Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer tire rotation

wakedncsu

If you have one that is wearing wrong fix the problem that causes it then you can figure out what to do with that tire. I had one that I just had the tire guy flip it around on the rim.

Front to back, back to front then I would make an x and do the front to back and back to front again. One rotation would take 5 years. I don't do that anymore though.

I'm no expert but I always thought car tires were rotated to get more miles on them. Most trailer tires just don't get that many miles on them before their time is up due to material breakdown. I get new ones every 5-6 years and I would estimate in that time I put about 6k on them and they have very little tread wear by then. I had one blow on the last trip of the season last year when I tried to squeeze a sixth season on them.

We never rotated tires on our 1996 Malibu...and we bought it new. Simply replaced one when it blew out, which wasn't that often. Funny story....I had a blowout in summer of 2013 and when the tire place looked at the tire they saw the date of manufacture or whatever its called and it was 1995!! Still had an original tire on the trailer 18 years later, whoops! No idea on mileage on the tires but they still "looked" fine tread wise and we have made at least one thousand mile trip every year with the boat, beyond the normal 50 miles trips to the local ramp often.

Edited by That Guy

I rotate in an X pattern, then a cross pattern every other year. Like to get tires rolling in both directions. Does it help? Not sure, but it seems to work for me.

I have 5 exactly the same tires and wheels. So, every spring, rotate the "spare" into a new location. I have it written down where the "spares" have rotated in. 5 years and each tire has been rotated out. Then it will be time to replace them anyway. All 5 are the same tread depth and have the same sun exposure. Wear patterns are good and a year of towing will show if something is wrong. That's how I do it.

Rotating masks them? What problems can be fixed other than balancing or replacing?

A bent axle shaft from a curb strike or large NJ style pothole.

I have never rotated a trailer tire. This is from BoatUS...

Balance And Rotate Tires?

The answers are "yes" and "maybe." Like tires on your car or tow vehicle, trailer tires that are balanced ensure proper tire wear and reduce vibration. Single axle boat-trailer tires usually don't need to be rotated. A tandem axle trailer rotation isn't necessary unless you notice increased wear that's occurring faster than normal. In that case, rotate the tires from front to back, preferably in an "X" configuration.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2012/june/boat-trailer-tires-page-2.asp

I replace tires one at a time as needed. If one wears funny and I can flip it around or swap with another to get more life out of them then I will. As for scheduled rotations most of us don't tow enough to justify this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed excessive wear on my front left tire. I am certain that his is from a curb strike last year. My guess is that I need to replace the axel but have no idea what I will need to compete the job. I plan to take a closer look next week when back from vacation. I have a sport boat trailer so my guess is that most won't be familiar with what I will need. If anyone can shed some light, it'd be appreciated.

I just noticed excessive wear on my front left tire. I am certain that his is from a curb strike last year. My guess is that I need to replace the axel but have no idea what I will need to compete the job. I plan to take a closer look next week when back from vacation. I have a sport boat trailer so my guess is that most won't be familiar with what I will need. If anyone can shed some light, it'd be appreciated.

I wouldn't assume axle right off the bat. The wheel is more likely to bend than the axle.

I tow 6000 - 7000 miles per year, but never rotate the tires. I have changed too many trailer tires on the side of the highway where there isn't much of a shoulder, and people are driving 75 + MPH right next to you. I now change the tires out at 5 years, and they still look new at that time.

Oh, my wheel bent. Looked like a taco.

I prefer my wheels to look like tacos actually, it sets me apart from the rest of the bling crowd and always keeps me hungry

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a tire preference? My trailer came with Carlisle brand tires, after first years tires were cupping and in bad shape after ~2,000 miles, but Eagle trailers replaced the axle and I have had no wear issues since.

• 3 weeks later...

I do rotate my trailer tires, but not for the typical reasons. At 3 years I swap the side of the trailer they are on. Only one side of my trailer gets sun, so trying to spread the UV damage.