Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

starts great cold or hot, not in between

my 02 sunsetter lxi starts great when totally cold, or by just flicking the key when fully hot, say between skiers. if it sits between 20 minutes and 3 hours it starts up then dies, using cold start (throttle only) or not. we can usually get it to start, but i know it doesn't like it. no smoke or nothing. it only has 40 hours on it, always garaged, maintained, and is mint.

just weekend noticed the oil pressure seemed kinda high, think it was close to 80 at full throttle and down to 60 at idle.

i copied the below list of suggestions from a similiar post:

Calibration re-set

IAC replaced

Water temp sensor replaced

t-stat replaced

believe a dealer said there was a computer s/w upgrade for this starting issue, have you guys ever heard of this fix?

any thoughts 'bu brothers?

rick

Not that this is probably your problem, but have you checked the oil level? Mine runs, IIRC, between 20 and 60 from idle to WOT.

Where are you located? Is vapor lock a possibility?

Oh, and Ricky, welcome to the site. Lots of info here coming from lots of good folks. Though, at first, we may have more questions than answers.

Oh, and Ricky, welcome to the site. Lots of info here coming from lots of good folks. Though, at first, we may have more questions than answers.

Geez Jack, you going soft? Kinda lovey-dovey there eh? Love.gif

Where are you located? Is vapor lock a possibility?

Stupid.gif

Thanks, you guys are awesome. I think joining this was a good idea.

It has the Indmar 5.7 L......325 HP, i believe.

The boat is garaged on a trailer in an uninsulated garage in lower Michigan.

Seems not to be electrical, but vapor lock is a possibility. While it was acting up last weekend, my bro turned it over while I unscrewed the gas cap. didn't help or hurt.

Didn't check oil level as we immediately pulled it out after skiing to change oil after this acted up last weekend.

Thanks,

Ricky

Add a pressure gauge to your fuel line and see whats up...low pressure = no fuel & could be vapor lock. Spend $45 and get yourself a CodeMate from Rinda Technologies. Your MEFI may be trying to tell you something....Then Jump over to Amazon and order the Indmar Shop Manual so you can interpret the codes.

MoonDawg:

Thanks for those tips, and for providing the links. I think I'll have to order up on those items, and you're right, you gotta listen to what your engine is telling you.

actionadd:

I think there are 2, one by the engine (easy to get at) and one on top of the fuel tank (not so easy to get to. They were both changed 2 years ago. Might they need to be changed every year?

Might they need to be changed every year?
Depends on how bad the gas is that goes in the tank. I change mine every year because the breather vent on my Sporty is so close to the water I'm always afraid of water in my fuel. The filter by the engine runs a fuel filter / water separator element. Thumbup.gif

Welcome.gif To The Crew. :)

When Jack (VinRLX) starts acting like a jerk (which will eventually happen) just do what the rest of us do...ignore him. :lol:

complete guess but 4 years old & only done 40hr total ? perhaps lack of use could be an issue ? dry seals somewhere or something stuck ?

Where bouts?

in paw paw, mi. which is near kalamazoo. where is fenton?

complete guess but 4 years old & only done 40hr total ? perhaps lack of use could be an issue ? dry seals somewhere or something stuck ?

thanks for the thought, mr uk. glad to see 'bu's get passports. heading back to play in the water this weekend, seems this issue is clearly fuel related. my plan is to change the fuel filter (was told to do that every year by several dealers) also i plan to run the tank near dry and give her a drink of fresh 93.

Where bouts?

in paw paw, mi. which is near kalamazoo. where is fenton?

15 minutes South of Flint, along US23. Feel free to give a hollar if you're ever coming this way!