Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 VLX Surf Setup

jcarr343

I am having a lot of problems setting up my 09 VLX for port side surfing.

Here is how I have been setting it up so far:

MLS Left and Center full (my front tank will not fill - I think its a defect with the 09s)

400lb bag in the surf locker

400lb bag on the floor.

Wedge all the way down

A couple kids in the bow (100lbs)

Some adults on the surf side seats (300lbs - 450lbs )

I have played around with the 400lb floor sac and speed. We normal run between 10 and 10.8 mph.

The only way we could get a rider with good slack in the rope was doing 8.8-9 MPH, and he was right next to the platform at that speed. I have a lot of trouble keeping up with the boat. It seems like the board is just plowing water and way too slow. I have tried putting a lot of weight on my from foot (sank the tip of the board once), and that still does not help.

We just ordered another 750lb sac for the rear locker so that will free up another 400lbs for somewhere else in the boat. Is the extra 750lb going to make that much of a difference? I see so many videos of riders hanging out a good distance from the boat and have no trouble without a rope.

I think 750 in the rear locker is the minimum and yes it will make a difference.

This past weekend we ran 750 lbs in the rear locker and then another 300 lbs of lead bags under the rear seat on the surf side and then a 100 lbs in the nose on the surf side. With a crew of 4, it worked nicely.

Wave was plenty ride able and ran about 2600 rpm with a 1235 prop.

I almost wish I could get a 900lb bag for the locker.

I was thinking about doing 750lb in the rear locker, 400lb on the surf side seat, and 400lb in the bow. What speed should I be running at with that setup?

Also, I have the wedge all the way down, if I move it up a little, the bow will rise too much and the surf wave washes out quickly.

I was thinking about doing 750lb in the rear locker, 400lb on the surf side seat, and 400lb in the bow. What speed should I be running at with that setup?

Also, I have the wedge all the way down, if I move it up a little, the bow will rise too much and the surf wave washes out quickly.

That set up is what I have been running lately. Wave is mid thigh high with lots of push when running about 10.8-11.2. I run my wedge all the way down as well, and have tried the 2 clicks up like a lot of people suggest but the wave washes out so I put the wedge back down.

You may also need to verify/calibrate your speedometer. Mine was off my a little over 1 mph when I checked mine with a handheld gps.

More weight in the surfside locker (the 750 you're getting) and more weight in the front (the 400 you're freeing up with the new 750). You can put the 400 you have in the floor now under the seats on the port side to get it out of the way it should just fit. If you have enough prop to push it you can set another bag on top of the surf side of the locker.

Take a look at that front ballast MLS pump you can probably access it from the bilge opening by the driver's seat. Not much to em. You really gonna need more than the 400 weight bag in the front but it is a good start.

The pump runs just fine for my front tank. I have pulled it apart and checked everything. The tank just does not fill. Almost like the pump is not getting any water.

Try switching the inerds and/or pump with one that does work? Check the lever that opens it up to the lake?

Just trying to brainstorm here! We gotta get you more ballast up front.

I have switched the pumps around and everything it working on the front fill pump. Also, the valve it open to the water. I was able to get the front tank to fill once when we were docked and filling ballast, but it was just that one time. I had two adults sitting up there while it was filling, not sure if that made a difference or not.

Try undoing the hose and blowing through it. May be plugged with seaweed, this happened once to me on a rear bag and works great now. That is why I am usually cruising along at 5 mph as I am filling now or go to the center of the lake with no weeds.

We went out last night and played around with the setup. We were able to get all riders to surf without the rope! This was totally addicting and it almost seemed easier once you throw the rope. We could focus on our weight over the board and anticipate speed corrections.

Here is our setup from last night.

MLS: Rear surf side, center, and front (it was filling again)

750lb bag in surf side locker

400lb bag on surf side deat

400lb bag in the bow

two adults on surf side plus adult driver

wedge all the way down

For speed, we started out at around 11 mph, and the wave was nice and long, but had no push. We could not get any slack in the rope at all. We tried between 9.4 and 9.6 and it was much better. It seemed very easy to find the sweet spot and stay in the wave.

The only issue with going this slow is that we seemed very close to the boat and the wave was a little short. How can I get it a little longer and still have nice push? Also, how are some of the others running 11+ MPH and keeping up with he boat? Do I need more weight?