Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IS this a good deal, what to look out for?

cjtpilot

Close on price because it's an LXi. Might get them down a bit but that is one of the best crossover boats ever made and people still seek them out for that reason. Slaloms very well for a bigger boat and can make a decent wakeboard wake. If all you do is wakeboard the LX might be found for a bit less, but not sure how many are around right now.

Like mentioned, condition and is everything but I think the price is a good starting point.

Just be sure to add up accessories you may want--speed control (no mention), cover (no mention), tower, etc. and use it in your negotiations. Also ask why it has a newer motor. And how they cover on the trailer with those front posts touching the rub rail.

• Like 2

Looks like a nice boat, but for that price I would expect it to have a tower and a bimini at least. I guess up north a bimini isn't absolutely needed, but down south they are. I think 17.5K is a fair offer if the boat is very clean. Don't forget you are buying a trailer too. Do the brakes work, rust, bunks, wiring, tires, bearings...

Oh, look for the infimous HDS leak. I just finished repairing mine. Do google search (this site doesn't support three letter searches :() Basically look for spider cracks around the prop strut or other evidence of a hit.

Either the steering cable has been replaced or it needs to be.

I love my LXi though, great boat if you primarily ski and wakeboard. Handles great and pops out of the hole quickly. Lots of storage.

Edited by Asmodeus2112

New engine after 250 hours...I'd look into that.

Boats that old are usually in great shape or trashed. That one looks like it has been well cared for...from the pictures, at least.

Edited by RTS

Price seems high to me.

Also from the ad -

Always garaged, 240 hours on engine/490 on boat

Did they give a reason on why there is a difference there and/or what happened to cause the engine to be replaced?

Not sure what you're looking for in a boat, but this is parked just down the street from me, looks quite clean but isn't open bow:

http://wausau.craigslist.org/boa/5064281414.html

Edited by sidekicknicholas

Price seems high to me.

Also from the ad -

Did they give a reason on why there is a difference there and/or what happened to cause the engine to be replaced?

Not that unusual up here. 99% chance it was incorrectly winterized and cracked the block.

• Like 2

Price seems high to me.

Also from the ad -

Not sure what you're looking for in a boat, but this is parked just down the street from me, looks quite clean but isn't open bow:

Thanks for the other option, but we need an open bow! Have a closed bow now and need the extra room. I have asked all the questions so far waiting on a response back.

Not that unusual up here. 99% chance it was incorrectly winterized and cracked the block.

I'm from Wisconsin so I know the pain .... but you never know what did/didn't get replaced after. My old boat (my brother's now) had the engine replaced, but the seller when I bought it had paperwork showing that everything was replaced. Old parts could be salvaged from the engine that cracked (if thats the case), so I would ask for paperwork.

Another option too if you're open to a V-drive is my old boat, my brother owns it now - 95' Nautique Supersport. Needs a new tower (just cosmetically looking rough, custom FCT made to fit (see photos) - functionally it works though) ... He isn't actively selling but told me that it will go up soon, I think he was going to ask $15k .... central Wisconsin location

http://imgur.com/a/xbFv0

Edited by sidekicknicholas

That Sunsetter looks like its in great condition from the pictures. For my area I think the price would be high, but I dont know your market.

New engine after 250 hours...I'd look into that.

Boats that old are usually in great shape or trashed. That one looks like it has been well cared for...from the pictures, at least.

Just what RTS said regarding the new engine after 250 hrs.

Price seems high to me.

Also from the ad -

That boat has a Corvette engine and my name's Ron Jeremy. That's a 310 Vortec carby, or the base engine from that year.

Regards,

The Hedgehog

• Like 1