Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sharing the water

DarkSide

Yeah maybe I'm a butthole but I will NEVER drop my rider to protect someone elses "glass". If you want more glass, get out earlier in the day.

I love comments about people nearly getting "flipped" over by these astonishing surf waves. I've never seen a surf roller flip someone or swamp someone and probably never will. Is it uncomfortable for a minute to take a roller? Sure. Is there a potential to take on a bit of water? Maybe. However, so is taking a roller from a huge I/O. It is part of boating.

My number one priority is the safety of my crew, riders, myself and other boaters.

My advice is for everyone to get their man cards out and be safe. If it is not dangerous and everyone is following the law....get over it...

All it is is basic courtesy respecting that skier's opportunity in that moment to have a wake-free run at that moment.

I find it ironic you're concerned about other boaters' safety, yet you're not willing to forego a few moments to allow someone a safe start/run on their feet at 40mph.

Does a mancard require me to be inconsiderate and act as if I own the water? Come on. Just a little give and take goes a long way, and more is certainly needed, not the other way around.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 2

Yeah maybe I'm a butthole but I will NEVER drop my rider to protect someone elses "glass". If you want more glass, get out earlier in the day.

I love comments about people nearly getting "flipped" over by these astonishing surf waves. I've never seen a surf roller flip someone or swamp someone and probably never will. Is it uncomfortable for a minute to take a roller? Sure. Is there a potential to take on a bit of water? Maybe. However, so is taking a roller from a huge I/O. It is part of boating.

My number one priority is the safety of my crew, riders, myself and other boaters.

My advice is for everyone to get their man cards out and be safe. If it is not dangerous and everyone is following the law....get over it...

If I'm parked in my fishing boat, I guarantee your surf roller would come over the side and flood/sink it. When I'm in the bu people love to get super close to me when they're surfing for some reason.

All it is is basic courtesy respecting that skier's opportunity in that moment to have a wake-free run at that moment.

I find it ironic you're concerned about other boaters' safety, yet you're not willing to forego a few moments to allow someone a safe start/run on their feet at 40mph.

Would I drop a rider or stop from a cruise for the sole purpose of protecting someone's glass? Heck no.

If we were just chilling or waiting to pull would I let someone else go first if they were footing or skiing? Absolutely.

So I suppose it depends on the situation but if safety is a concern then that will take priority. If the safety of the person starting on their feet is in question, then I would stop. If someone's water quality is concerned, I couldn't care less.

Id love to see the conversation on my boat if I dropped a surfer......"sorry boys can't surf here there's a skier up ahead".

With that said, if you want to ski and wakeboard most lakes you have to get up early anyway. our usual meeting time is 2pm weekday and 10 am weekend....and we usually have the place to ourselves. On the rare occasion we do come across a skier/ wakeboarder its usually blown out and they are just hacks skiing in crappy water to begin with.

So every boat is supposed to throttle down and shut off their engines if they see a boat attempting a ski start?

No, I'm not suggesting that. The scene painted was one of a "glass moment" with no one around as I understood it. 2pm on a holiday weekend and someone trying to ski? That's their problem!

Would I drop a rider or stop from a cruise for the sole purpose of protecting someone's glass? Heck no.

If we were just chilling or waiting to pull would I let someone else go first if they were footing or skiing? Absolutely.

So I suppose it depends on the situation but if safety is a concern then that will take priority. If the safety of the person starting on their feet is in question, then I would stop. If someone's water quality is concerned, I couldn't care less.

Fair (er) enough. I don't think that's too unreasonable. Unless its early in the morning!

Id love to see the conversation on my boat if I dropped a surfer......"sorry boys can't surf here there's a skier up ahead".

With that said, if you want to ski and wakeboard most lakes you have to get up early anyway. our usual meeting time is 2pm weekday and 10 am weekend....and we usually have the place to ourselves. On the rare occasion we do come across a skier/ wakeboarder its usually blown out and they are just hacks skiing in crappy water to begin with.

You got me snickering on this post. 10 am on weekends to get smooth water. If you are not on Lake Sammamish at sunrise on a weekend you can forget smooth water until the next day. At least during the summer.
  • Like 2

My dock sits 3 feet above the water and I consistently get rollers across the top of my dock and I'm back probably 75 yards inside the no wake zone. To compare the wakes of I/O's pulling tubes to those of a surf boat is a joke. I get it that tubers mess up clean water, but in no way do they disrupt it more than surfers. I ski and my kids are learning to wakeboard and I think surfing looks cool and I would love to learn, but surfers more than most need to really aware of how disrupting their wakes are.

I won't drop a rider to give someone else glass. What I will do is try to stay behind them following at a very safe distance. If we meet head on I try to cross into the wakes immediately after I pass them. I will come to a full stop if I am just cruising or if I am pulling kids on kneeboards or a tube for that matter even though I don't make a habit of pulling tubes in a cove. It's common courtesy. I try to give the respect I would want. To much me first mentality in this world. I'll wait until their rider gets in the boat before I start my session of I am not already riding.

• Like 2

This is for saxton15's post #29 as well as Lance B etc. (I can't get the 'Quote - reply directly to this post' thing to work - anyone else having trouble with that...?)

No, I definitely don't expect everyone to stop for the skier. I might not have explained it clearly. It might be nice if those towing a tube would pull up. Maybe if the others have had a pretty good, long run, they might consider that they've done OK so far and might give the others a run or whatever. If I had, say, just got some newby up and running on a ski or board I am not going to dump them back in the water and ruin their moments of joyous terror just because a skier is ready to go. If I have a skier who's not long been up, I'll keep going etc. But in some circumstances I'm more than happy to pull up and let the other guy go. I guess I was just trying to note that a bit of co-operative respect can go a long way and that those who seem to show arrogant selfishness are not likely to earn respect or a 'freebie' from others.

Edited by GreenMan

Greenman is being courteous...that is all.

Darkside, your lake sounds like not so fun, but I would still like to go and see for myself.

My roller will absolutely swamp a basshole's boat.

Last but not least...I do sense a little bit of Hatin on Wakesurfing...

Edited by Afun

It cracks me up how everybody trashes tubers on here while thinking surfing is perfectly fine. I would rather see 5 tubers than one surfer.

Dude, surfers dont create the bathtub effect. Get a small clue, the bathtub effect is the death knell for ANYONE riding anything flat, skiis, surf boards, air chairs, wakeboards, kne boards, coffee tables, discs, skurfing boards.

Edited by saidainc

^^^^exactly. Taking 3+ foot rollers in a no wake zone.

I think he lives in Santa Cruz

I call BS

Call BS all you want. I've seen it. Broke a cleat off my dock.

Dude, surfers dont create the bathtub effect. Get a small clue, the bathtub effect is the death knell for ANYONE riding anything flat, skiis, surf boards, air chairs, wakeboards, kne boards, coffee tables, discs, skurfing boards.

I have a clue. I see it every weekend. Multiple surfers riding in the same area.

I have a clue. I see it every weekend. Multiple surfers riding in the same area.

Well lets see, you just gave us the thumbs up with your own answer.

MULTIPLE SURFERS RIDING IN THE SAME AREA vs. some douchebag pulling toobers.

I think Ill take option A

Watching tubers is kinda like watching a squirrel trying to cross a busy road.
Twitchy little fella's, and you never know what direction they're doing to actually end up in.

• Like 3