Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to master two-foot-in slalom starts.

jk13

I remember doing ice packs 3-4 times/day, I don't remember heat, but I might have. I believe I also used compression on it (ace wrap) and some pool walking. It's been 10 years since I did it, so don't remember the treatment that well...but I sure remember the pop, pain, and time it took to heal, 2-3 months before I was really comfortable to run, ski, physical activities.

Bummer...

Once your past the first 36 hours start heat therapy. Compression is also recommended as is elevating the leg. You want your body to have the easiest way to remove the fluids and heats is a vasodilator and along with compression and elevation is the fastest way to heal. Do not get back on it actively too fast take it easy.

As far as two foot starts all of this has been good info. I do not go into the ball position. I wait for the boat and rope to tighten in a relaxed position with legs bent. Once the boat starts the pull it let it pull me into the position briefly. Once the ski starts to roll up onto the water I start pressing my legs to stand up. You need to make sure that you don't get pull out over the front and if you stay in the ball position too long you will and that is very hard on the back. One thing is to not get lazy on the boom as it can make you get some bad habits. I let people do it once off the boom then I put a handle on it and wrap it around the cable and boom until it hangs down about a foot and let them get up on that once. Then full handle length. Then Tower and finally pylon.

• Like 2

Once your past the first 36 hours start heat therapy. Compression is also recommended as is elevating the leg. You want your body to have the easiest way to remove the fluids and heats is a vasodilator and along with compression and elevation is the fastest way to heal. Do not get back on it actively too fast take it easy.

As far as two foot starts all of this has been good info. I do not go into the ball position. I wait for the boat and rope to tighten in a relaxed position with legs bent. Once the boat starts the pull it let it pull me into the position briefly. Once the ski starts to roll up onto the water I start pressing my legs to stand up. You need to make sure that you don't get pull out over the front and if you stay in the ball position too long you will and that is very hard on the back. One thing is to not get lazy on the boom as it can make you get some bad habits. I let people do it once off the boom then I put a handle on it and wrap it around the cable and boom until it hangs down about a foot and let them get up on that once. Then full handle length. Then Tower and finally pylon.

Great post, thanks!

Very similar to how we teach kids skiing and boarding. Once on the boom, once or twice handle length start only and then full length. I think in this case it's mainly to figure out body position, balance, and front/rear foot pressures plus working together with the driver on pull-up throttle usage. I don't think it will take long to figure out, just haven't tried it in so long and never with a boat with this much power. With the old outboard and poor body position I was fighting the boat trying to stand up too quickly and always lost, either tiring out and letting go or tipping over. It's probably been 15 years since I've tried a two foot start.

Edited by jk13

To complicate things further, I've been working on shallow water starts lately. I'm finding sometimes it works great, other times I start out in the right position but bail to the ball.

For shallow water starts, I don't ball up real tight but leave my legs somewhat less compressed and keep my shoulders back, back arched. I tend to pop up with way less spray in my face and can start in 3.5' of water that way without dragging my ski on the bottom.

It's definitely different though, and I'm not yet consistent at it, especially after doing 10 turns, dropping in for a break, then getting back up.

To complicate things further, I've been working on shallow water starts lately. I'm finding sometimes it works great, other times I start out in the right position but bail to the ball.

For shallow water starts, I don't ball up real tight but leave my legs somewhat less compressed and keep my shoulders back, back arched. I tend to pop up with way less spray in my face and can start in 3.5' of water that way without dragging my ski on the bottom.

It's definitely different though, and I'm not yet consistent at it, especially after doing 10 turns, dropping in for a break, then getting back up.

OUr course is in very shallow water and we have to shallow start all the time. The method I use is exactly the same a I use on a deep start except I have the ski laying sideways on the water. Almost like a wakeboard. It is not quite flat as you have to keep your upper body in the correct position. As soon as the boat pulls I move the ski straight. Has worked great and I have gotten up in lower thigh deep water (very muddy bottom) where if tried normally the ski would be buried in mud and it would be impossible

OUr course is in very shallow water and we have to shallow start all the time. The method I use is exactly the same a I use on a deep start except I have the ski laying sideways on the water. Almost like a wakeboard. It is not quite flat as you have to keep your upper body in the correct position. As soon as the boat pulls I move the ski straight. Has worked great and I have gotten up in lower thigh deep water (very muddy bottom) where if tried normally the ski would be buried in mud and it would be impossible

I'd like to see a video of that. :)

Get a hamstring compression sleeve. Hamstrings take a long time to heal, Dr won't do much unless you go to someone that can give you shock stim.

Ice is for pain, not for healing. Compression and movement heal. Sitting hurts it more.

Start doing squats slowing, also for strengthening, sit on a wheeled chair and extend the leg on ground (heel touching only) and pull yourself closer using the leg. Use good one first, bad one may have no strength. Also a good way to know when it is getting better, stronger. Also when getting better start doing lunges.

If that is your front foot on the ski, be very patient. Nothing sucks like hitting a wave with the back foot out and having the ski lunge forward. :) We are quad heavy society, hamstrings get tighter an cause most of our knee and back pains. Keep those hammys strong a flexible. (do as say not as I do. :) )

Get better.

Week 2 update.

Bruise is mostly gone as is most pain. Don't know if it's the knee or the hamstring but when I jog or run there is a tendency to land with that leg locked and it wants to bend the wrong way on a regular basis. Could even be from limping that hip might be trained to be slightly higher. Don't know but if it persists I'll go in and have my doc check out the play in my knee and ligaments to be sure. For now I can jog as long as I'm consciously aware to always land with a bent knee rather than straight legged. No sudden change of direction yet either. Occasional pain with that. Soccer and hockey will wait another week at least. Skiing will be longer.

Edited by jk13

Hamstring may be atrophied and fatigued to the point it extends farther than normal during jogging. Are you back on the bike yet? Should do that geared lightly for a while first I'd think. Ride like there's an eggshell between your foot and the pedals. Don't be afraid to gear way down. Those are good rides for recovery.

Haven't jogged much, just trial steps around the yard and dog park with the fuzzy dude. Was planning a neighborhood bike ride with my daughter because she's not doing the best either. She'll be going in for PT this week I hope. If she is not able I'll get out there myself tonight if this rain holds off and see how it acts.

New member here - for my starts I 1st ask driver "gear please" to get a little drag at idle. As tension comes on rope I compress into a tighter tuck and "hit it". I prefer a slower progressive pull these days vs the quick up - seems easier on my back at 57 yrs now! Happy to brag I am skiing up to 8 passes in a set weekly with a stop at each end of the course. If you have the boom that's a great way to get the feel for the start as that upward pull gets you out of the water easier. A high tower on a short rope can also help with the transition to long line.

Good luck with your hamstring - might want to see Dr or a little formal PT before aggravating an injury on a deep water start!