Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Models what is the scoop

Coach

I guess I understand it differently then most. I haven't skied behind any V-drives except a WS and I don't have any desire to try any other VD boats through a course. The people thinking that they are going to do some shortline behind a V-drive can probably be sold anything if they can be convinced that a "certification" from AWSA means they got a good wake. Most skiers complain about skiing behind a SN206 as opposed to the 196 "because the wake is too big/hard" pick your excuse. So to entertain ideas about a good skiing wake from a VD just because AWSA say's it good is ludicrous.

Now, I'm not saying that the crossover boats that are VD don't have any place. Just that a AWSA cert won't fool people who know.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnDoe

• UWSkier

• skisix@38

• mrothwell

There's a big big difference between a WS and a Sunscape/Sunsetter with the diamond hull. I bet you'd be surprised you were behind a V drive if you tried an old SV23D-equipped model... Certainly not what you're used to, but probably quite a bit better than you'd expect.

I guess I understand it differently then most. I haven't skied behind any V-drives except a WS and I don't have any desire to try any other VD boats through a course. The people thinking that they are going to do some shortline behind a V-drive can probably be sold anything if they can be convinced that a "certification" from AWSA means they got a good wake. Most skiers complain about skiing behind a SN206 as opposed to the 196 "because the wake is too big/hard" pick your excuse. So to entertain ideas about a good skiing wake from a VD just because AWSA say's it good is ludicrous.

Now, I'm not saying that the crossover boats that are VD don't have any place. Just that a AWSA cert won't fool people who know.

I already know that diamond hulled VDs ski exceptionally well...certainly better than any boat MADE in the 80s, and still better than several certified boats today. I don't need a certification to know that, I need a certification to get on some "special" sites. Heck, the sunscape got up to open speed JUST as fast as a 197, and blows the doors off a 209.

The problem is that some lakes have restrictions that only allow AWSA certified boats. So the point is not whether the certification "fools people who know", it's whether I can buy a boat, enjoy the fact that its a Vdrive, not care if people think it has a crappy ski wake because its a VD (because I know better), and STILL be able to use sites that require certification.

Most skiers complain about skiing behind a SN206 as opposed to the 196 "because the wake is too big/hard" pick your excuse.

I don't know anyone who complains. Shocking.gif

Here's what I've heard:

20VTX Will not be the same as the New RLXi. But will look like one.

Expect some sort of vented postless, topless windshield on both new boats

Both Boats will have the 247 Look in the front and gelcoat layout, so the hull base color will go all the way up to the rubrail.(Yuck IMHO) supposedly makes bow more spacious

New Wedge, the foil is welded, no more broken bolts, and it does not need to be locked down, just release it from the up position and gop ride (interesting)

Special Edition RLXi and WVLX. The RLXI will be the only boat available with the Corvette 500hp. I think it's all blingy, and comes with a souvenier

3 Optional Graphics Packages for the Wakesetters

Thats all i could weasel

Edited by motoring
Here's what I've heard:

Both Boats will have the 247 Look in the front and gelcoat layout, so the hull base color will go all the way up to the rubrail.(Yuck IMHO) supposedly makes bow more spacious

New Wedge, the foil is welded, no more broken bolts, and it does not need to be locked down, just release it from the up position and gop ride (interesting)

Special Edition RLXi and WVLX. The RLXI will be the only boat available with the Corvette 500hp. I think it's all blingy, and comes with a souvenier

Thats all i could weasel

Malibu Aus have a couple of models coming that they know about - a 20V which sounds like the 20VTX you mention. The other is the rebirth of the Sportie, defeatured to save cost as an entry level model.

I'm sitting on the edge waiting for the Blingster LXi 500..

Here's what I've heard:

Thats all i could weasel

I've seen the graphics for the new wakesetters, 2 of the 3 look good

hmmm...think I could import Sporty's from AUS? Likely cost WAY more than a Response by the time it lands. :(

Here's what I've heard:

Thats all i could weasel

I've seen the graphics for the new wakesetters, 2 of the 3 look good

I agree, and wish 2005 graphics were an option.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

Here's what I've heard:

Thats all i could weasel

Malibu Aus have a couple of models coming that they know about - a 20V which sounds like the 20VTX you mention. The other is the rebirth of the Sportie, defeatured to save cost as an entry level model.

I'm sitting on the edge waiting for the Blingster LXi 500..

The rebirth of the Sportster.. have I died and gone to heaven? Innocent.gif

Edited by 1FootDan

Spory is an Aussie only thing, apparently they have a bit of extra capacity as they just finished increasing the capacity of the plant. There is a fair bit of demand for a cheap, yet high quality ski boat that can also throw up an apparently decent wake at times (never riden behind one, so i have no idea). I also think they are selling it with the 310 carb to keep the cost down....39990 AUD or something similar to that ready to go on a trailer in its base form....bit more info on wake.com.au

I think having a boat like the sporty (former Tantrum owner) in the lineup is a wise thing. I believe there is still a market for a quality stripped down ski boat. I had quite a few callers (after I sold my boat) that were interested and everyone of them desired a decent boat that wasn't priced like a 2nd house payment.

IMO - If the economy takes a dip you still have a product that appeals to the frugal.

Some of us are just plain frugal at all times. :)

Edited by Jesse

I'll have to take your word on it. I did ski behind the SSLXI earlier this spring and the NORCAL clinic and that was nice.

I already know that diamond hulled VDs ski exceptionally well...certainly better than any boat MADE in the 80s, and still better than several certified boats today. I don't need a certification to know that, I need a certification to get on some "special" sites. Heck, the sunscape got up to open speed JUST as fast as a 197, and blows the doors off a 209.

The problem is that some lakes have restrictions that only allow AWSA certified boats. So the point is not whether the certification "fools people who know", it's whether I can buy a boat, enjoy the fact that its a Vdrive, not care if people think it has a crappy ski wake because its a VD (because I know better), and STILL be able to use sites that require certification.

roth, you ever been behind a sunsetter VLX with the diamond? No joking here, if you're going at least 32, its skis VERY VERY well. I have no doubt that this new iteration of the good skiing VD concept will be even better executed.

I've never been behind the SSVlx with the Diamond. I skied my buddies '06 V-Ride the other day, and I think it is a diamond hull. That wake was a little bigger than my SSLxi, but MUCH harder. It was TOO much difference to get me into a V at this point in my life. I am definately interested in the smaller V that the rumours are flying about.

roth, you ever been behind a sunsetter VLX with the diamond? No joking here, if you're going at least 32, its skis VERY VERY well. I have no doubt that this new iteration of the good skiing VD concept will be even better executed.

I've never been behind the SSVlx with the Diamond. I skied my buddies '06 V-Ride the other day, and I think it is a diamond hull. That wake was a little bigger than my SSLxi, but MUCH harder. It was TOO much difference to get me into a V at this point in my life. I am definately interested in the smaller V that the rumours are flying about.

Nope, Vrides are "wake" hulls and are significantly harder than the diamond. Think of the difference between your "classic" lxi and a sunsetter LX or I ride...big difference right? Same goes on the VDs. We even run the sunscape in the course. It truly does great. It tracks better than my rlxi cuz of the gorillas!

Hey

I live one 90 minutes from the Plant in Merced.

I ordered a new malibu 3-11-2006.

I still don't have it!!!!!

Now the 2007 are out. Whats up with this.

Is there someone high up in Malibu that would like to give me a call.

I am willing to drive down there and lay all the paperwork on his desk and say wheres my V-ride.

I've heard excuses that they ran out of Moonbeam material, One of the molds were down, and they ran out of hinges for the rear compartments.

Give me a break, July 4th is coming up!!!!!

I'm BOATLESS!!!!!!!!

I drove Maliboo's '06 promo this weekend and that was a true pleasure! His boat this year is the best boat that he's had in a few years, and it's easy to look at too. It's very quiet inside and tracks like a dream and effortless to move when I needed it to move. I drove it for almost 2 hours at the tournament and I a couple PB's and most folks close to their PB's, which is great for the early tournaments.

Nice boat Dwanye!

skisix - Thanks. I think you should buy it. I like this boat alot, I have often wondered if I should just keep it.

Nice boat Dwanye!

I'm white and straight, its Dwayne

Edited by maliboo
skisix - Thanks. I think you should buy it.

I told Skisix the same thing this AM. He should buy it. That way I get to drive it once in a while.

I'm white and straight, its Dwayne

My bad! No offense intended. We'll have to talk off line about the purchase of said boat. Let me introduce my boat broker, SGY.

It's DBW isn't as mushy as the MC's. But it still is wierd to rush up to the baseline RPM and have the rpms drop so suddenly after that. It makes short set up lakes tougher I think because "in the old days" I could keep the throttle in longer and accererate the boat a liittle more before I pulled back the throttle and let the boat settle in.

No offense taken. I don't want you to get SGY involved after hearing the deal he made on his new Nautique.

He may talk me into something that I would regret.

SGY - congrats on the new boat. I get to ski behind new 196's in London some. Its an awesome ride.

When are you and Walt going to open Rocky Mountain Nautiques?

Dwanye

skisix - Thanks. I think you should buy it.

I told Skisix the same thing this AM. He should buy it. That way I get to drive it once in a while.

I believe he's definitely interested in the boat...might as well have him send you a deposit now to hold it for Aug / Sept delivery.