Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anchor Buddy Bow Anchor Line

baadls1

I have done some homework (searching) on this and have most of my questions answered.

I am trying to build a varying length anchor line to accommodate various depths up to 30ft. We usually do most of our boating on a smaller lake, river or Lake Havasu, where most depths do not exceed 15-20ft or so feet and winds don't exceed 20mph. I have a small box anchor and slide anchor to hold on to both ends of the boat, as well as an anchor buddy to link from transom to the slide anchor.

My issue is with the bow anchor line. I realize that having an anchor buddy line on the bow takes the slack out of the line and prevents the anchor from pulling up. However, what do you guys do for depths greater than the unstretched length of the anchor buddy? If no other provisions, wouldn't that put constant tension on the line and eventually destroy the elasticity?

I'm pondering the idea of box anchor -> anchor buddy -> 25-30ft anchor line -> dank hook + buoy float. The dock line + danik hook would allow me to adjust the bow line out to any custom length to allow for varied depths beyond the 14ft anchor buddy line. Is there any reason why I should not create a system like this? Do any of you worry about stretching the anchor buddy line for hour(s) at a time? If not, how far do you stretch it?

I use box anchor, anchor buddy with float (and anchor line in parallel in needed) then danik hook with shore spike off transom to shore. I added a bow cleat this winter which allows quick adjustment of the anchor buddy if needed.

I use box anchor, anchor buddy with float (and anchor line in parallel in needed) then danik hook with shore spike off transom to shore. I added a bow cleat this winter which allows quick adjustment of the anchor buddy if needed.

How are you able to adjust the anchor buddy with a fixed bow cleat?

My father always had a normal anchor chain and line with loops created in the line to adjust the length, but I want to maintain the benefits of the anchor buddy and box anchor with the flexibility of length.

Does everyone use a 2nd line/normal rope in line w/ the Anchor Buddy? I haven't so far but sometimes when the anchor is really stuck I worry about it breaking. Just seems cumbersome to have ANOTHER anchor line.

How are you able to adjust the anchor buddy with a fixed bow cleat?

My father always had a normal anchor chain and line with loops created in the line to adjust the length, but I want to maintain the benefits of the anchor buddy and box anchor with the flexibility of length.

Same as you would with a fender or dock line...cleat hitch.

cleat_hitch_halyard.jpg

Does everyone use a 2nd line/normal rope in line w/ the Anchor Buddy? I haven't so far but sometimes when the anchor is really stuck I worry about it breaking. Just seems cumbersome to have ANOTHER anchor line.

I do. I have a couple ropes with different lengths with loops on the ends (i use the 20' line most often). I use 4000# locking carabiners to attach to the anchor buddy's to the extension ropes and to my bow hook. My loops aren't going anywhere. The anchor buddy would break before my knots or carabiners.