Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soft teak boards?

jfw432

I test drove a 2000 Malibu Response yesterday and pretty committed to buying it. One thing I noticed that was a bit odd was the flexy teak platform. As I was putting on my ski, I was noticing that my 190 lbs with gear was making the center of the platform bow in. I could probably make the platform flex 1/2" - 1" just by bouncing a little (not jumping). I've seen plenty of teak platforms flex from Mastercrafts and Nautiques but typically only at the mounts and not in the middle between the mounts. Is this normal or are these boards just worn out?

Mine is 24 years old. I've installed thicker screws where needed and kept it oiled for the most part. It flexes I would say more than that and I'm lighter than you, but I believe there is less material in mine. I've never noticed our team boat (2002ish?) flexing even with two people on it, but I could be wrong. I'll pay attention next time. Beyond that, I'd say bending isn't breaking and if it seems to be intact and all the screws are tight replacement isn't necessary.

When I got my boat it was missing the center support under the platform and did just what you described. I made a replacement out of teak and bolted it through the hull, good as new now.

• Like 2

When I got my boat it was missing the center support under the platform and did just what you described. I made a replacement out of teak and bolted it through the hull, good as new now.

Wouldn't hurt to check for missing supports! May be the issue or maybe adding a couple would fix you up.