Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Big Air Vapor Tower?

jfw432

I've seen a few pictures on the web of a 2001 Malibu Response and a few Malibu Sportsters with the Big Air Vapor Tower. The tower looks like it follows the windshield line really well.

Just curious if anyone on here has experience with this tower and what they think about it? My last boat wasn't a Malibu and it just had one of the barebones towers kind of like the Big Air Ice tower. It got the job done and didn't creak or whistle but it didn't offer very much side to side rigidity. When pulling someone, you'd never know the difference but when we were just going home with boards on it, it would wobble around pretty bad in choppy water.

I'm primarily a skier and don't care about towers that much so I'm not willing to spend a ton of money on a really nice one but if I can spend a little more than the base model at $500-$600 and get something that's more rigid and won't shake the hull so bad, it'd be worth it IMO.

I don't see that tower as any better than what you had before, just more expensive. Still a Chinese tower-in-a-box that you can buy with a few different names on it. Top center still slides together for width adjustment just like your other one, plus this one has even more pieces to flex and cause issue. No thanks in my book.

Do you want a tower for more storage or to actually use as a tower? Starone deluxe will be the most sturdy while not spending an absurd amount. If price is truly the driving factor there have been positive reviews for the Joystick pro series over on TT--and yes I know it's a slide together tower as well. However if you can install the front legs narrower than the back it should give more side-to-side rigidity than the dual top tube towers (think four link suspension if you are familiar).

Noting your not wanting to spend a lot of $$$, Just a FYI, I put Malibu's XTP tower on.

Rock solid, looks great and very functional without any creaks, rattles and rolls!

post-20239-0-84253000-1436365735_thumb.j

• Like 3

We do use the tower for both storage and wakeboarding nearly every time we go out. IMO, a crappy tower is still better than a fly high pole attached to the pylon. I usually teach people how to ski and board on a tower as well. However, I personally don't wakeboard as much as I used to so I only use the tower a handful of times a year.

Edited by jfw432

The one thing you want to watch for in a cheep twr, its ability to twist, move and in turn

create stress cracks in your gel! Not worth the damage IMHO

Noting your not wanting to spend a lot of $$$, Just a FYI, I put Malibu's XTP tower on.

Rock solid, looks great and very functional without any creaks, rattles and rolls!

I like that tower also, but isnt it just a factory option only, didn't think you could get it after market

I like that tower also, but isnt it just a factory option only, didn't think you could get it after market

The XTP tower is a Malibu OEM from XTP for Malibu's Response. You can only

acquire this baby through Malibu.