Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1993 Malibu Echelon Rocker Switches - How To Remove?

I need to remove some of the Rocker switches on my instrument panel to inspect and possibly replace. It looks like I may need a tool or a unique removal method. I was able to get the rocker switch panel pulled out away from the instrument panel, exposing the rocker switch assemblies, but I could not figure out how to manipulate them to pop off the switch or pull it out for inspection of the contacts.

BTW, the reason I am doing this is primarily to troubleshoot the computron. It stopped displaying any of the functions and just says "LET GO". Looking at the manual, it may be as simple as one of the switches being stuck in the wrong position.

Thanks in advance!

Been a long time since I've had that panel off but I swear they were like every other rectangular switch and held in at the top and bottom by a plastic spring holder seen here:

post-12034-0-54437600-1436828299_thumb.j

Take a pliers and gently squeeze the top and bottom from behind and wiggle forward.

But beyond that you can pull wires off with them in place for testing.

picture? I'm trying to visualize the switches and my brain is failing me

Not the best pic but all I have right now. Radio to the right of the wheel and switches, key, and depth finder knobs to the left.

post-12034-0-09031300-1436832456_thumb.j

ahh yes, I remember those now (dang, I sound old!) They were a bit tricky to get out, I ended up using channel-lock pliers to squeeze the tabs to release them.

If you're just troubleshooting, as was mentioned earlier, just remive a wire from each switch one by one (reconnecting as you go) until you find the culprit switch. It may be easier to detach the panel from the dash so you aren't upside down with the wires, but sitting in the drivers seat.