Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Malibu 21 LSV...Can't find cause of warning alarm

New boat to me this weekend and a problem arose after about 4 hours of use. A chirping alarm that goes off every 4 seconds or so does not seem to have a reason for sounding off. All gauges seem to be in normal operating ranges. Volts at 14, temp tops out at about 165, oil pressure starts at about 60 (it seems to hunt around a more than what I think is normal but that may be a separate issue that some may have a comment on). Oil level is good. The alarm starts up shortly after cold start so I don't think it can be temperature related. V-drive and transmission fluid levels were low but I topped them up. The v-drive light is on when in neutral but goes off when in gear.

Any advice as for things to look at or do would be appreciated.

Oil pressure switch. Pull the brown wire off of the small switch down near the oil filter. If the problem goes away the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Fairly common issue on boats of that vintage. If the engine is running and beeper is going it may take 10 seconds or so for it to stop if this is indeed the problem.

• Like 2

That seems to be it. Thanks grandude! I can run it with that wire removed? Oil pressure still registers on the gauge so that wire must just be for the alarm?

Yeah you can still run it but IF you had a loss of oil pressure your boat wouldn't know it. Happened to me on vacation last year, we ran it for a week anyway