Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 945 vs ACME 2419

IPXpert

All,

I thought I would post my opinion between these two props. I am not going to be all scientific and post plane times or stuff like that, just my observations. First the boat came with a ACME 1235, its a 2013 22' MXZ with the 409 engine, (and surfgate). I wanted a spare prop and the current prop seemed underwhelming when trying to wakesurf. Fully loaded with all the ballast and PnP it had trouble reaching anything in the 11mph range. Top end was good though as it had no issues getting into the high 30's low 40's with no ballast. The best prop from ACME for wakesurfing/heavily weighted all pointed to the 2419. This was a night/day difference for for surfing and getting on plane. Took a while to get to anything in the 20 mph range, but I liked it. It also seemed to handle the wakeboarding a bit better, but could struggle depending upon number of passengers and the size of the boarder, (my brother and I push from 230-260). With this prop, we started to play around with the ballast a bit more as it seemed as though it could handle more.

So, when we got the surf wave to the best we could without getting any more extreme, the final config we landed on was 80lbs in the ladder locker (shot), 240lbs around the front hard tank (shot), 80 lbs passenger side (shot), 900 lbs each PnP locker (Ronix 900 Sumo's, can't fill them completely) 400lb in the walkway to the front, and all hard tanks full with wedge down. This config strained the 2419 and it had issues getting up to 11mph, 10.2 - 10.4 was about max. I ran the prop through some a sandbar by accident and messed up the edges. Sending it in for repair but had to revert back to the 1235. I had forgotten how much we didn't like that prop. There are going to be some delays getting our 2419 back, so I decided to get yet a 3rd prop. While we were satisfied with the performance of the 2419, we figured we would try the OJ 945. When talking on the phone with them, this was the prop that would out perform the 2419. It sounded like sales jargon to me but I figured it would be on par either way.

We put it on this last weekend and my initial concerns were elevated because my top end dropped to the low 30's, high 20's when ballast was loading on while we cruised to our spot. I told my brother we were probably going to have issues with the wakeboarding and any ballast just based off the transit observation. I mean the 2419 dropped the top end a few mph, but it wasn't too drastic, this prop seemed like it was dropping the top end significantly more and we were not even loaded down yet. Before we got to test it, company came and we ended up taking 13 people out with all the shot and the walkway bag. First thing up was wakeboarding and I was expecting to drag my brother for a while as it would probably struggle to get up on plane. Didn't fill any tanks as we already had enough weight. I forgot to engage the preset so I was doing the throttle by hand. It had absolutely no issues out of the hole, it was like he wasn't even there, and even pulling him it could have pulled him in the high 20's as there were a couple of times I had to back it off when it would climb to 25-26mph, (GPS btw). I am not sure this prop would work for skiing, as I don't ski, but there would be no issues for pulling a large wakeboarder with a lot of ballast. I remember thinking wow, this prop kinda kicked butt on this wakeboarding run.

Next up was surfing, filling all the tanks with all those people left the front a little lower than I liked as even the littlest chop would come over the front at low speed. I am going to say though, prop acted like it wasn't even there. Plenty of throttle, easily move into the high 11's if I wanted to... it simply worked. Didn't seem to matter what we threw at it, it just did it.

In the end, we feel as though its almost a crime to put this prop in the same category as the 2419, at least for our boat. You definately lose a good portion of your top end, so not sure if this prop would be your friend if your trying to salom, however, for wakeboarding and surfing, kudos won't do it justice. This is my goto prop and I can't say enough good things about it. It was cheaper than the 2419 too. If your looking for a prop, I would definately give it a try.

• Like 2

I may have to give that one a try. The 2419 won't let my boat go past 11mph when I have everything full and wedge down. I want to wakeboard with all ballast and wedge. Where did you buy it from?

Edited by pook77

I got it from Nettle as they gave me a 20% discount to fix it when that damn sandbar finds me again. You have to ask for the price match though as Delta had it for almost $30 cheaper, ($566), which they did.

I'm running a 945 that has had a bit of cup taken out of it by OJ (more aggressive). I've not run a 2419, but it smokes the 2315. We'd get stuck surfing at 11.8 or so and this prop has no problem pulling through to mid 12s.

I'm at 4k', so the 2315 may well be enough at sea level. up here though the extra grunt is appreciated.

I'm running a 945 that has had a bit of cup taken out of it by OJ (more aggressive). I've not run a 2419, but it smokes the 2315. We'd get stuck surfing at 11.8 or so and this prop has no problem pulling through to mid 12s.

I'm at 4k', so the 2315 may well be enough at sea level. up here though the extra grunt is appreciated.

What's your WOT speed with your modified super torquey prop?

What's your WOT speed with your modified super torquey prop?

38ish? I am not sure I've done a legit top speed test. Before repitching it, it would do 41 at 5600rpm.

Definitely requires a bit more patience for long cruises. 3200 rpm is about 23, 4000 is about 28-29. I keep gas logs and initial results suggest it's about 1gph more on a typical day (7gph 945 vs 6gph 2315), but that needs to come with a big caveat that there's also been 1-2 hours of tubing each day on the water since I put the repitched prop on so I'm not sure whether I'm comparing apples to apples.

But it will pull down a house, which is the important thing. Surfing heavy, rpms are nearly identical to the 2315 -- about 34-3500 at 12.

Edited by shawndoggy

Question on the speed for surfing, we are beginners, I assume that more speed makes the wave longer?

Does it make it harder to stay in the pocket? Like you have to keep pumping instead of just cruising or does it even matter?

We really have not got a speed dialed in yet, I just know I wasn't able to get into the high 10's or 11's with the 2419. We are at 250' above sea level, so altitude prob isn't a factor for us.

• 9 months later...
On 7/14/2015 at 1:27 PM, shawndoggy said:

Was this prop on your MB?  I am trying to figure out which prop to order for the MB

The 2419 won't go above 11mph?! That's supposed to be the highest torque prop for a 15". 

Although i I have an a22 and ls3. I planned out pretty easily with the 2315 I tried.wakeboard speed at 24mph, I had full 900 ballast full, 600's rear, 950 bow, 800 floor sac, another 450 bag in the bow, 500 in lead, wedge down, and 5 people in the boat with a full tank of gas. 

My normal prop is the 1235 which I can manage for now. I would say the 2315 is the best all around prop. I'm curious to what I could do with the 2419. 

I have a be a buddy with a 14' lsv with the 409 and 2315 prop. He can easily max his prop out when he runs wedge and another 600 bag in the cabin. 

I would say say if you can't plane with a 2419 then start adding some bow weight or use less wedge. That prop should be able to pull any amount of weight. 

On 7/14/2015 at 2:39 PM, IPXpert said:

Question on the speed for surfing, we are beginners, I assume that more speed makes the wave longer?

Does it make it harder to stay in the pocket? Like you have to keep pumping instead of just cruising or does it even matter?

We really have not got a speed dialed in yet, I just know I wasn't able to get into the high 10's or 11's with the 2419. We are at 250' above sea level, so altitude prob isn't a factor for us.

More questions than answers ;) how much weight? where is weight located? wedge position? there is a balance between push and length. My speed is 11.6 mph... but will slow down to 11 for wall climbing :P .... 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

no.... only ran 2315 on the mb.

How was the 2315 with a lot of weight at your altitude?  Guy who had this boat said the 2315 wasn't enough for up here.  Wakemakers says the 2079 is the best bet but I think the oj945 may be the one to get?

I purchased SDs 23 lsv with the OJ 945 and ls3. I'm basically at sea-level and I'm pretty sure I could pull an Abrams Tank out of the water if I had to with full MLS, both 750s in the rear full, wedge 2 clicks up and the 1k lb bow bag full. Crew is typically 4 adults and 4 kids under 5.

At just over 4k rpm I'm cruising around 31-32 mph. 

Coming from a lsv 23 with a Monsoon 350, stock prop (not sure exactly but it's what it was delivered with in 2010) and 750 pnps in the rear the difference is night and day.

It's definitely not apples to apples because of the ls3 but I love my current setup (thank you, Shawndoggy) and would recommend it to anyone regardless of elevation. 

2 hours ago, racer808 said:

How was the 2315 with a lot of weight at your altitude?  Guy who had this boat said the 2315 wasn't enough for up here.  Wakemakers says the 2079 is the best bet but I think the oj945 may be the one to get?

yeah I'd go 2419 or 945 (and maybe see about getting it decupped a bit like mine was).  Skip the 2315.  I was tapped at 4k' in the MB (with EX343).

I'm not a fan of the 2079 personally.  Just doesn't "hook up" like a 15" prop.

14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

yeah I'd go 2419 or 945 (and maybe see about getting it decupped a bit like mine was).  Skip the 2315.  I was tapped at 4k' in the MB (with EX343).

I'm not a fan of the 2079 personally.  Just doesn't "hook up" like a 15" prop.

OJ says I should try their 985, is like 945 w/ less cupping.  said that is their most aggressive prop.  Sort of having concerns with this MB purchase based on all the original owners posts & how much weight he was pushing.  

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

At your altitude, sounds like the 985 would be a very reasonable choice.

Lame, Wakemakers said not to use either the 2419 or 945, said it will cause prop burn.  Called MB boats to ask & the guy on the phone said the same thing but pointed me the acme 2937 which is 15x11, said is what they are recommending for high altitude.  I can't find much info on that prop.  Finding the right prop shouldn't be this difficult.

Just now, shawndoggy said:

sample size of 1 but I used a 2315 for two seasons and never experienced prop burn.  YMMV.

Funny, as I was trying to find info the 2937 I came across a post from the guy who owned the MB I am getting & said the same thing.  Based on what I am reading too it seems the boat never required that much weight till the GSA was put on.

37 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I buddy of mine is looking at an F22. They're telling him 4000lbs. for surfing! Yikes!

Yeah I'm having seconds thought about this suddenly.  I don't think it will fit under a 7' garage door now either so I may have to keep looking