Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunbrella Dye Bled or Fungus on my Vinyl?

So I left my boat in the driveway for 1 and 1/2 days with my burgundy Sunbrella cover on in ~ 95 deg temps. When I puled the cover off I noticed a burgundy to pink colored blotching on a vinyl section which the ski pylon goes through. I tried straight bleach, magic eraser with Bar Keepers with no luck. Anyone know if this is a fungus or did the cover bleed which is kinda strange given it didn't bleed anywhere else even in the back where there is direct contact??

post-27918-0-94252600-1435193118_thumb.j

First, stop scrubbing with stuff. Second, leave that vinyl out in the sun for a day or two and it will return to it's normal color. Third, cover your sun pad with something like an old bed sheet or blanket before you put the cover on.

After a very close inspection, it is that nasty fungus! Can I rub some Athletes Foot Cream on it or some other anti fungal??

Will it spread? How can I stop it from spreading

Your vinyl is getting too hot under the cover and is reacting to the adhesive glue. This happens to my boat several times each year when it is left in direct sunlight with the cover on even if I place a clean white towel on top of the sun pad so there is a barrier in between the vinyl and the cover. The good news like it has been said is all you should have to do is uncover the boat and leave it in the sun for a day and it will go away. If you do not want this to keep happening you have to park your boat under a carport, garage or make a tent to re-direct the heat off of the boat cover....

Edited by Doublee133

The problem is on the inside of the vinyl & leaching thru. So scrubbing isn't going to do a thing. Leave it out in the sun & it'll kill it & bleach it white in a few hours. I think the problem comes from covering the boat when it's wet & then it gets really HOT under the cover.

After a very close inspection, it is that nasty fungus! Can I rub some Athletes Foot Cream on it or some other anti fungal??

Will it spread? How can I stop it from spreading

Try vagisil. Only kidding but had to laugh at the desperation of your tone. Seriously though STOP scrubbing it with abrasives immediately, that will be terminal for your vinyl. 2nd, leave it in the sunlight, it will clear up. To avoid a repeat buy a light colored cover and dont leave it covered in the sun.

That really sucks. Malibu should step up and fix it. I don't care how old it is. If that happens on the next boat I buy I won't be sticking with the brand. I just hope other brands didn't buy the same adhesive!

That really sucks. Malibu should step up and fix it. I don't care how old it is. If that happens on the next boat I buy I won't be sticking with the brand. I just hope other brands didn't buy the same adhesive!

REALLY!!!!????!!!!

The OP has a 16 year old boat and you think the manufacturer of a boat that does not make the vinyl and can not control the boats usage and environment once it leaves the factory should "STEP UP AND FIX IT"

Come on, be serious! or maybe you were just joking and I took your comment serious. if you were just joking, I apologize....

and by the way, unless there is actual DEFECT in the product, environmental conditions beyond a manufactures control are just that, beyond a manufactures control.

just my .02

water has nothing to do with it. every weekend I cringe when I see my boat. the sun works within a few hours. my advise? close your eyes while you uncover it. go drink a few cold ones and let the sun work its magic, then go out and open your eyes.

So I left my boat in the driveway for 1 and 1/2 days with my burgundy Sunbrella cover on in ~ 95 deg temps. When I puled the cover off I noticed a burgundy to pink colored blotching on a vinyl section which the ski pylon goes through. I tried straight bleach, magic eraser with Bar Keepers with no luck. Anyone know if this is a fungus or did the cover bleed which is kinda strange given it didn't bleed anywhere else even in the back where there is direct contact??

attachicon.gifDye:fungus?.jpg

Here are some interesting facts about Sunbrella fabric...

http://www.sunbrella.com/en_us/how/faq/

I do not believe it is possible for Sunbrella to bleed because of how it is made and colored....it is a solution dyed product and not vat dyed or yarn dyed....that said, if your cover is dirty perhaps if it laid directly on your vinyl in the picture, it allowed moisture that was contaminated with organics to cause the mildew from the topside of your vinyl....

in any case, as the other folks have said, usually good ol mother nature AKA the Sun and its UV rays will take care of the problem. the downside of putting straight bleach on your vinyl is the bleach hitting your stitching and causing it to become weak and start pulling apart.

Vinyl has a topcoat and using an abrasive to clean it can damage the topcoat or possibly totally remove it. causing you even more problems.

Here is a handy do and dont from dockside canvas company about vinyl care

http://www.docksidecanvas.com/careseats.php

good luck

REALLY!!!!????!!!!

The OP has a 16 year old boat and you think the manufacturer of a boat that does not make the vinyl and can not control the boats usage and environment once it leaves the factory should "STEP UP AND FIX IT"

Come on, be serious! or maybe you were just joking and I took your comment serious. if you were just joking, I apologize....

and by the way, unless there is actual DEFECT in the product, environmental conditions beyond a manufactures control are just that, beyond a manufactures control.

just my .02

Exactly!

OH, and BTW, there are a few other boat brands you will want to stay away from too.

• Like 2

Update: I parked my boat outside today and let the sun do its thing. Approximately 90% off all that fungus is gone! I bet all of it will be gone with a few more hours of UV exposure.

I would bet that this would have never occurred if the previous owner didn't just cover the old vinyl with new vinyl causing a gap between the layers where the fungus had a nice food source (the glue). I am so glad that this is the only section that has 2 layers.

Thanks guys! You rock!!! :yahoo:

• Like 2