Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hesitation after running out of fuel and low engine temp

No my gauge doesn't work. Boat is a 2000 sunsetter vlx with the monsoon. Ran out of fuel this afternoon, about 200 yards from the dock, got towed in, put it on the trailer and put 25 gallons in, put back in and it won't start after key on and off multiple times. Loosen fuel line after the pump and key on multiple times. Tighten back up and it fired right up. Let idle and took off. Had a slight hesitation whenever you would give it more than 1/4 throttle, any speed. About a 300-400rpm drop then pick right back up and run great. I also noticed my temp would not climb over 120. Always runs right at 160. Any ideas? We pulled the first fuel filter and shook it out and seemed to take away the hesitation for for the first throttle up then was right back. Thanks

I do plan on cleaning the fuel pump screen and replacing fuel filters, but can't seem to think of what would cause the temp to not climb over 120

My temp gauge was accurate at 160 then one day it started showing 120-140 & it was a loose ground. Maybe you yanked on a wire while you were down there?

How do you properly clean the fuel pump screen?

I heard remove the line on the bottom of pump and spray pb blaster in there. Or remove the pump and then you can remove the screen

Edited by joshuadale07

I replaced fuel filters and cleaned the screen to the pump, no more whine on key on, motor sounds great idling on the hose, and revs up to 3k with no hesitation. Interested to see what it does under a load. Also, the temp remained right at 130 and would not climb over that. That one I can't figure out

Grab a laser thermometer & point it directly at the temp sensor, try to get the laser in the threads & see what temps you get. 9 times out of 10 the motor temp is fine it is the gauge that is off via wiring or gauge going bad. Take your cannon plug apart, clean the connections & reconnect it. Do note, the cannon plug can plug together multiple ways & be wrong, mark both housings before taking apart so you can line it back up

Edited by racer808

I cleaned and added grease to cannon plug this spring. I checked the sensor and the wire connector looks pretty corroded. Probably add a new connector and replace sending unit. I hit an ir gun somewhere gotta find it and will check temps

Yes replaced both filters, cleaned fuel pump screen, addded sea foam. On the hoss, it won't hesitate, but it didn't in neutral at the lake, so I won't know if it's still doing it until I can get it back on the water and get a load on the motor. Hoping to grab a fuel pressure gauge from my buddy to check on the hose, as well as when I take it back to the lake. Temp gauge still only showing 130 on hose, until I shut it off, then it slowly rises to about 150

so you have replaced fuel filters but aren't sure whether it will hesitate under load because you haven't tested it yet and you are asking for "more info on hesitation"?

Yes, to see if someone had similar problems before and what fixed it. I live 2hrs from the closest lake, so don't wanna throw parts at it hoping it fixes it and get to the lake and be disappointed. I have 2 issues, The hesitation and cold operating temp, looking for information on if they may be correlated, I'm smart enough to know to replace my fuel filter in this situation without having to ask for that answer, just don't know if for some reason operating temp and hesitation would have a common denominator. It doesn't matter the rpm, it would just bog 3-400 rpms, then take off all the way to full throttle no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok bump on this thread. Threw her on the water over the weekend. After new filters and cleaning pump screen, no change was seen. I did notice that the ecm was limiting rpms to 4200. I didn't think this year ecm did that, but it would run up to 4200 then kick back and forth from 4000-4200. I am thinking since my temp is not climbing over 120, ecm may be limiting rpms. Please correct me if my year would not have this. Waiting for the sun to go down and then Hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to get that out of the way. I'm still stumped as to why running out of fuel would cause temps to not climb to operating temp now. I guess a new thermostat is going on order and temp sensor/sending unit

Fuel pressure maintain 40-45psi all throughout rpm range, holds 40 psi for at least 10 min after shut down. Being stupid, before I tested fuel pressure, I sprayed carb cleaned in the anti siphon valve, so there is a chance it has something stuck in it and I cleared it before testing pressure. Last thing I'm going to do is blow compressed air into the fuel line into the tank to possible free up anything in that line. Next, I will work on new plugs, wires, cap, etc to see if y problem is somewhere in there. Still running at 120 degrees.