Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Saw something that made me a little sick today

isellacuras

Today was the last day for my local lake to be open. Due to low water levels, Folsom lake will have a 5 MPH speed restriction on it. I hate going out on weekends but I figured what the heck and headed out for the afternoon. While I was pulling my 6 year old on the kneeboard I watched in horror as a brand spankin new beautiful white and black flake MXZ was surfing and ran right up on the rocks. It happened about 2-300 yards away from me so I made a B line to make sure they were ok and give them a hand. While on my way over, my daughter fell and I had to circle around to pick her up. There were 3 people on the boat and they quickly jumped out of the boat and started trying to push it off. It was about 3/4 beached and up at about a 45 degree angle. By the time I got there they put it in reverse and goosed it and were able to pull it off. I asked if they were ok. As you can imagine, they were visibly shaken but everyone was ok. The driver said "I wasn't looking where I was going". He was draining ballast and heading slowly back to the ramp. I asked if he had any water in the bilge and he said "what's the bilge?" I wanted to take a picture but didn't have my phone handy and didn't want to insult the guy. I could see some damage on the underside but curious as to the damage that occurred. Luckily for him, there was no water coming into the boat so hopefully it is an easy fix and more importantly, I hope he learned to keep his head on a swivel.

No such thing as an easy fix when it comes to underwater strike. Guessing he did a MINIMUM of $10k damage.

That number wouldn't surprise me at all.

I asked if he had any water in the bilge and he said "what's the bilge?" I wanted to take a picture but didn't have my phone handy and didn't want to insult the guy.

that pretty much sums it up right there.

Insurance will cover it.

• Like 2

It's malibus/dealer fault. He wasn't aware that the depth finder wouldn't predict lake depth.... Therefore he will be on this forum in no time ranting....

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
  • Like 3

I just checked my CA DMV paperwork and not only is this guy looking at a large repair bill but a citation from the state once he files an insurance claim. In California you have to immediately self report any accident with more than $750 in damage.

For thise of you in CA, check that back of your registration (not title) to see what I'm talking about.

I guess he'll have some insult with that injury...

It's malibus/dealer fault. He wasn't aware that the depth finder wouldn't predict lake depth.... Therefore he will be on this forum in no time ranting....

With a screen name of "Ontherocks" or something, he'll come on with a question like, "you guys think I should call my insurance company or will I be able to buff this out?"

• Like 3