Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering a NEW 2015 22 VLX

Xstreamws

Looks sweet. Only thing I would consider is a 2016 instead

Malibu is switching to the raptor

If it were me, I would much prefer the raptor unless this boat has the 409 or better

• Like 1

I have 78 hours on my 22 vlx with 409. It's been a great boat, a couple small items so far but otherwise problem free. Wakeboard wake is great and surf wave is respectible. I had 9 adults on it last week and we had plenty of space. New dash is much better than previous maliview. The Power wedge 2 is legit with new lift feature and hydraulic actuator.

About my only gripe is no center rear facing bench seat. I am sure that will eventually come, might even be on a 2016. The two flip up wakeview seats are great but would be even better with a center rear flip seat. I have the G3.2 tower, solid and easy to put up and down with new quick release brackets.

No regrets upgrading from my previous 2013 vlx, the added freeboard and length are a welcome upgrade. Don't think you would regret buying one! they are a very nice boat for the money.

I agree with bama, if you can get a smoking deal on a 2015 I would go for it. The 409 is a nice upgrade frpm 350 especially at elevation, everything I throw at the 409 it handles. The 350 would work, especially at sea level with correct prop. If your running higher elevation lakes consistently I would seriously consider a larger motor than 350. AWS is dialed in, one of the better dealers in the country...they will get you set up properly for the engine you select.

I have lodged in over 80 HR on Mine this year, With out a doubt ....Best boat I have ever owned, We had her loaded up with 11 people, Full MLS and full 825's in rear lockers, Had that surf wake dialed, Both sides!! then drain about a 1/4 of the rear sac's and were wake boarding with a push of a button, I have the 350 and I will say it, Plenty of power!! we planed out in seconds with all that weight, Yes you can go with the bigger engine if you want but our 350 performs nicely and the PW II hands down best feature of this new 22 VLX And AWS top notch, Would not consider anywhere else! If you want real owner feedback feel free to message me!

I agree with bama, if you can get a smoking deal on a 2015 I would go for it. The 409 is a nice upgrade frpm 350 especially at elevation, everything I throw at the 409 it handles. The 350 would work, especially at sea level with correct prop. If your running higher elevation lakes consistently I would seriously consider a larger motor than 350. AWS is dialed in, one of the better dealers in the country...they will get you set up properly for the engine you select.

Wait a minute. Travis, haven't you been advocating the 409 all along?

Anyways, if the difference is less than 5K I can't imagine not getting the newer model of any boat, but to each his own...

Good lord why are people on this site always so damn argumentative?

It's just the lawyers....haha

Happy 4th to you too team!!

Edited by DocPhil

We are considering a 22vlx as well. I love our A22 but the VLX is such a comfortable boat. Our dealer has a really nice one but it's the diamond hull. Any of you guys running the diamond on the new VLX or is everyone going wake hull?

Wait a minute. Travis, haven't you been advocating the 409 all along?

Anyways, if the difference is less than 5K I can't imagine not getting the newer model of any boat, but to each his own...

At sea level I believe the 350 would work with correct prop, assuming the op does not want to run absurd amount of weight in the boat. It's the elevation factor that begins to change the game. Big difference from sea level to 2000'. Obviously the 350 will have its limitations at some point with weight, as well as the 409. So far even at 2000' the 409 has not let me down, even with a full load of peeps fully weighted for surfing. Best way I can describe the 350 compared to the 409 is the 409 is like a prop upgrade between the two.

We are considering a 22vlx as well. I love our A22 but the VLX is such a comfortable boat. Our dealer has a really nice one but it's the diamond hull. Any of you guys running the diamond on the new VLX or is everyone going wake hull?

I would love to see the diamond hull in action with a slalom skier. I towed a slalom skier last week and the wake was meh at best. Not very skiable at 32 mph. I have heard wakeboard and surf wave are about same between the two hulls.

At sea level I believe the 350 would work with correct prop, assuming the op does not want to run absurd amount of weight in the boat. It's the elevation factor that begins to change the game. Big difference from sea level to 2000'. Obviously the 350 will have its limitations at some point with weight, as well as the 409. So far even at 2000' the 409 has not let me down, even with a full load of peeps fully weighted for surfing. Best way I can describe the 350 compared to the 409 is the 409 is like a prop upgrade between the two.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining that.

I would just have a tough time turning down a raptor base motor with semi closed cooling if the price difference was pretty close.

I demoed an MB last year with the raptor and the thing was a beast and I love the semi closed cooling of my LS3. That is really the only thing I miss with the Ilmor

Edited by DocPhil

I agree doc, that raptor seems like a great engine. I guess it all depends on how and where he plans on using the boat. Regardless the boat is legit, malibu did a fantastic job on it...he won't be disappointed.

I agree doc, that raptor seems like a great engine. I guess it all depends on how and where he plans on using the boat. Regardless the boat is legit, malibu did a fantastic job on it...he won't be disappointed.

yup....

i have to admit. that wristband seems cool. can you add that to your 2015?

We all know you can't "add" anything to an older model other changing the decals...it's the Malibu way!

Not even a wristband?!?!

Let me guess....the "software isn't compatible" HAHA