Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fuel smell

Hey guys,

I am having a very strong fuel smell on my 247 with hh motor. Checked for leaks and all looks good.

It seems to be after we turn off the boat for a couple of minutes or idle for a while.

Any thoughts? Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

Others may disagree with me, but if I had a 'very strong fuel smell' in a fuel injected inboard boat, I wouldn't start/run/operate the boat until I had a qualified person identify the source of the fumes you're smelling with 100% certainty (and corrected the problem)

There has been some discussion about the HH getting fuel in the crankcase, thus "making oil" and allowing fumes into the air, but regardless of where the fumes are coming from, in an enclosed engine compartment, if you have fumes, you basically have a bomb that could potentially go off...all you're waiting for is the right fuel/air ratio and the smallest of spark to result in a very bad day.

I'd get it to the dealer right away....

My $.02

Is it when the tank is full?

Right after the tank is full on our boat, we'll occaisionally get a fuel smell. But it's becuase I've often overfilled the tank, and have had it come out the fills or the overfill vents before.

rts make some good points, if you don't think it's something like my issue, I'd have it checked out.

Good points above, definitely should get it checked out. If it happens again, have someone watch the fuel vent to see if there's fuel coming out. It's happened on my boat even when the tank wasn't full--thermal expansion and throwing the boat around, likely.

Does the smell go away with the blower on or when you pop the deck lid???

After all thats why they install those blowers on boats nowadays...

But yeah if you can't get the smell out prior to starting ...Thats no bueno!!