Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need some help with prop choice

ndahlberg12

Been doing a lot of research on a prop for my 2015 T22 with 350.

I have found a lot of info with the old engine/transmission set up but not much definitive data with the new 1:78 transmission.

Dealer suggested ordering the boat with the 1235 so we did. It has no problem moving the boat when loaded for surfing with bow sac and 750's in the rear and 4-6 people, however, at 11.0-11.2 I'm running close to 4000 RPMS.

Unloaded, pulling my kids at 19-21 it runs about the same RPM's. I would really like to get the RPM's down.

I've talked to Wakemakers, Acme and 2 other companies, getting reccomendations on running a 1941 or 2277. I'm new to the prop changing game so I'm looking to you guys for some help on what would be a better choice for my application whether it be one of the 2 mentioned or another prop.

Hope you don't mind if I throw a question out there while your discussing RPM and the new 350 engine.

With the new gearing, will this engine run a little higher RPM than and equivilent engine with standard gearing but actually work with less "effort"

Kinda like peddaling faster in a lower gear on a bike but less effort?

BTW, I have a 2015 T23 with the same engine. I'm still in the dang break in period so ....the hours are dragging by...

• Like 1

Been doing a lot of research on a prop for my 2015 T22 with 350.

I have found a lot of info with the old engine/transmission set up but not much definitive data with the new 1:78 transmission.

Dealer suggested ordering the boat with the 1235 so we did. It has no problem moving the boat when loaded for surfing with bow sac and 750's in the rear and 4-6 people, however, at 11.0-11.2 I'm running close to 4000 RPMS.

Unloaded, pulling my kids at 19-21 it runs about the same RPM's. I would really like to get the RPM's down.

I've talked to Wakemakers, Acme and 2 other companies, getting reccomendations on running a 1941 or 2277. I'm new to the prop changing game so I'm looking to you guys for some help on what would be a better choice for my application whether it be one of the 2 mentioned or another prop.

I'd betcha the acme 2249 would put you right where you want to be. Same pitch, but more diameter, which will bring rpms down a bit. You will have a bit less top end, but top end on a wake plow isn't really a big deal.

I'd betcha the acme 2249 would put you right where you want to be. Same pitch, but more diameter, which will bring rpms down a bit. You will have a bit less top end, but top end on a wake plow isn't really a big deal.

Shawn - interesting you bring that up, the 2247/2249 (2 for sale in the classifieds) was one I had on my radar prior to contacting some vendors. None of which said it would be a good choice. Like I said I'm new to this so looking for all the help I can get.

I think it's best to make the changes in baby steps... the 2277 is going to be WAY too tall for a 350 if you want to run with weight (even considering the gear reduction tranny). IMHO, etc.

2247 might actually be perfect.... more cup and more pitch should have a big impact on rpms. I bet if you went any further than that and you'd be disappointed with watersports performance.

All guesses, I've used none of those props and not experienced gear reduction tranny. Just guessing based on where you are now and what my experience has been with changing props on my own boats.

I agree with shawn. ACME 2249 or 2247 with the 2247 giving slightly lower rpms than the 2249. Don't forget about OJ though. Might be worth a call to them.

Interesting, Wakemaker recommended the 2247 to me for wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

I have the 350 engine and told them we wakeboard about 2/3rd of the time.

I should be out this weekend and can share my experience with the 350 and 2247

Edited by MystiikVLX

Please do!

I believe Ridebutter is running either the 2247/2249 from what I read on the axis forum, i asked him for a review but have not heard back yet. Ill be curious to see how you do, We never wakeboard with ballast and only run it while surfing. Anything I can do to lower the engine RPM's would make me happier. Just bothers me to be running that high. I am going to try running surf setup tonight with the bags only 2/3 full and see what kind of results we get with that too.

My boat came factory with the 2249. I have not surfed with it yet but will be on vacation all next week and plan to do plenty of it so I will report back my speed/rpm at different points in case this hasn't been answered by then.

My boat came factory with the 2249. I have not surfed with it yet but will be on vacation all next week and plan to do plenty of it so I will report back my speed/rpm at different points in case this hasn't been answered by then.

That would be awesome! Thanks!

What's your elevation where you are? Did you go 900's in the corners?

Edited by ndahlberg12

We are at around 900' and will be at Norris Lake which is about 1000'. What are you at? Just curious for comparison. Yes, I went 900's in the rear and modified the rear drains to move the bags to the back. 650lb bow bag under the seats and the I have 750lb rectangle sack and tsunami pump from my old boat I plan to always bring in case I need more weight somewhere because of a light crew. Will be sure to update the thread with info and pics.

• Like 1

I see this often on this site, a lot of members wanting to lower there RPMs for different water sport activities . What is your actual goal? Are you hoping to burn less fuel? Cause less engine wear because its spinning slower?

The engine is far happier spinning a higher rpm with less throttle and burning all the fuel off. Then being loaded down to achevie less rpm and having to bust a nut at a high throttle angle(TPS reading on the engine) to keep you moving at your 11MPH surf speed.

Having Diacom software and having a ton of experience with these engines and extra ballast has shown me a few things.

higher RPM your engine is at a lower throttle angle then a boat set up with the wrong prop spinning less rpm but needing more throttle to achieve the same speed.

2249 is the high torque factory option for your boat and with the additional ballast your running thats what you should be using. The 1235 will manage to get you through but there will be less cavitation and more propulsion going to the 2249 15" diameter prop. Should lower your rpm as well. Malibu doesn't just take a mathematical guess when giving the dealer/consumer options for prop choices when factory ordering. There is hours of testing that goes into each option and its intent for the boats use.

Edited by PILSNER

I have about 75 hours on my 15 a22 and most of the hours have been using an oj 945 (15x13). RPMs range from 3800 to 4000 when surfing (depending on if I run the wedge) and for wake boarding its around 4000 (running similar weight set ups that most peeps run). I ran the 1235 for a while but the 945 and the new trannie ratio pulls weight with ease (IMO anything more aggressive then this is overkill for the new gear ratio). Like pilsner said its not as much throttle for the same output. I haven't noticed too much more gas consumption unless I spend a lot of time cruising the lake.

I went back and forth about trying to drop the RPM's but stuck with the 945 because of the performance.

2249 15x14.25 is the prop for the 1.78 tranny for MY15. A higher pitch because the prop needs to push the boat further during a revolution as the prop is spinning far less rpm with the gear reduction.

2419 15x12 for the 1.46 MY14-older

Hope that makes some sense of it.

Thanks for the information PILSNER. Good information there.

Yes, my goal was to lower the RPM hoping fuel consumption would drop a marignal amount as well. Reason - I know on my vehicles, the higher the RPM the higher the consumption. I know boats are different animal but its a thought.

You seem to have some exp with these drivetrains, what is your opinion on the 2247 vs 2249?

And correct me if I am wrong but isnt the 2249 the base prop on MY15? That is the prop i originally asked for however the dealer is the one that pushed the 1235.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for some of the axis guys.

I talked to OJ this afternoon and man were they helpful. They recommended their 945 and 948. They said due to the fact I only run ballast while surfing the 948 would be a good choice. He is shipping me a 948 out today so that I can run it this weekend. I can't speak highly enough about their customer service, they really seem to know their stuff. He said if I didnt like it he would help me find the one that fit my needs.

One thing he stressed, is the 1:78 transmissions NEED a 15in prop.

PLEASE update this thread with RPM at different speed/weight setups as well as top speed mph/rpm and gph #'s....I want to buy a spare prop to have on hand but so far the 2249 works good for me.

PLEASE update this thread with RPM at different speed/weight setups as well as top speed mph/rpm and gph #'s....I want to buy a spare prop to have on hand but so far the 2249 works good for me.

If the 948 works for me I will be selling my 1235.

From what I've gathered the OJ 948 will be right between the acme 2247 and the 2249. I'm very excited to try it out.

My boat was around 3500rpm with 900's in the back, 650 bow, 750 sack under observers seat and wedge down. Depending on speed it was 3300-3700.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed on my t23 that since I added 900's in the locker and the 650 bow sac that my rpm's run around 4200 while surfing at around 11 mph. We had 4 people in the boat and no wedge down. I also have the high altitude prop which is listed on my paperwork as 145 x 1425-1235 prop, as that is what the dealer strongly suggested I go with. I tried to pull a wakeboarder with this setup and could not get past 12.5 mph. I even put two people in the bow and it still would not plane out. I had to dump 2/3 of the water out before it would attempt to plane. I can't even get the boat to plane out with the bags full and not pulling anyone. I read about some of you guys going to a more aggressive prop, but I hate to go too much more as my top speed is already down to 31 mph and I have to travel quite a ways up the lake to find good waters to wakeboard at. Do you guys have any suggestions? Dealer told me when I bought it that I should be running 38 mph with that setup and would be able to handle the additional weight of the sacs. That has got me wondering if something is wrong? I am at 360' above sea level.

Edited by cptotr
  • Like 1

You need a prop change. The 1235 isn't a good prop for the 15 and 16 axis with 350. I would recommend an OJ 948 or ACME 2247/2249.

These boats need a 15in prop.

I just put a 2247 on and am testing as we speak. It's very close to the 948 in performance. We primarily surf with an occasional ballast free wakeboard run so which ever one gives me the best fuel usage I will probably sell the other.

The 948 is very smooth operating

Edited by ndahlberg12