" board with all 3 fins in. Then we would use the skimmer for 360s and other tricks.

Go with Victoria.....Agent or Factor PCX - I have owned both of these and the phase fives. I prefer the Agent personally.

the agent is a fan favorite for my family. It's super easy to ride for a huge size range. It's fast down the line, but stable rail to rail.

I prefer the response of the PCX, but I enjoy riding the Agent every now and then.

Are there any differences between the factor and factor pcx besides the carbon fiber?

the PCX uses a little bit higher density core which is even stiffer.

You only notice a difference between the boards when doing airs, but even the regular Factor is good for all tricks. The PCX is just a little snappier

Looking for a suggestion for a board for my brother. He's 200 to 210 lbs. He's a beginner learning on a smaller wave - moomba v. Looking for a board that will help him progress but he won't outgrow right away like the broadcast. Don't think it matters if it's skim or surf style - he doesn't know any better. Thanks in advance.

Mitch or RayRay - How are the Agent and Factor different? I sometimes ride my wife's Factor. I like it a lot, but I think it's a little small (its a 48" and I'm 165lb). I've thought of getting a bigger one, but maybe an Agent would be good one too.

The main reason I like the agent better is that it is so much easier to ride fakie and I feel more forgiving overall. The tail shapes are much different, the agent has some sort of squash tail while the factor is more of a pintail. I ride the large 55" agent and I am 6'3" about 215lbs. Mitch could probably answer more specifics on exact aspects of the shapes.

Mitch or RayRay - How are the Agent and Factor different? I sometimes ride my wife's Factor. I like it a lot, but I think it's a little small (its a 48" and I'm 165lb). I've thought of getting a bigger one, but maybe an Agent would be good one too.

You would like the 50" factor if you are riding the 48". I'm 165 and love the 50"

The Agent has a super wide tail which makes it very stable rail to rail. It is faster down the line, but slower to initiate hard turns.

Edit: This helps explain the differences http://victoriawake.com/2015/07/time-to-upgrade/

Edited by wakemitch

Mitch - If you are still following this thread...would my wife's 48" Factor be fine for kids (50-60 lbs). The Victoria Debut Grom and the Phase 5 Scamp are both about that size anyway.

Mitch - If you are still following this thread...would my wife's 48" Factor be fine for kids (50-60 lbs). The Victoria Debut Grom and the Phase 5 Scamp are both about that size anyway.

the board will be super fast for them. But it will still be easier to control than bigger boards.

The debut sits deeper which gives them more grip and slows it down a touch.

The phase 5 scamp is the best performance kids board at that price.

Victoria can make a custom smaller performance skim, but with the materials used it won't be as cheap as the scamp.

Edited by wakemitch