Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering a NEW 2015 22 VLX

Xstreamws

Makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining that.

I would just have a tough time turning down a raptor base motor with semi closed cooling if the price difference was pretty close.

I demoed an MB last year with the raptor and the thing was a beast and I love the semi closed cooling of my LS3. That is really the only thing I miss with the Ilmor

Sounds like the OP is looking at a boat in inventory. If he wants to use the boat this season, it's inventory or bust.

The Raptor is not an option for him unless he waits till next year.

That said, for all we know the VLX in question has the 409. I know AWS has equipped many of them this way.

If it is the 350 he'll be fine. We're at sea level here in Portland. Vince is running the 350 in his new VLX with awesome results.

Edit: just looked at AWS inventory and they have three VLX's... two with 350 and one has the 409. So the OP has options.

Edited by IXFE

Sounds like the OP is looking at a boat in inventory. If he wants to use the boat this season, it's inventory or bust.

The Raptor is not an option for him unless he waits till next year.

That said, for all we know the VLX in question has the 409. I know AWS has equipped many of them this way.

If it is the 350 he'll be fine. We're at sea level here in Portland. Vince is running the 350 in his new VLX with awesome results.

I hear ya. It is just hard to buy a 2015 knowing you can order RIGHT NOW a 2016 (for me at least)

I'm sure you can relate Mr Flipper. ;)

BTW, my phone took a poop so no text til Wednesday

Edited by DocPhil

I hear ya. It is just hard to buy a 2015 knowing you can order RIGHT NOW a 2016 (for me at least)

I'm sure you can relate Mr Flipper. ;)

BTW, my phone took a poop so no text til Wednesday

At this stage of the season, I'd have a hard time waiting. And it's not like the '16 VLX is gonna change... if he's worried about motor just choose the 409, which I believe is very similar to the Raptor. Probably get a better deal on the '15 too.

• Like 1

Mine is a 2015 with some 16 stuff on it. I just switched to a 2277 acme. I'm liking it so far but have not slammed the boat yet.

My dealer snagged a factory demo vlx and was kind enough to give me a great deal on it.

• Like 1

BU Crew, sorry for the delayed response to your posts. I have been traveling like a mad man. I appreciate all the comments.

I will add pics once I take delivery and the correct trailer is under it. Till then here's link to AWS Boat Trader pics link.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015-MALIBU-Wakesetter-22-VLX-102407705

• Like 2

Yeah here we go with all the BS that the 350 only works at sea level. I have consistently blown that theory out of the water running my 350 at 6800 elevation at Redfish Lake with a full crew, wedge and tanks. The prop is the key here yet everyone wants to play the stupid UPGRADE game

• Like 2

I hear those days might be changing ...

Can you elaborate on this? I wouldn't mind purchasing the wrist band if available for a 2015. I'm still eagerly waiting for the G4 pivoting bimini bracket. I'm also told there will be a new cover that covers the whole boat and tower when the G4 tower is collapsed. If you don't have to remove the racks, I'd be interested in that cover also (though more on the fence on the cover depending upon $$$).

Yeah here we go with all the BS that the 350 only works at sea level. I have consistently blown that theory out of the water running my 350 at 6800 elevation at Redfish Lake with a full crew, wedge and tanks. The prop is the key here yet everyone wants to play the stupid UPGRADE game

Are you talking wakeboarding or surfing? You also seem to forget how surf gate boats run significantly more weight than you do when listed...

Are you talking wakeboarding or surfing? You also seem to forget how surf gate boats run significantly more weight than you do when listed...

My 350 performs great with all that weight Surfing and wakeboarding we only drain a 1/4 of the rear to give us more adjustment with the wedge, Its a great engine , Prop and power wedge II makes all the difference, I could not even run near that much weight in my old 2010

You don't have a surfgate boat, just like we tell you everytime you make the same post. It's a night and day difference between a listed boat and surfgate. I have had both, you need more juice with a surfgate boat. Especially when you factor in elevation.

BU Crew, sorry for the delayed response to your posts. I have been traveling like a mad man. I appreciate all the comments.

I will add pics once I take delivery and the correct trailer is under it. Till then here's link to AWS Boat Trader pics link.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015-MALIBU-Wakesetter-22-VLX-102407705

Congrats on the new VLX... great color scheme. Aren't the guys at AWS great!

Where do you plan on boating? Hope to see that new sled out on the water soon!

My 350 performs great with all that weight Surfing and wakeboarding we only drain a 1/4 of the rear to give us more adjustment with the wedge, Its a great engine , Prop and power wedge II makes all the difference, I could not even run near that much weight in my old 2010

When's the last time your boat was at 6800' elevation?

I was referring to the OP that lives by me, But Yes I would have upgraded if I lived that high in elevation, Or at least demoed a few boats that had both just to see for my self, I got to pull for demo days down here and the boat I was in was a 2015 22 with the 409, Honestly could not really tell the difference compared to mine and we had them set up the same, Both performed awesome!!

You don't have a surfgate boat, just like we tell you everytime you make the same post. It's a night and day difference between a listed boat and surfgate. I have had both, you need more juice with a surfgate boat. Especially when you factor in elevation.

I am running a wicked wake set up so all hard tanks and 750s in rear. One 750 bow. Plus wedge. Still no reduction in power. I am at 3300 elevation minimum and ran at 5000 feet last weekend. We have done 6700 feet.

• Like 1

I am running a wicked wake set up so all hard tanks and 750s in rear. One 750 bow. Plus wedge. Still no reduction in power. I am at 3300 elevation minimum and ran at 5000 feet last weekend. We have done 6700 feet.

Well There's Your Answer!!

Thank you again BU Crew!

We are on the Columbia River 90% of the time we launch out of Camas. We spend 14 days on the upper Snake River above Ice Harbor Dam at Fishhook Park.

I will pick it up on Tuesday after the trailer swap, bimini arrives, windows are tinted etc, we are super happy with Gerry & Matt at AWS OC. Stoked to be part of the crew.

Went by the PDX MC Dealer today to drop off a prop I borrowed and it was a tomb, Stancraft Marine of Coeur d'Alene, ID Has taken Over. MC dealer locator even show it as Stancraft Marine now. http://www.mastercraft.com/dealer/locate?zip=98642&country=

• Like 1

Thank you again BU Crew!

We are on the Columbia River 90% of the time we launch out of Camas. We spend 14 days on the upper Snake River above Ice Harbor Dam at Fishhook Park.

I will pick it up on Tuesday after the trailer swap, bimini arrives, windows are tinted etc, we are super happy with Gerry & Matt at AWS OC. Stoked to be part of the crew.

Went by the PDX MC Dealer today to drop off a prop I borrowed and it was a tomb, Stancraft Marine of Coeur d'Alene, ID Has taken Over. MC dealer locator even show it as Stancraft Marine now. http://www.mastercraft.com/dealer/locate?zip=98642&country=

Say more about the trailer swap...