Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pull Up Programming

DAI

When pulling up surfers, the boat will power up from 0 to 6-ish mph fine, but then it feels like it reduces power for the next 1-3 mph, and then goes back to normal around 8-9 mph. I remember reading some where that there is programming for pull up RPMs (strength?). If that exists, where is that programming set - can't find any details in the manual? Or is this something that happens when the gate deploys?

Edit - I have the LS3 so it should not be a lack of power, i would not think.

Edited by DAI

You have the MP LS3, so do I it does the exact same thing in my boat. The thing you are looking for is "perfect pull" it is an app for your phone. I never did play with it but that should help. Let me know if it makes a difference.

You have the MP LS3, so do I it does the exact same thing in my boat. The thing you are looking for is "perfect pull" it is an app for your phone. I never did play with it but that should help. Let me know if it makes a difference.

Thanks. I've used the app, but the only thing in there is the set speed. On a separate note, i don't find the presets that helpfull and for some reason when I go to choose one it just selects 'adv wakeboarding' regardless which program is actually highlighted (problem for another day and a low priority).

So your boat does the same thing, must be something with the programming in the cruise. When the weather is better tomorrow I'm going to try loading it up and get it to surf speed without the cruise on to see if it does the same thing.

Thanks. I've used the app, but the only thing in there is the set speed. On a separate note, i don't find the presets that helpfull and for some reason when I go to choose one it just selects 'adv wakeboarding' regardless which program is actually highlighted (problem for another day and a low priority).

So your boat does the same thing, must be something with the programming in the cruise. When the weather is better tomorrow I'm going to try loading it up and get it to surf speed without the cruise on to see if it does the same thing.

It won't... if you use rpm pull it will act "normal," but won't ever actually lock in on a particular rpm (as far as I can tell).

the perfect pull app is just a way to make and load presets. It actually works pretty well (much easier to set custom names etc).

It won't... if you use rpm pull it will act "normal," but won't ever actually lock in on a particular rpm (as far as I can tell).

the perfect pull app is just a way to make and load presets. It actually works pretty well (much easier to set custom names etc).

Does your boat act as I described? Curious because you have the same model and engine.

yes, does the same thing. Pretty annoying.

I e-mailed marine power to ask about it. They said when using cruise it should be hammer down (full throttle) always. Which I do and which doesn't change the behavior. They said that they'd pay to have a tech out on my boat for a day to pull the datalogs to see what the engine is doing, but finding a tech right now with a diacom who will waste a half a day doing that is pretty much impossible. If it were easier for you to do that (i.e. better access to a service department) it would totally be worth contacting marine power. They are very responsive via e-mail, but I think the problem is that there are so few of these motors out in the wild that they (MP) aren't getting much feedback.

I will defintiely do that when I get back from vacation after the fourth and report back here. Besides, I have to log some more hours to get a good data set - my ecu's were replaced over the winter and all the history is probably gone.

they wanted a "live" recording of what the ecu is doing when the behavior occurs. I don't think more or less time on the ecu is necessary.

Even better then . . .

THIS is the issue I have been fighting with Malibu about for 2 years. Boat tests with laptops, and the whole nine yards! The boat will rip to surf speed if you turn the cruise off. Rpm mode , won't work! Malibu says its normal, I say BS. Neither Malibu or marine power will step ip to fix this programming problem.

Don't waste your time hauling the boat into the dealer because have had them record mine twice, then they tell me I am the only one with this problem, they say it is normal. To bad we paid to upgrade to the ls3, but the power is limited in cruise mode.

Don't waste your time hauling the boat into the dealer because have had them record mine twice, then they tell me I am the only one with this problem, they say it is normal. To bad we paid to upgrade to the ls3, but the power is limited in cruise mode.

Thanks . . .I'll still have the dealer take a look at it so it's documented.

What if you guys manually accelerated to the desired speed and then turn cruise on? I know it is a band-aid but, maybe it could be temp solution?

doesn't work. cruise won't turn on then.

Mine actually sputters a bit while getting to surf speed. It hits hard out of the gate, then when it powers down around 8-9mph, it sputters until it decides it isn't going fast enough. Not every time though. Kind of weird.

Mine actually sputters a bit while getting to surf speed. It hits hard out of the gate, then when it powers down around 8-9mph, it sputters until it decides it isn't going fast enough. Not every time though. Kind of weird.

Mine is pretty consistent.

I think the GPS cruise can be added for around $300. I would spend the money if I knew it would fix the problem.

how bout you spend the money anyway and let the rest of us know if it fixes the problem?

:)

I think Marine Power should pay for it if it fixes the problem.

ha, it'd probably be a wash for the tech time that they've already volunteered to pay for...

My dealer tried it on another boat, and it did not cure the problem. It is a marine power programming issue. Funny, I talked to a tech from Malibu, and he said mine is th only one that he has heard of that does this. Supposedly if you're using the factory recommended 550's and it goes to cruise ok, their satisfied. I think that marine power is super conservative in their settings on power ,as not to incur any warranty issues.

Edited by surfdude