Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plastic freshwater coolant fitting popped out?...

I have a 2010 VLX, I was surfing this weekend and the plastic freshwater coolant fitting that connects the coolant hose to the exaust manifold popped out. I looks to be melted from the heat from the manifold. Has anyone experienced this same issue?

I've not experienced it but it certainly suggests that at some point your engine has been running with insufficient coolant flow. The manifold would need to be way above normal operating temperature to melt that fitting. Better check the one on the other side, too.

Fwiw, when I realised my boat had plastic fittings, I acquired a pair as on-board spares in my tool kit. I was more concerned about them getting broken if they got a knock or whatever but cooking the engine is another way to do it...

Yep, what engine do you have?

If running in brackish water & you have some tell tail signs of water seeping from the threaded connection, could also have some corrosion in the manifold thread.

I have the Monsoon 350 with EXT manifolds

Replaced mine with the same as original.

Cleaned out the tapped hole with a tap as the new fitting would cross thread with the corroded thread.

Used pink Teflon thread tape, it is thicker than the white tape. The pink tape is normally used on irrigation plastic fittings.

There is a cooling system upgrade to the Minsoon 350 which improves water flow to keep the manifolds cooler

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50095-etx-cat-cooling-system-upgrade/

• 3 weeks later...

I followed the advise of G-Mack and installed the cooling system upgrade and problem solved. Way cooler operating temp and no worries about starving the high side exaust manifold when surfing. A definite must do mod and was only about 45 bucks in parts.

• 1 month later...

Sent off an enquiry to Lary @ Indmar about these nylon elbows.

His response below

You could use brass fittings to replace any of those fittings in the manifold. Brass and nylon fittings are used because they typically do not lead to electrolysis. If you can find the appropriate brass fittings it is perfectly acceptable to use them.

We used the brass fitting at the top of the manifold because the manifold sometimes gets warmer at that point and the nylon fittings did not like the extra heat. The 90 degree and straight fittings in the lower positions typically saw much cooler water and did not justify the extra cost of using brass fittings but if they would have required brass fittings, they would not have caused any issues.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Marine Engines

Sent off an enquiry to Lary @ Indmar about these nylon elbows.

His response below

[]You could use brass fittings to replace any of those fittings in the manifold. Brass and nylon fittings are used because they typically do not lead to electrolysis. If you can find the appropriate brass fittings it is perfectly acceptable to use them. []

[]We used the brass fitting at the top of the manifold because the manifold sometimes gets warmer at that point and the nylon fittings did not like the extra heat. The 90 degree and straight fittings in the lower positions typically saw much cooler water and did not justify the extra cost of using brass fittings but if they would have required brass fittings, they would not have caused any issues.

[]Larry Engelbert[]

[]Indmar Marine Engines[]

Quoted so that I could actually read it. What is with the yellow?

Sorry guys on the yellow.

Try this

You could use brass fittings to replace any of those fittings in the manifold. Brass and nylon fittings are used because they typically do not lead to electrolysis. If you can find the appropriate brass fittings it is perfectly acceptable to use them.

We used the brass fitting at the top of the manifold because the manifold sometimes gets warmer at that point and the nylon fittings did not like the extra heat. The 90 degree and straight fittings in the lower positions typically saw much cooler water and did not justify the extra cost of using brass fittings but if they would have required brass fittings, they would not have caused any issues.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Marine Engines