Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Prop

Greg_S

I'm in the middle of changing out the prop to my new 1235 from the group buy. While putting the nut back on, it seems hard (too hard) to get back on. I'm worried about stripping the nut or rethreading the shaft.

Help Help.gif

I don't know why I do things like this right before a trip.

The nut is a nylon locknut. It will be too tight hard to turn by hand. I think the threads are too coarse to get it cross threaded, so you should be fine. Make sure that the prop is well seated on the shaft before tightening the locknut. Don't forget to install the cotter pin. Check to make sure the nut is still tight after a couple of outings.

I'm in the middle of changing out the prop to my new 1235 from the group buy. While putting the nut back on, it seems hard (too hard) to get back on. I'm worried about stripping the nut or rethreading the shaft.

Help Help.gif

I don't know why I do things like this right before a trip.

Probably because you think it will make it even better and only take 20 minutes. Check for clean, burr free threads on the sahft as well as inside the nut. One little burr can be the culprit. If so, use a very small file carefully to clean the thread. Will the nut go on OK if you put it on the other way? What happened when you took it off? Anything of note that you are not telling us about?

Turns out the 12" crescent wrench that comes with the kit is way too small for the job. I used a bigger crescent and it went on like butter.

Thanks for the reply's!

I learned that gloves should be worn as well, ouch!!!

Edited by Greg_S