Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim platform broke off

twitchee2

Last week my buddy jumped off the back with a wakeboard on and when he jumped it ripped all of the screws out. Now my boat came with a non-factory swim step. I believe it is a factory Sanger v210 swim step but I am not 100%. When the PO installed this one, they literally just screwed it in to the fiberglass with some lag bolts. From the pictures it obvious that it is not installed in the mounting location of the platform.

XydD9J7.jpg

When my buddy jumped, it ripped all of these screws out:

WLKxziY.jpg

I had to get this done before my 4 day trip next weekend so here is what I did. I got a large piece of 5052 Aluminum from the local metal yard. 18"x66"x0.25" and some 3/8"x3" flat bar as a spacer to use the actual mounts. I marked all of the holes for the factory malibu brackets so I could drill and tap all of the mounting holes. Drilled big through holes for the new lag bolts into the wood of the swim platform mounts. I also installed a small piece of angle for rigidity. While I was at it, I also added infrastructure for removable surfgates, need to build the gates but I am excited for that! Needless to say, if this falls off again, I have some serious problems.

VEW625N.jpg

88b2ku3.jpg

pzVjre8.jpg

Edited by twitchee2

Thanks guys. This thing is beef! I am really stoked about it. Too bad I am gone for this week or I would have surf gates for my trip this weekend. Next time!

If ever a boat needed a power wedge mod, it's that one. Go-go Gadget Arms to get the wedge down on that sucker! :)

shhhhhh dont tempt me. You actually have to dive under there to get it. Cant even reach it when you are just floating by the back because of the stepped transom.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I used it for a weekend and worked exactly how I hoped. Very solid and no issues.

Last night i started on my surf gate additions. Here is the progress so far. I will see if i can try it out this weekend. It is about 85% done but here it is.

SAF7OFQ.jpg

CJCIyKQ.jpg

This is a prototype and i will build it out of something much more substantial than the cheap old plywood i had laying around.

Edited by twitchee2

Have you ever heard Ron White's skit about the Sears tire change? "The tire fell off, it fell off, it fell the $*@# off!" That's all I can think when I read the title of this thread.

Sorry for the juvenile hijack, I keep chuckling though....