Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Board

TXBu

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new board. I have a older Hyperlite State. It's getting worn, plus it feels heavy compared to the new boards. I've found a few pretty good deals on the Ronix Vault with Divide bindings. Does anyone have this setup? Or can you comment on the individual board and bindings? Any feedback would be appreciated.

TXbu

I rode a Vault for a couple of years and I thought it was fairly heavy and tough to break loose but it was a 144cm board. I had District bindings and loved them. I ride a Slingshot Recoil now and it's much lighter. The Vault was much better in choppy water though.

I am no expert for sure but I picked up a Watson Hybrid board (found it still in shrinkwrap locally on craigslist for 100 $ :) ) and I love it. I used to have a Hyperlite State but since that one had been riding a CWB Transcend Platinum. I love the Watson. It feels much lighter, is faster, and spins so easily.
I have been having a ton of fun riding on it this summer and have not missed my CWB at all. There has been
a little of a learning curve with the jumping for me because the Watson does not have the molded in fins like the CWB. I have to make sure to edge properly with this one which is not a bad thing, just a little different. Anyway, check them out...I don't think the Watson shape has changed for quite a while so you might be able to find a used one for cheap or an old "new" one like me!

Edited by DUKENO1

I picked up a 142 Ronix Atr this season, I really like the board. I was using a 2011 cwb transcend. Huge upgrade, board is so much lighter and loose on the water. I am running the smaller .80" fins, love the feel of it.

Here is the exact board...

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/ronix-one-atr-wakeboard.aspx?esvt=-&esvq=&esvadt=999999---1&esvcrea=49369065988&esvplace=&esvaid=30559#image=74521.Image.1.jpg&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=74521

What do you like in a board, what's level are you riding at? Go demo a few boards. There are plenty of local shops in the area.

I would recommend against the Ronix One, unless you are an advanced rider.

I picked up a 142 Ronix Atr this season, I really like the board. I was using a 2011 cwb transcend. Huge upgrade, board is so much lighter and loose on the water. I am running the smaller .80" fins, love the feel of it.

Here is the exact board...

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/ronix-one-atr-wakeboard.aspx?esvt=-&esvq=&esvadt=999999---1&esvcrea=49369065988&esvplace=&esvaid=30559#image=74521.Image.1.jpg&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_campaign=74521

Nice choice, Travis. I have the same board... just the 2012 version (same shape but red/black graphics).

Going to this board from a Hyperlite State is like going from a Tahoe to Porsche. So much lighter, faster, but still relatively locked in compared to to other pro models.

What do you like in a board, what's level are you riding at? Go demo a few boards. There are plenty of local shops in the area.

I would recommend against the Ronix One, unless you are an advanced rider.

I disagree... the Ronix One is actually a pro model board that an intermediate rider can enjoy. It's not nearly as loose as most pro model boards.

My State is a 2008 I believe...so anything will be an upgrade.

I guess you could say I'm an intermediate rider.

Nice choice, Travis. I have the same board... just the 2012 version (same shape but red/black graphics).

Going to this board from a Hyperlite State is like going from a Tahoe to Porsche. So much lighter, faster, but still relatively locked in compared to to other pro models.

I was looking around on EVO and saw that one. Would the divide boots work well on that?

I'm 6' 180 lbs. so would a 138 board work? Or should I go up to the 141 range?

Edited by TXBu

I disagree... the Ronix One is actually a pro model board that an intermediate rider can enjoy. It's not nearly as loose as most pro model boards.

A true intermediate (heel and toe side wake to wake, couple of inverts, 180's, maybe even a 360 or two) would be ok in the board, and know if it suites their style. I see a lot of people gravitate towards this board because it does pop. However, the aggressive rocker which provides this pops makes for a slower board. Thus, slowing progression, especially learning toe side jumps. Edited by Brian Young

Yep, thumbs up...and I finally got some nice closed toe ronix bindings... they are so comfortable and padded...really a nice package.. I'm not that great of a wakeboarder but this board definitely has helped me ride a little better.

I have a Hyperlite Forefront which when I bought it I understand was Hyperlite's version of the Ronix Vault. I really like the board, it has definitely helped me progress, especially on my toeside edge. I just need some bindings now that fit a little tighter to give me some more control.

I wouldn't mind trying a more pro board to see how I like it before buying one.

A true intermediate (heel and toe side wake to wake, couple of inverts, 180's, maybe even a 360 or two) would be ok in the board, and know if it suites their style. I see a lot of people gravitate towards this board because it does pop. However, the aggressive rocker which provides this pops makes for a slower board. Thus, slowing progression, especially learning toe side jumps.

Yikes... If that's your definition of "intermediate" then I guess I'm still beginner.

But at least now I know why my progression has slowed. It's not that I'm 41 and of average athletic/acrobatic ability... it's clearly because I've been on a Ronix One for the past several years.

Edited by IXFE

Not really my definition. INT any other comp or instructional will be similar divisions.

It's not just he One, any big rocker board is going to be slower. It wears you out quicker, making learning proper technique harder. I rode the one for a good part of a season a few years ago, moved to a less aggressive board and realized what a difference it makes. Everyone has their preferences, making demos the better way to choose a board.

TXBu,

I see you are in Fort Worth. If you can, go to TX Mastercraft. Ask them for some recommendations, take them on a demo, and buy from there.

A good starting point would be LF Watson, HL Murray, Ronix Bill. Try different sizes of each, but over 140 would likely be a better fit.