Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HPG Fuel Consumption 05 VLX

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if my boat is burning more gas then normal. I have an 05 VLX with stock ballast including bow plus an extra 800 (300 in bow, 500 above rear tanks) not using the wedge. It seems like everytime we ride usually 2-3 hours we use about $60 in gas about 22 gallons 87 octane. Does this sound right? My rpms are are around 4000 when riding at 23. I'm just comparing this to my old Nautique which was much better on gas.

Thanks,

Johnny

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out if my boat is burning more gas then normal. I have an 05 VLX with stock ballast including bow plus an extra 800 (300 in bow, 500 above rear tanks) not using the wedge. It seems like everytime we ride usually 2-3 hours we use about $60 in gas about 22 gallons 87 octane. Does this sound right? My rpms are are around 4000 when riding at 23. I'm just comparing this to my old Nautique which was much better on gas.

Thanks,

Johnny

Where are you buying 22 gallons of gas for $60?... I want some!

I'd expect your fuel burn to be ~5gph (+/- 1gph)

Hey WakeKitty.. I think you should double check your figures.. I agree with KenW that your RPM's seem high too. But based on your gas $/gal question, I'm guessing you may not have the "actual" numbers right in front of you, and probalby off the top of your head "rough" numbers ;)

I'm in Orlando gas is about 2.75/gal 87 right now. So where should my rpms be when riding at around 23 mph? Also, I have the monsoon engine.

I have the same boat and $60 of gas (I use 89 octane) would give us about six+ hours of water time. I agree with the others that the RPM numbers seem high. We run our ballast similar to yours and have the Monsoon engine.

Unless there is a read error or a display error in the tach, one of the big variables here is prop pitch. More and more frequently 100% wakeboard boats are dropping the pitch down and increasing the rpms, to push more load easily and not get bogged down on double ups. This might be a senario here. (?)

Peter

SmoothWaterMan,

You might be right on the money with saying it may be a prop pitch issue. The guy I bought the boat from in Tenn. said the factory tuned the prop, I wasn't really sure what that ment however, when I drive at wot the engine rev limiter kicks in at about 47mph.

With the monsoon you should be hitting about 43MPH WOT.

If you're hitting the rev limiter it sounds like a prop issue.

If you like the wake, then I guess you'd better be prepared to sacrifice for the gas... Otherwise go buy a 537 or 857 ACME and you'll see better RPM numbers.

Curious, why don't you run the Wedge? I love what it does to my wake. Also love what it does to the wake on the VLX's I've ridden behind. The peak it adds is sweet. JMO.

I love the wake with the wedge down, but don't like seeing the gas gauge go down so quickly. I already have a problem with my boat burning too much gas. My friends never ship in for gas money either so that really sucks.

I'm going to take the boat out now with my gps and get some more accurate numbers.

What prop does the 05 vlx come with stock, and which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks

I have the monsoon on my 06 VLX and can hit 50 mph no problem. Where do you get 43 is max at WOT?

Interesting to hear, especially since WSM tested the 06 VLX with the 383 HH and could only eek out 47.3mph at 5100rpms. Might want to check that top end with a GPS Surprised.gif

next time out with the friends you need to wear your newely printed shirt in bright colors. "Boats don't run on thanks"

I have the monsoon on my 06 VLX and can hit 50 mph no problem. Where do you get 43 is max at WOT?

No way you're doing 50 with a monsoon. The 2005 sunscape 21.5 tested with the monsoon (which is a lighter boat than your wakesetter) went 45. And thats likely with a higher pitched prop.

I agree that a fair estimate of wakesetter top speed is 43.

On that note, 4000 rpms for 23 mph must mean that the extra weight you added is all in the rear. Am I correct? If you're able to hit the limiter, then you LIKELY have a lower pitched prop, but not 1000 extra rpm low. If the boat is heavily weighted in the back and it's never getting on plane, it would be possible, but you're not going to get 47 mph out of that prop. Something is wrong. That said, start running 89 octane, you'll see a more efficient consumption, and your ECM won't tell on you and possibly void your warranty.

FWIW, our 2001 VLX with the old 325 Monsoon pulled a wind-assisted (no current) 51 MPH on GPS the first year we had it. Of course, that's with the 17.5" prop, no weight, and a different hull. :) The thing really goes with 93 octane, cold water and cold air.

Agree with what others have said though about 4000 being high for 23 MPH. Should be around 3000 MAX if heavily loaded and running the 16.5" prop.

I can hit 50 easily, with some throttle left with smooth water and 2 people in the boat ( only times I've done it is with wife and I). I don't think both my regular and ECM speedos are off by 10 mph.....

Dontknow.gifArgue.gif

Care to make a friendly wager? Tongue.gif

06 VLX w/340 monsoon, nothing else special. Never looked at what the Rpms were doing, but the speedo was 51 when I backed her down.

New VLX only has one speedometer.....both the digital and analog gauge come off the paddle wheel. And they are notorious for reading too fast. Usually 2-3 mph but I've heard of as much as 7-8. FWIW, all of the digital and analog gauges in the boat (temp, fuel, etc) come off the same electronic sensors.

Our 06 with the 383 (with minimal gear and crew) just barely eeked out 45. Our 03, with a Monsoon (335) hit 51 via GPS, not the PP, paddlewheel, speedo.

Where do you get 43 is max at WOT?

I dunno where this comes from at all. Andy, who and what are you riding with and what VLX/prop. If I can get 45 on an 06 with a 537 with crew, I find that statement troubling as well.

But I agree with the previous posts, 23mph @4000 is not right.

Your speedo is not accurate at top speed. Tgaugh's measurement will be much closer to reality. Get a gps & measure it. I get about 47mph (gps) with the 383, Acme 381 (13.5x17.5) at about 3k feet of elevation.

As for the OP's original question, sounds like the prop is wrong. Some boats have been coming from the factory with the 381, some with the 537. But this doesn't sound right for either of those props. I'd check that & go from there.