Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rough running engine, with full fuel tank

I have an 89 skier that I recently bought. This weekend is the first time I accually filled up the gas tank full. Usually I just fill about half way. After a few laps around the lake the idle got real low, it wouldnt idle in gear at all. I cranked up the idle some to keep it running. When it was in gear it was running real rough. When I shut the engine down for a few minutes I had a real hard time getting it started. I noticed when I got down to about 3/4 to a 1/2 tank of fuel it started running good again, and the idle speed got high, so I had to turn it down some. I had recently changed the plug wires, it has a new distributer cap, points and condenser. I think it is something fuel related but I and not sure. Looking for any info on what I should try next . Thanks Mike

If this happens again with a full tank, open the fuel fill to vent the tank to see if the problem goes away. Be careful not to slosh fuel out the fill as you test it.

Could be as simple as a wasp/other nest in your vent fitting/line. Or, maybe you got some bad gas.

Ok, it happened again yesterday. I started out wiht the tanks nearly full, after initial startup it ran great. I stopped for about an hour. Went back out to do some skiing. It started but wouldnt idle. I removed the gas cap to see if that would make any difference but it did not. I had to crank up the idle speed to keep running. This time I noticed when I was pulling a skier up the engine kind of hesitated a couple of times. My friends though that I was messing around with the throttle when I was pulling them up but I wasnt. It also did this when I made real sharp turns. I replace the fuel filter three day ago so I know that is not the problem. I dont know what else to check. Anyone have any ideas????

I'm assuming your engine is carb?

Where was the fuel filter you replaced and do you know how many your boat has? I'm thinking your boat has two filters: One inline in the fuel line and one canister type mounted on the engine (looks like an oil filter). Which one did you change and can you locate the other?

Could the problems you describe be caused by a failing fuel pump or accelerator pump?

COME ON CREW, GIVE THIS GUY SOME IDEAS!!!

I'm no carb. guy but, whenever I hear of an engine running poorly during sharp turns, it's usually a (float?) bowl level issue.

I think your due for a carb rebuild.

Yeah,

If you can't remember the last time someone went through it, I'd have it rebuilt just for peace of mind.

As far as fuel filters go I just replaced the canister type. I think I found part of the problem, On the top of the gas tank there is a fitting where the rubber gas line fits on to. I unscrewed the fitting from the tank. It has some kind of check ball inside of it. In between the check ball and the spring was a bunch of like plastic shavings, which I think was causing the check ball to get stuck closed. I ran her on the fake lake and it seemed to run alot smoother, I also adjusted the timing, it was a couple degrees retarded. I went out today to try it on the lake, and my sea water pickup pump self destructed. I took that apart when I got home and found the rubber impeller inside literally in pieces. Whats next?? Ranting.gif Anyways does anybody know what the check ball in that fitting does, Also why is there no return fuel line?? On cars you have return line, it is the same engine that they use in cars. Thanks for your feedback, Mike