Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hoist canopy accoutrements

MALI-MONSTER

I just (finally) got a canopy for our hoist, and I am blown away at the sweetness of having it. I am wondering what you all have done to yours to deck them out. A shelf, lighting, any other must haves? Personally, I'm thinking it is so awesome that I should just turn it into my second man-cave. Maybe run cable to it for a LED TV, a beer fridge, a drop down ping pong table, mount a deer head in the corner, etc.

They are a nice bonus to any waterfront property. I built a very simple and sturdy ski/board rack for underneath mine. Used dimensional cedar (rot resistant and light weight) and only 4 #8 stainless screws. Installs in less than 5 min and can hold a surf board, 2 wakeboards and 4 slalom skis. Great for keeping the boat free of clutter.

Edited by h2o_nhk

I have one of those cargo nets that stretches across the underneath of the front of the canopy and is about 4 feet deep. I use it to store my covers and a few other things. They sell them at overtons for about $80. Been toying around with the idea of adding shelves and racks but havent had the time. Its a great place for storage.

My concern when using it for storage is theft. I could see the net being nice for the cover when we are using the boat but that would probably be it. Everything else gets stored in the garage and we just carry it in and out.

Edited by BlknYlwT22
  • Like 2

@MM: you will really like having the canopy, you can ski right up to the rain or thunder boomer and zip right under the cover without getting drenched putting the boat away. As a skier wanting to minimize the stuff on the boat, I have the boom and barefoot pylon stored there and made a net at the front to toss the cover and wet stuff such as the barefoot handle and rope until they dry off. A good spot for a couple of extra course buoys also. A rope light under the canopy helps for docking / drying in the dark.

A shelf, lighting, any other must haves?

We did lighting on our old one and it looked cool for about 15 mins, but the bugs, oh god the bugs!

Never turned them on after the first night because of how many bugs got all over our s*** because of them.

• Like 2

I just (finally) got a canopy for our hoist, and I am blown away at the sweetness of having it. I am wondering what you all have done to yours to deck them out. A shelf, lighting, any other must haves? Personally, I'm thinking it is so awesome that I should just turn it into my second man-cave. Maybe run cable to it for a LED TV, a beer fridge, a drop down ping pong table, mount a deer head in the corner, etc.

Pics or its not real!

They are a nice bonus to any waterfront property. I built a very simple and sturdy ski/board rack for underneath mine. Used dimensional cedar (rot resistant and light weight) and only 4 #8 stainless screws. Installs in less than 5 min and can hold a surf board, 2 wakeboards and 4 slalom skis. Great for keeping the boat free of clutter.

I'd love to see pictures of that

• Like 1

again, nothing fancy but very functional and easy to install. Lift is a shore station V40108 model. Dimensional cedar cut to slide between canopy tubes with a single support brace held by 4 screws. Skis/boards store binding side down on the top of the rack (I'll grab a pic of this as soon as mother nature lets me get my lift back in the water). Make sure your support brace dimension allows for room between your bindings on wakeboards. Slalom skis fit well closer to the edges where the canopy is closer to the rack. Wakeboards work better in the middle were you have more height for the wider boards and bindings. you can't do chin ups from it but it will hold several boards and skis no problem. Hope this helps.

20150716_171712_zps0e0f06c8.jpg?14371329

20150716_171748_zpsbfcef6f0.jpg?14371329

20150716_171756_zpsd849cf55.jpg?14371329

20150716_171818_zps0b2d8bbd.jpg?14371329

• Like 2

I've got a net across the front of our canopy to dry things out. Jackets, extra fat sac/pump, boat cover, and strada boot liners. Couple cross bars in back from the lift company for our tubes. Same as the wood structure above without the center piece.

I have a light, but don't really use it much. Wiping the boat down late at night or grabbing my gear if we are skiing on another lake the next morning.