Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Fumes - 2014 LS3

Smelling fumes around the cockpit when I run the boat using the blower does not seem to help. This has been happening for a few weeks now. Multiple tank fills so I doubt it's bad gas.

Never happened last year. Boat has been serviced on the recommended schedule. Approx 140 hours.

Any ideas?

Smelling fumes around the cockpit when I run the boat using the blower does not seem to help. This has been happening for a few weeks now. Multiple tank fills so I doubt it's bad gas.

Never happened last year. Boat has been serviced on the recommended schedule. Approx 140 hours.

Any ideas?

Pull the floor panel so that you can see the sender and fill lines. Make sure you haven't got any leaks there or fuel puddled around the sender. Also check your vent lines to make sure they are still attached at both ends.

• Like 3

gas fumes from the bilge or engine area? open the engine and stick your head down in there... or remove the plastic floor disk and stick your nose down in the bilge? That would be a mechanical leak from a fitting or a hose. find your way to the top of the gas tank and all of the 3-4 90 deg fittings bolted on top running in and out of the tank... run your finger around each of the thru tank fittings and smell your finger for gas.

or gas fumes from the exhaust while the engine is running? theory here: running rich = possibly partially clogged injectors that drip ever so slightly when the fuel pump is on yet engine isn't running.... so when you crank it up and sometimes while underway you get a rich blast of strong gas smell from the exhaust. possibly easy fix? Run a heavy dose of fuel injector cleaner when you get down to a 1/4 tank of fuel. Periodically run injector cleaner through your gas to maintain. Run Ethanol Stabil at most times. More indepth fix? over winter layup have your dealer perform a fuel system pressure test... it should be able to hold a designated XXPSI pressure for ~30 mins. If it doesn't hold pressure you likely have partially clogged injectors slightly dripping fuel. Have the injectors removed and sent for cleaning and recertification. if this is the case and it persists... you can foul your spark plugs and O2 sensors from these partially clogged leaking injectors.

Thanks. Talked to Malibu and they mentioned the p-trap....sounds like I'm gonna have to take it in...I. Gonna run that fule injector cleaner first...I keep the boat on my lift...not a good trailer guy :)

• 4 weeks later...

FYI as closure...turns out the previous dealer did not install the fuel filter properly at the 120 hour service ....my boat had a pencil sized fuel leak and the bilge was getting significant amounts of fuel..

All is well again

Where was it leaking from?

Somewhere between the fuel filter and the fuel line.....sorry I cant explain more...im a techie and I own a hammer and a phone...if the hammer wont fix it the phone will

Always gratifying when you take it to the professionals and it comes back broke. I recognize humans make mistakes but when a fuel filter is changed it only makes sense to run it and check for leaks - so it don't go "BOOM" later with family and friends on board.

Can someone give me a quick run down of where I would find the fuel filter on a 350? Also what part I would change it with?

I looked at Bakes and from what I read, gen 3 systems don't require changing...

Can someone give me a quick run down of where I would find the fuel filter on a 350? Also what part I would change it with?

I looked at Bakes and from what I read, gen 3 systems don't require changing...

Only filter I'm aware of in my 2012 is in the tank and there isn't a service interval that I'm aware of. Same thing as in my truck (118K miles on whatever filter is in the tank on the pump)

Cipro- humor me and run your fingers around all the fittings and connections on top of the gas tank... Where they go through the tank...

Then smell your fingers....