Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Compass on 2015 Dash?

Cory

Oh well. I guess I'll have to do without the maps. At least I know which direction I'm heading now. Can I record a path without the map data (basically just a line on a blank screen), then retrace that line to get home in the dark?

Not sure, I haven't tried yet. I've got an embarrassingly low number of hours on the boat so far, therefore I haven't had a chance to play with options like that. I use the iPad for track logs right now, but I'll see if I can record a path as I trailer the boat home tomorrow.

Cory, where does this antenna plug into exactly and where did you mount it?

See the picture in post #23 by Mikeo. There is a jack labeled "GPS." It's on the backside of the MTC screen. I haven't mounted the antenna yet, but I plan to just use adhesive backed velcro and stick it to the fiberglass up under the dash. The antenna came with a long cable (like 12 feet or so). If it works in my garage, I'm sure it will be fine under a half inch of fiberglass.

• Like 1

Note, do a hard power cycle at the battery switch after connecting the GPS antenna. It took 30 secs or so after booting up HAL 9000 until the compass started working and the thing started seeing satellites.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to do without the maps. At least I know which direction I'm heading now. Can I record a path without the map data (basically just a line on a blank screen), then retrace that line to get home in the dark?

I just trailered the boat home and before I left the storage facility I turned on the dash system and set the chartplotter to record a track. The track did record, and I can tell the system to retrace the track log for navigation. I'll post a picture when the kids go to bed and I can connect when th my laptop instead if cellphone.

I just trailered the boat home and before I left the storage facility I turned on the dash system and set the chartplotter to record a track. The track did record, and I can tell the system to retrace the track log for navigation. I'll post a picture when the kids go to bed and I can connect when th my laptop instead if cellphone.

While map data would be nice, this would work well if you go out a night and there is little to no moonlight or shore lights to guide you home. Trace your path to your destination. When it gets dark, do your best to keep the boat close to the line and you will find your way home, even without map data.

Edited by Cory

While map data would be nice, this would work well if you go out a night and there is little to no moonlight or shore lights to guide you home. Trace your path to your destination. When it gets dark, do your best to keep the boat close to the line and you will find your way home, even without map data.

So this is like leaving a trail of virtual bread crumbs?

Actually may come in handy on our next trip to Banks Lake. We love taking the boats out a dusk for night swimming in amongst the rock coves, but there are no shore lights for a few miles of the journey. If the moon isn't bright, it can be a little disorientating and there are plenty of shallow locations and a hard rocky shoreline. My virtual bread crumbs (or Theseus' virtual string) is a good fallback to have.

Note, do a hard power cycle at the battery switch after connecting the GPS antenna. It took 30 secs or so after booting up HAL 9000 until the compass started working and the thing started seeing satellites.

Cory, did you try it without the reset first? I'd be really surprised if it didn't work by just hooking the antenna up, whether the power was on or not. The GPS will take a while to find satellites the first time, so maybe you didn't wait long enough.

How are you checking to see if WAAS is active? That should not be a function of the antenna, since it uses the same L1 band signals also.

There is a screen that shows the signal strength of the various different satellites being received and their location in the sky. The WAAS signal has no bars.

My $10 antenna did not work. Battery switch off, connected the antenna, turned battery on, turned power on, waited 5 mins, nothing. Redid the steps above, still nothing. Hmmmm.......

I think Cory owes you 10 bucks... :whistle:

My $10 antenna did not work. Battery switch off, connected the antenna, turned battery on, turned power on, waited 5 mins, nothing. Redid the steps above, still nothing. Hmmmm.......

Are you sure you screwed the antenna plug into the correct jack (not the wifi jack)? There should be two side-by-side jacks: one labeled wifi (which is for bluetooth) and the other labeled GPS. They are on the backside of the MTC/Viper unit.

Pulled out from under the awning and it fired up, however, it's bouncing all over the place for direction. I'll be on the water tomorrow, so we'll see. What screen is it that tells you how many satellites it's tracking?

Pulled out from under the awning and it fired up, however, it's bouncing all over the place for direction. I'll be on the water tomorrow, so we'll see. What screen is it that tells you how many satellites it's tracking?

I'm guessing you weren't moving in a particular direction (just stationary). The compass is GPS based (not magnetic), which means you need to be moving for it to pick up an accurate direction. Is your awning metal (e.g., corrugated aluminum)? If so, that would block a signal for sure. Touch the screen, then press the GPS button and you will see a satellite map and signal strength meters.

Edited by Cory

To be more clear, press maps on the MTC screen (small side screen), then touch the MTC screen anywhere in the middle, then press the GPS button (bottom right I believe). This will bring up the satellite map and signal strength bars.

Edited by Cory