Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tips for Surfing with Kids

DAI

essentially i put them in my lap with their feet on the board inside of where my feet are and hold the rope with 1 arm and stabilize them with the other.

• Like 3

^^^What he said.

I keep both hands on the rope and squeeze them with my legs and arms. I also have them reach their arms back around my thighs and hold on to me that way.

Then it's just brute strength to hang on and pull yourself up.

Please make sure your surf rope is shortened up so you aren't looping a lot of rope to pull yourself in and keep it in your lead hand, it's sketchy otherwise with your kids head at the same level as the rope coiled in your hand.

• Like 3

I popped up first time with my kid between my legs. We can free surf no problem. I use my Volt becuase its big amd strong and dont care if it's damaged.

Float them in the water in front of u with there feet on the board. Then place ur feet up. As the boat pulls u up the are forced to stand up amd the board is under them.

Edited by WaBackcountry
  • Like 3

My 4 year old daughter was putting her left leg in the wave and was standing on the board with her right while holding my legs. She is crazy. It was funny though, the wave caught her leg and pulled her into the wake. She popped back up and was ready to go again.

I think learning to wakeboard will be easier, not having their feet in a secured location leaves a lot or room for foot placement error and off balance falls. Getting her used to the pull and the body positioning will make learning to surf that much easier

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 1

I think learning to wakeboard will be easier, not having their feet in a secured location leaves a lot or room for foot placement error and off balance falls. Getting her used to the pull and the body positioning will make learning to surf that much easier

+1.

The one thing I would warn you about is. If they get into the water and decide not to go put them back in the boat. Don't push them to try it. Just let it be and be ready when they are truly ready.

• Like 3

It will depend on the age/size. My daughter was around 1 when she wanted to get in the water. I just wrapped my arms around since she was pretty small.

IMG_2171_zpsx4vyqqre.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsx725qezc.jpg

My is usually the one encouraging it. My daughter loves the water and had been tubing with mom before this. But I let the little decide if she wants to try these things before we do it. We just for a platform trainer ski for her 2nd birthday but it's going to be in the yard and beachfront for awhile to let her get comfortable.

I've gotten my 18 year old niece up with me. Granted she only weights 115lbs. I just had her face me and straddle her legs around my waist. I swallowed a bit of water before take off but we got up.

This is honestly the best way to introduce kids to watersports in my opinion. My cousins kid(now 9) is deathly afraid of water because when he fell waterskiing he didn't think the boat was coming back. With his daughter, he taught her to surf with him first behind a boat and boogie board small waves in the ocean. Now she's a fish at 5 years old, and the older brother is scared stiff of everything involving water sports.

How old is it appropriate to let her try and wakeboard? I have yet to tow little kids wakeboarding, what's a good speed and should I shorten my rope less than 60'?

I've gotten my 18 year old niece up with me. Granted she only weights 115lbs. I just had her face me and straddle her legs around my waist. I swallowed a bit of water before take off but we got up.

You must be a beast, that's how I do it with my 50lb boys and I don't how much longer I'll be able to....plus I have that herniated disc issue :whistle: