Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sharing the water

DarkSide

Call BS all you want. I've seen it. Broke a cleat off my dock.

How in the world did a wave break a cleat off?

If it's every weekend, lets see some video or pics.

Or dare I say.....it didn't happen.

Watching tubers is kinda like watching a squirrel trying to cross a busy road.

Twitchy little fella's, and you never know what direction they're doing to actually end up in.

It says right in your signature that you like things with spark plugs....and tubes.....wait...never mind.
  • Like 2

How in the world did a wave break a cleat off?

If it's every weekend, lets see some video or pics.

Or dare I say.....it didn't happen.

Maybe? An old oxidized cleat not made of high quality material holding a heavy boat taking rollers consistently from Several surfers at the same time for years....I think it could give way

It says right in your signature that you like things with spark plugs....and tubes.....wait...never mind.

I mean, I'll tow boobs around on a tube all day long. The bouncy bouncy always brings a smile to..............

You know what, wrong time and place for this conversation. We'll have this discussion later. lol

I try to be courteous....

then I watch some toober have blantant disregard for humanity and I want to riddle the side of their SeaDoo with 7.62

nice guys finish last.

I had an experience two summers ago...was boarding in one of the probably two decent coves on a local lake, weekday. We had full ballast and were the first ones in the cove. After we had been riding about 30 min or so I happened to look over towards the shore and saw a very small boat (maybe 10-12ft long) with two folks in it. The boat was really violently tossing back and forth. It took a second or two for it to dawn on me that it was my wake they were struggling with. I had just picked up my rider so I idled over to apologize. When I got close enough I could see that it was a younger man and his wife/gf and a small child ! The dude was pissed (never said so but I could see it in his red face,lol) and even though I had not done anything wrong I told them I was sorry and that I hadn't seen them come up. His wife/gf immediately said thank you and looked very relieved. I told them that I would move over to another cove close by.

Now I know that I had every right to be there and was not breaking any laws but I would have felt horrible if I had swamped their boat or something.

I guess to the op, I would say if you were there first you have every right to do your thing. There are lots of things I see people do that I don't understand but in the end, it's not my private lake so I just deal with it. (while griping to my buddies of course) A few of the things I don't get:

-two dudes older than 12 riding on the same jetski, lol

-tubing in the only smooth water /cove on the lake (if they want smooth water to tube in why do they do figure 8's and s turns and tight circles and

generally drive in any direction possible making the once smooth water look like the main channel? )

-wakesurfing in 10 ft or less of water when the wake in water that shallow sucks and there are plenty of deeper spots on the lake?

Saw a guy Saturday at the ramp in the no wake zone, with a cuddy cabin 24ft or so, trying to pull a tube loaded with people. He was making lots of noise and going no where with a geyser of water shooting up behind him. He had the prop trimmed so high it was on top of the water and he had no idea why he wasn't moving! Don't even get me going about the ramp situation, lol.

• Like 2

That's impossible. Deer can't grab popcorn.

Sure they can but no way their little hooves could work the popcorn button on the microwave! Dead give away!

Good job, Duke (post #61).

So, the end result of that was everyone was happy, each earned respect for the other and you will have probably significantly improved the little boat crew's opinion of those darn ski boats. And you feel better yourself for just doing it. No negatives in that anywhere. :)

The other part of that is if your children were in your boat they had a very nice opportunity to learn how to treat others respectfully. Still no negatives.

Edited by GreenMan
  • Like 2

Good job, Duke (post #61).

So, the end result of that was everyone was happy, each earned respect for the other and you will have probably significantly improved the little boat crew's opinion of those darn ski boats. And you feel better yourself for just doing it. No negatives in that anywhere. :)

The other part of that is if your children were in your boat they had a very nice opportunity to learn how to treat others respectfully. Still no negatives.

Yeah thanks Greenmail.....it did make me feel better when I saw how worried the mother was and how grateful she was for the gesture.

If you can, throw your larger surf side rollers into an empty shoreline vs back into the center of the lake. Surfside rollers are considerably larger, every bit helps.

And they absolutely will swamp another wakeboat over the bow if at idle speed or stationary from the wrong angle.... as in ANY wakeboat.... And smaller ski boats straight over the bow AND the windshield at idle speeds head on. Terrible.

I had a 22MXZ get a roller over my bow a few weeks back, I had 1100lbs in the bow.

It is often misunderstood, but i will frequently speed up a touch when passing others. The added speed REDUCES my wake size. I am being much nicer going past at 28 vs 18 or even 23.

If possible i also try and go wide. Then turn back towards the person i am passing, think fishing boat. This sends virtually my entire wake away from the fisherman, and requires no real effort on my part. This it's only while cruising, with a rider this will not work and no rider wants additional turns. Long straight pulls!

• Like 2

I'm a fisherman as well as a tow boat guy. I know my LSV could pretty easily swamp my 16' Lund so I may be more consciousness than others.

Either way, important to know the laws. One here is the requirement to be 150' or more away from a shore fisherman or moored vessel, and the fact that you are responsible for any damage your wake causes.

If you can, throw your larger surf side rollers into an empty shoreline vs back into the center of the lake. Surfside rollers are considerably larger, every bit helps.

And they absolutely will swamp another wakeboat over the bow if at idle speed or stationary from the wrong angle.... as in ANY wakeboat.... And smaller ski boats straight over the bow AND the windshield at idle speeds head on. Terrible.

I had a 22MXZ get a roller over my bow a few weeks back, I had 1100lbs in the bow.

had a G25 pass us during a surf pick up and I simply turned high side toward its huge rollers and had no issues and I had 800 (with riders) in the bow. its all about timing

I am courteous out on the water. Try to throw the wake where it won't bother people. I am at tablerock lake this week, it is pretty easy to accommodate others. I hardly ever see skiers never footers because we usually go out around 11am or so. The lake we use at home is very small ..400 acres...and there is a counter clockwise rule. Am mindful of the wake there because 4 wake boats can chop it up pretty good. Also there are docks and slips on the shoreline. I do the best I can. A word on tubing...I never ride a tube...what's the point. I used to pull my kids on tube until the started boarding and now surfing. I now pull my grandson on a tube, gentle rides. Everybody here hates tubers..myself included..but I have to do it sometimes. If I am pulling a tuber and see a wakeboat I give them as much leeway as I can.