Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Helm Dash Rattle from sub vibrations

Stevo

Has anyone had to dynamat or similar product to their dash to limit noise created from a subwoofer.

IMHO, the dash is this lightweight chincy plastic covered in vinyl. I haven't gotten under the helm to see if it has been attached propperly. But if it is what is a cost effective way to remedy this?

I know mine use to vibrate right where the dash meats the windshield. I stuck something small in between the two and it stopped. I'm sure a layer of Dynamat either on the deck of the helm or the dash would help a lot either way.

If it's two items vibrating against each other Dynamat isn't the answer. Dynamat is designed to add weight to metal panels and keep them from resonating audibly. You could use it for thickness between panels but it's expensive and has a hard backing so that's not it's ideal usage. Some closed cell foam or even single-sided adhesive weather stripping would be more cost effective and better suited. Then make sure all fasteners are in place and secure and as a last resort see if there is a way to add more fasteners to the problem areas that are left without being ugly.

I had some dynamat left over from another job so I used it. I covered a section of the plastic from underneath and cut some small strips to wedge on the sides. Easy to access. Just take the dash plate out. In mine anyways 05vlx.

Has anyone had to dynamat or similar product to their dash to limit noise created from a subwoofer.

IMHO, the dash is this lightweight chincy plastic covered in vinyl. I haven't gotten under the helm to see if it has been attached propperly. But if it is what is a cost effective way to remedy this?

There are nuts that hold the maliview in place under helm. You need to look up above the steering wheel column. Mine were coming loose on my 2013, I ended up replacing them with nylock nuts and it tightened up the display and stopped the vibration I was having from the sub. Might be worth a look, would not be surprised if those two nuts are coming loose.

There are usually a variety of causes for dash noise and a variety of materials, hardware, and techniques used as fixes.

A sound damping material helps one type. It's easy enough to apply pressure with your hand to various surfaces in order to mute the resonance while playing the subwoofer. Once you localize the noise it is fairly easy to deduce the cause of noise, whether it is an edge to edge issue like jl13 described or loose hardware that Fman described or a panel resonance that will be helped by a sound damping material.

Single best trick i've used in locating rattles is to take the microfiber cloth you use to wipe down your boat and start placing them in various spots under the dash until the rattles go away. I've done that several times on the water with boaters. Pressure on the surface doesn't really accomplish anything. You need to address it from the inside of the dash area. Replace wipe down rags with foam as Jk13 suggested. And absolutely check your nuts.