Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reconfigure Stereo - Seeking guru opinion

jtrezon

I am replacing (4) in-boats with new Exile 6.5's, and I plan to add a 4ch amp as these are currently powered by the HU. I would also like to use the fader control on the HU to fade between the tower and in-boats so I came up with a block diagram that I think with work I haven't done much audio install work, so I'm seeking a more learned opinion on whether or not there is a better solution given the components I have to work with. Appreciate any comments.

post-3471-0-98431900-1435935114_thumb.jp

Edited by jtrezon

scratch the electronic crossover and get an EQ instead (which has the crossover built in). That will work a lot better than the fader for tuning the volume between zones, and it will also have the sub control too. From a value proposition, the clarion EQS746 cannot be beat: http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8

Impedence doens't look right to me. I'm assuming you are wiring those in parallel with the way the diagram is, which would mean you'd be running 2 Ohm impedence, rather than 4.

scratch the electronic crossover and get an EQ instead (which has the crossover built in). That will work a lot better than the fader for tuning the volume between zones, and it will also have the sub control too. From a value proposition, the clarion EQS746 cannot be beat: http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746-Graphic-Equalizer-Crossover/dp/B000EZV3T8

I Agree... changing to an EQ would be better...I might think about that, but Id have to start over and re-route all the RCA's. I should have said the crossover is already installed near the amps under the passenger comp....currently connected to the tower speakers. I have room for one more amp so I was going for the quickest install. The only wiring I need to add is in RED (See edited image)

Impedence doens't look right to me. I'm assuming you are wiring those in parallel with the way the diagram is, which would mean you'd be running 2 Ohm impedence, rather than 4.

Each speaker has its own 4ohm channel....using 4ch amps. Did I mess that up?

Thanks again

Edited by jtrezon

I don't understand why an electronic crossover is being used since just about every available amplifier in the past 25 years already contain a crossover.

But if you are using some REALLY old amplifiers without crossovers, the EQ mentioned only has a non-defeatable lowpass for the sub channels and no highpass for the tower and in-boat zones. And you would miss the highpass.

I don't understand why an electronic crossover is being used since just about every available amplifier in the past 25 years already contain a crossover.

But if you are using some REALLY old amplifiers without crossovers, the EQ mentioned only has a non-defeatable lowpass for the sub channels and no highpass for the tower and in-boat zones. And you would miss the highpass.

Let's just call it an RCA splitter in a box... which is basically what it was originally put there for. I do, however, like the remote sub control....which I wouldn't have otherwise.

Each speaker has its own 4ohm channel....using 4ch amps. Did I mess that up?

Thanks again

Your diagram only shows 2 inputs per amp for 4 speakers. But yeah, if you have 4X amps rated at 4 Ohms, then you should be good.

Why not a 6 chnl amp for the 3 pair of in-boats and a 2 chnl for the 2 pair pair of tower speakers? The 6 chnl would only require a single pair of RCA's, which could be split to the powered sub. The 2 chnl would only require a single pair of RCA's.

Wet Sounds HT-6 and HT-2.