Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

replacing the steering cable

Disconected from the rudder just fine. Next step is to unscrew the nut at the end of the cable that screws onto the black pipe thing....only problem is the entire pipe turns when i try to lossen the nut. Anyone been down this path with suggestions? I am guessing a vice grip clamped onto to pipe to keep it from turning. I soaked the threads with wd to see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok....new cable is in. Steering wheel/rudder seem aligned. However, I get 1.5 turns from center one way and 2.5 the other. Is this normal? I cant remember.

Ok....new cable is in. Steering wheel/rudder seem aligned. However, I get 1.5 turns from center one way and 2.5 the other. Is this normal? I cant remember.

Nope, not normal. Seems like you got the wrong rack/cable or some other issue. Did you verify cable length of the old one?

When the rudder is centered, is the arm at 90 degrees to the rudder?

Edited by oldjeep

More like 1.7 turns to the right and 2.1 to the left. The rudder appears to be making max deflection both ways.

Then check the steering arm position. If it is not 90 degrees to the rudder then you have a sheared key and the arm has slipped.

If it is 90 then you might need to adjust the position of the tube so that the center point of the rack is set to the rudder pointing straight.

Edited: More dwtail

Edited by oldjeep

That might be it. I snapped a pic but cant figure out how to post. Should the tube be parallel w the centerline of the boat?

That might be it. I snapped a pic but cant figure out how to post. Should the tube be parallel w the centerline of the boat?

It wasn't on my father inlaws lxi when I replaced his cable a couple weeks ago. The tube works like the barrel adjuster on a bike brake or shift cable.

Turn the wheel lock to lock and divide by 2. Then turn that many turns back from one side and that is where the rack is centered. Then adjust the barrel until the rudder is straight.