Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G4 Tower?

Sride

The honey comb on the inside does what? Makes it stronger? Is this to fix all the huge issues the G3 towers had with being weak??( reminds me of a MC selling point) I'm not sure I see blocky as cutting edge looking, but aesthetics are subjective, so that ones just my opinion.

On strength... You guys are talking past eachother.

Afun and I are saying "The tower is stronger."

You are saying "I don't need a stronger tower."

That's fine. It's your decision to make. But the fact remains, it is stronger. You can't debate that fact. If you go mess around with one and take it apart as I have, you will quickly see why it costs more. Whether you value that or not is a different issue. Clearly you do not.

In the spirit of full disclosure, there is ONE thing that really bugs me about the G4. Matter of fact, it's the been the #1 pain in my a$$ this summer...

The fact that Malibu still does not offer a bimini (other than the uber expensive Z5) that allows the G4 to fold all the way down. I have to manually remove the CS slider bimini every time I put the boat away in my garage. Then I have to put it back on every time we go out. This is a major pain cuz it's super awkward and requires two people performing a delicate balancing act.

I didn't mention this before because supposedly a new bracket is forthcoming that will allow the tower to fold with the bimini attached. But it's almost August and after months of empty promises there's still no bracket. Honestly, this one item is the only thing that makes me slightly regret the G4 upgrade.

The bimini thing is huge for me. Even over the the aesthetics. I love my tower mirror and my bimini. Those two things would have pissed me off if we had gone the g4 route. I'm sure they will fix them, but man having to pay more later for a fix would not make me happy either

That's fine. It's your decision to make. But the fact remains, it is stronger. You can't debate that fact. If you go mess around with one and take it apart as I have, you will quickly see why it costs more. Whether you value that or not is a different issue. Clearly you do not.

I think we are talking directly to each other, the point that it's stronger is moot unless there is a need for a stronger tower. Like I said it reminds me of the stringer argument from MC. Who cares if it's stronger when there isn't any strength failures to begin with.

The bimini thing is huge for me. Even over the the aesthetics. I love my tower mirror and my bimini. Those two things would have pissed me off if we had gone the g4 route. I'm sure they will fix them, but man having to pay more later for a fix would not make me happy either

yeah, it's annoying for sure. but shouldn't be a factor for 2016. just the price of being an early adopter, I guess. still, I think Malibu blew it on this one.

same thing happened when MC introduced the power tower... bimini took forever.

a year from now nobody will ever remember this... i hope.

yeah, it's annoying for sure. but shouldn't be a factor for 2016. just the price of being an early adopter, I guess. still, I think Malibu blew it on this one.

same thing happened when MC introduced the power tower... bimini took forever.

a year from now nobody will ever remember this... i hope.

Yeah buying the first edition defiantly has it's draw backs. You'd think they have had that done before release. Seems like such a simple process.

I think we are talking directly to each other, the point that it's stronger is moot unless there is a need for a stronger tower. Like I said it reminds me of the stringer argument from MC. Who cares if it's stronger when there isn't any strength failures to begin with.

we're saying the same thing...

it's stronger, yes.

is it needed? probably not.

do i appreciate the craftsmanship, yes.

Are you a gun guy??? It's like the difference between a Glock and a Kimber. I have both. They both shoot straight. When the Kimber is in my hand, my knees get week.... it's just a nicer machine.

Yeah buying the first edition defiantly has it's draw backs. You'd think they have had that done before release. Seems like such a simple process.

total failure on Bu's part to "manage the ecosystem" around this new tower.

i actually think they just screwed up... they figured out how to attach the CS bimini before laungh... but apparently didn't think to test it by lowering it down.

odd because somehow they got it right on the Z5... the bimini that nobody but Phil Soven orders.

we're saying the same thing...

it's stronger, yes.

is it needed? probably not.

do i appreciate the craftsmanship, yes.

Are you a gun guy??? It's like the difference between a Glock and a Kimber. I have both. They both shoot straight. When the Kimber is in my hand, my knees get week.... it's just a nicer machine.

I can see that with a gun for sure. I think the g3.2 is nicer than the g3, but I'd have to take apart the g4 to appreciate it and it's not like holding it. I really don't like how it looks, and the other issues with the bimini, tower mirror, and speakers just really kill it for me.

Dave, if you get quad clamping racks on the G4 will they clear wakeboards when boots are opposite of eachother? It looks like the upper racks are not at a different angle like the upper fixed racks are on the G3.2. And how wide of a surfboard will fit in the clamping racks?

I don't have quad clamping racks... the cost was just ASTRONOMICAL. I figured with the surf pockets on the bimini I'd be fine without them, and I have been.

I know what you're saying about the angles of the forks. I just don't know if the spacing is such that it works without the wakeboard boots interfering with eachother. There are very few of these boats with quad clamping racks... maybe Phil Soven can answer this. :lol:

The claming racks are SUPER wide and I haven't found a surfboard that doesn't fit. Both slots are much wider than your widest slot. Another nice feature for surf boats... you can adjust the tension of the clamps on the fly so there's never so much pressure on the boards that they get dented. My Ronix Parks Thruster has permanent dents in it from the older bungee racks. That problem is solved.

These PTM racks are amazing... I like them more than the tower they came on.

I can see that with a gun for sure. I think the g3.2 is nicer than the g3, but I'd have to take apart the g4 to appreciate it and it's not like holding it. I really don't like how it looks, and the other issues with the bimini, tower mirror, and speakers just really kill it for me.

Oh but I do hold it... every time I raise and lower it... every time we go out. And everytime I do I remember how much I hated raising and lowering the G3. Then I smile.

And the racks... ohhhhh, those racks! they are like the Wilson Combat of board racks.

Edited by IXFE

Seems to me that the construction process and engineering of the G4 tower is superior to any tower on the market including the G3

When you look at the G4 tower from the front of the boat, it looks like a cutting edge, machete sharp assassin coming towards you. Look at how sleek and thin...yet strong the tower looks. Cutting edge honeycomb butt hurting all the other boats on the market design....that's just me...and it's pricey!

image_zpspyoabmdl.jpg

I get mine next week, 10 days and counting. I will photo wakeboards in clamping racks. I believe you can do 4 wakeboards on each side.

I like the 3.2, but i think the G4 will become more standard. Therefore two years from now will still look current instead of "the old style" tower. I also think the angular styling goes exceptionally well on the MXZ.

Edited by DarkSide

My bet is that you won't be able to get 4 wakeboards on one side. The boots in the center positions more than likely will interfere. The difference is with the clamping racks, you will be able to put wake boards on top and bottom positions and surf boards in the middle positions, something you can't do on the 3 and 3.2 racks due to the different fork spacing. Another concern will be weather or not they will be able to swing the top rack and clear the tower speakers. Not in the market for boat so I have no vested interest but still curious to see the outcome.

I have to agree with you 100%....my Bimini has the best coverage out of all the others on the market. You got to love that for the kids! Just don't take it down and put it up...then it becomes a POS. I also love the tower arm and my PTM mirror. I think Axis did a nice job with their tower arm too.

When you look at the G4 tower from the front of the boat, it looks like a cutting edge, machete sharp assassin coming towards you. Look at how sleek and thin...yet strong the tower looks. Cutting edge honeycomb butt hurting all the other boats on the market design....that's just me...and it's pricey!

image_zpspyoabmdl.jpg

That's the pic you use to try and sway my opinion?? That tower and boat look like they were cut from separate pictures and forced together. I think the pricy part is the most important part to some of you

Edited by CJAY

MSRP in 2015 is $5,833. Obviously if you have any sort of negotiation skills you won't pay MSRP for your new boat or any of the options. This includes the same bungee cord racks as the G3. The PTM clamping racks are extra.

In 2016 the G4 comes standard with the PTM clamping racks, but I don't know the MSRP. I'm sure it's more, just not sure how much.

I'm not sure I have ever folded my G3 tower down for any reason other than to re-tighen the screws, but I did spend about $1200 on wake/surf racks from Samson and moved the Titans up top. I'd have to spend some time on the water with G4 to decide if the base width annoys me.

I'm so good with the Shock factor...

CJAY...you think it being expensive is what's important to me? I can't even seem to move on from my 13'....Com'on

Edited by Afun

I'm so good with the Shock factor...

CJAY...you think it being expensive is what's important to me? I can't even seem to move on from my 13'....Com'on

Pretty sure that cheap shot was aimed at me. Whatever

That's the pic you use to try and sway my opinion?? That tower and boat look like they were cut from separate pictures and forced together. I think the pricy part is the most important part to some of you

Afun- where do you find these boats?!?!?

Do you google "ugly 2015 Malibu"?