Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering cable change lxi

On 11/3/2022 at 6:35 PM, uk_exile said:

Local Malibu dealer has just sold me a Seastar Solutions SSCX15415 so a 15 foot cable. Will it be long enough for the my 2003 Response LXi? I'm starting to think no......

I used TELSSC15419 in my lxi a few years ago.   a lot of zip ties to cut under the kick plate area.

I noticed a 3 or 4 cable ties under dash. To cable loom, to heater hoses, etc. I suspect it's more to hold them to the rigid steering cable than the other way around. 

Local Malibu dealer had a 19’ cable in stock so I didn’t need to wait for them to get one from Australia or USA.

Happy with no delay however frustratingly the price was almost 40% more! Odd since in US the 15’ and 19’ cables are virtually identical price.  Oh well, nothing I can do about it. It's not like I can buy one online from US as shipping has become stupidly expensive. Recently got a FedEx quote for a slalom ski…. USD500!!!!!  

• Sad 2
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone got info on a v-drive cable change and issues getting the long shaft piece of the cable through the floor? The have a 2003 21 LSV Sunscape and there was a not enough room from the hole to the rear of the front seat in the bow to manoeuvre the cable out.

4 hours ago, ZorbaMalibu said:

Has anyone got info on a v-drive cable change and issues getting the long shaft piece of the cable through the floor? The have a 2003 21 LSV Sunscape and there was a not enough room from the hole to the rear of the front seat in the bow to manoeuvre the cable out.

Questions:

1.  Do you have a rack or rotary helm?

2.  Did you already cut one end of the cable like the original post shows?

3.  I'm confused how the front seat comes into play here.  Can you post a photo of what you described?

20 hours ago, justgary said:

Questions:

1.  Do you have a rack or rotary helm?

2.  Did you already cut one end of the cable like the original post shows?

3.  I'm confused how the front seat comes into play here.  Can you post a photo of what you described?

Hi @justgary

I have a rack style steering arrangement.

No, I didn't cut anything at first attempt. NOTE-I did today.

I don’t think I mentioned the front seat (helm), I was referring to the rear of the bow seats, right hand side, in front of the helm. 

Thanks to the help I received from @formulaben, I managed to remove the cable and complete the task. Thanks again Ben 👍

• Like 3