Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bent Prop

Guys, we were out doing some surfing this past weekend and all was good right until the end of the day. We have had a ton of rain the past couple weeks and lots of debris in the water. I knew that I hit a few small chunks of wood, but non appeared to be more that 6 inches long. I am thinking I might have hit one that was right below the water. When we started to take off I could not get above 6 MPH without a pretty bad shake. I did notice a few dings in the prop and one about the size of the end of your pinky finger. Would that be a large enough ding to cause that much of a shake?

Would I be better off order a new prop and then sending this one off to get repaired and balanced and keep it for a spare?

By the way I have a 2013 A22. I did but it used, so I assume it is the standard prop. I do have the standard 350 motor.

yes, that would be plenty to cause vibration. Plus, the whole blade could be bent and you might not notice it.

I would order a new prop and send that one for repair.

That way you have a spare next time

If its the size of your pinky this is a extremely minor repair. A good prop shop can turn the repair around in less than 24hrs and the prop will be as good as new.

To make you feel better, my aluminum trailer had a bad weld on the support pole and it broke off when loading and the boat swung over and hit the cage HARD. Called the prop shop I told them the prop was "destroyed". When I pulled up for the estimate the repair guy called this damage "minor", and that anything bent on a prop that does not extend down to the root is basically a very simple repair and tune. Prop was repaired in 1 day fully balanced, good as new. $100.

https://goo.gl/photos/Fzi6VSKX6CsPThze8

Edited by Sride

Definitely take/send for repair and pick up a spare. Don't know where you are at, but this is my local prop shop and they do a ton of ship in/out repair as well

http://www.propmd.com

+1 for PropMD - they just fixed mine a couple of weeks ago. Our prop was mangled and they got it running like new!

Thanks guys for the info....

Is there any chance that it could be something else that I am missing? I hate to spend the money on a new prop and puller, then it be something else. I did the wire test hanging down to attempt to check the clearance, but if there was any difference it was very minimal. I did pay close attention to the shaft while spinning the prop and it appeared to be true and straight to the naked eye.

Oh and I am in the middle Tennessee area if any knows of any local shops in my area.

Here is a couple pics of the two blades with damage.

IMG_6783_zpsx3w1ml7f.jpg

IMG_6784_zpsc5knjdbr.jpg

Edited by Garner

That'll do it. Doesn't take much to induce noticeable vibration.

A spare prop and the gear to change it is a great investment that you're likely to use again one day (or two...). Lets you get back on the water for more fun in no time.

Something like this is one way to get it and add your prop of choice:

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2164

That'll do it. Doesn't take much to induce noticeable vibration.

A spare prop and the gear to change it is a great investment that you're likely to use again one day (or two...). Lets you get back on the water for more fun in no time.

Something like this is one way to get it and add your prop of choice:

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2164

Yep, that is what I was looking at along with a 2247 prop.

I sent mine in to OJ who originally sold me the prop. They offered to do the repair for free if I bought a spare. I already have one so I didn't bite but I thought it was a good deal.

Oh and I am in the middle Tennessee area if any knows of any local shops in my area.

Here is a couple pics of the two blades with damage.

IMG_6783_zpsx3w1ml7f.jpg

IMG_6784_zpsc5knjdbr.jpg

I got a little of that on my 2315 and no noticeable shake, shimmy, vibration. I haven't decided to take it to the prop shop.