Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chine lock?

Smiley

I have a 1998 Malibu Sunsetter and this is my first year on a private ski lake (been skiing on big public lakes up intil this summer). Every once in a while, the boat gets keeled over and doesn't really turn. I have even had to stop it and quickly throw it into reverse to not hit the rocky shore around the turn island. It seems to work real well if I do not start as deep into the turn island area and have more speed when I start my turn. Anyone have any experience with this? Thinking about putting some weight on the passenger side when we ski because when we ski with three people, it doesn't seem to happen. Thoughts?

I don't see why not. May have to fill the old holes and drill new ones.. BUT see if there is enough room under your trailer...

Good luck

Pat

We wakeboard on a private wakeboarding lake. For some reason, Malibus turn left better than right. I can go into the turnaround with wedge down, full ballast, and not backing off of the throttle, making a left turn. If I try the same thing making a right turn, the prop cavitates, and I get chine lock. You can still make the right turn; you just have to back off of the throttle and pay a bit more attention to what you're doing. We have a 2004 LSV with gorilla fins.

Here's where it gets confusing. Our friends have a 2006 X-2. It has the same prop rotation as the Malibu. It does better turning right than left. Our other friends have a 2005 Nautique 210. It has the opposite prop rotation from the LSV and the X-2. It also does better turning right than left. I'm not sure at all what is going on.

As a side note, when we're at the lake, our kids have it rough. They walk up to the docks and they have to decide: Do I want the Malibu, the Nautique, or the X-2?...

Maybe it's just what you're used to, but to me, the Malibu is easier and more fun to drive in a private lake setting where you're making hard U turns constantly. It tracks better, and it goes into and comes out of the turns with far less effort than either the Nautique or the MasterCraft.

Edited by Deltawake

You might want to talk to the owners of the 98 MC Prostar- there are plenty of stories of those things ending up on turn islands and shores with chine lock!

I have a 98 Sunsetter LX. I have 500 hours on it, bought it new and never ever had anything simular to what you describe. Does this happen with the wedge down? Because I have never put my wedge on and have heard they don't turn very good with them down? My boat has never done what your talking about. Still that's weird you say it keels over???

You might want to have a dealer take a look at your hull.

Edited by Sunset_Bob

OK....fill in a guy who went to the lake this weekend and never got the bu off the lift (no my hand is not in a cast because I tried to stop the boat from ramming my truck), my kids were sick and the boss had poison ivy. What the hell is Chine lock? Can I get that extra spicy?

Chine lock is where the boat stands up on it's gunnel (or chine) through a turn. When this happens, most of the rudder, fins and prop are in very little water thus creating no control. In essence, the boat is sliding or skidding through the water. By backing off the throttle, the boat will begin to rest in it's natural position and all the necessary steering gear will re-gain traction in the water.

Had this once with an RLX when it was heavily weighted on the right and the speed was rather low. More speed and even weight distribution means no problem.

Totally agree, as long as we either hit the turn with a little more speed...like 30 mph or we just keep the boat evenly weighted we have no problems...but every once in a while we forget and go for a wild ride...

I just want to throw something else out there, and I'm actually not familiar with it, but I've heard it has similar results of chine lock, and that is...Rudder Stall.

If I understand it correctly, it also occurs in a turn when you crank the wheel hard enough there is no response from the boat. The rudder just plows through the water instead of channeling the water. Not saying it's what you're having, but just food for thought.

I think rudder stall is basically the same as chine lock. I was driving the RLX when it locked on me. Rudder inputs were useless. The rudder is a lot shorter than the entire chine. When that chine gets going in a certain direction and it's locked down into the water, the rudder isn't going to have enough effective area to turn out of it.