Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wax Streaking

Hi All,

For the past 13 years I've waxed my 2001 Sunsetter LXi with Babe's Boat Bright every time I pulled off the water (after drying with an Absorber). It is mostly white with a solid blue stripe about a foot wide. It always looked shiny and fantastic. I never had water spots on the blue stripe and there we never any streaks from the wax.

I recently upgraded to a new 2014 Wakesetter 23 LSV. It is primarily red and black. I followed the same procedure: dried the boat and then waxed it. After I was finished I could see wax streaks in many places around the boat. I tried to buff them out using the waxing rag and elbow grease but didn't really get any headway. They remained. The boat wasn't particularly hot either.

The last time we took it out, we dried as usual but did not wax. The boat looks great. There are a few small places (tiny) that had leftover water spots but Babe's Spot Solver works wonders on them so I'm not too worried.

So my question is, how do I maintain the gel coat? I feel like it needs to be waxed for protection. Should I just relax? Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

it should be waxed but my guess is there is some surface contamination, could be oil, etc. I'd do teh whole boat with a cleaner wax like collinites. And while babe's boat bright does have a little wax in it, I'd put a "real" wax on by hand that you cna then "supplement" with babes.

Try a sealant rather than a wax. Sealants last longer, protect better, and often times easier to work with.

I use Menzerna power lock, but it's for cars, so some people don't like using it. Myself - I've had good luck with it.

Hula makes a "marine specific" sealant though, so that's another option.

Hope you find something that works for you!

I get a little streaking from time to time on my black boat with boat candy speed gloss. I have tried different rags and found that it's best to apply with a soft terry cloth and buff with a microfiber cloth. Still get some streaking sometimes.

Thanks guys. I did do a thorough wash before hand with a gel coat soap. Maybe that left a film. Also learned today that boat bright isn't "really" wax... :-) I'll try another wash with a different soap and then put a good coat of "real" wax on and see how that goes.

Try Starbrite PTEF, it's called a polish by them marketing types but is actually a sealer. Put on two coats of that stuff then follow up with some real wax, I've used and read many great things about 3m ultra performance paste wax. I don't think there is anything wrong with wiping down your boat after use but that "wax" is no match for a properly applied sealant and wax.

• Like 1

Try Starbrite PTEF, it's called a polish by them marketing types but is actually a sealer. Put on two coats of that stuff then follow up with some real wax, I've used and read many great things about 3m ultra performance paste wax. I don't think there is anything wrong with wiping down your boat after use but that "wax" is no match for a properly applied sealant and wax.

+1 for Starbrite. I use it twice a year, one coat each time and it repels everything...great stuff.