Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Now I've done it.

mrothwell

Being a skier, and not a member of the darkside, I have a ski boat that doesn't put out too much of a wake, the way God intended boats to be. Anyway, I have never had a board to try and wasn't going to buy one for my "ski" boat. I went out with my buddy that just got his V-Ride. I skied it first because I wanted to see how the wake was for slalom, then we broke out the surf board. 2nd attempt and I was up for a long time and played around on the wake. I could get slack rope for 5 to 10 seconds, but that's about the best I did. The V-Ride has only midship ballast and a manual wedge. Only 2 people in the boat. The wake seemed high enough to surf, but did not have a very long face to work with. I still had fun and look forward to doing it again when we have a boat load of people. We were starting off the swim step, and I was surprised at how easy it was to get going.

Being a skier, and not a member of the darkside, I have a ski boat that doesn't put out too much of a wake, the way God intended boats to be. Anyway, I have never had a board to try and wasn't going to buy one for my "ski" boat. I went out with my buddy that just got his V-Ride. I skied it first because I wanted to see how the wake was for slalom, then we broke out the surf board. 2nd attempt and I was up for a long time and played around on the wake. I could get slack rope for 5 to 10 seconds, but that's about the best I did. The V-Ride has only midship ballast and a manual wedge. Only 2 people in the boat. The wake seemed high enough to surf, but did not have a very long face to work with. I still had fun and look forward to doing it again when we have a boat load of people. We were starting off the swim step, and I was surprised at how easy it was to get going.

Welcome to the dark side young Jedi. Biggrin.gif

Surfing is great once the water is trashed, but slaloming is much better if the water is butta. Next you'll have a wakeboard and be looking for a vdrive....hang in there I'll get you some intervention.lol

he, he, he...

Little does he know that a fully loaded VLX is in his future. Yahoo.gif

Surfing is great once the water is trashed, but slaloming is much better if the water is butta. Next you'll have a wakeboard and be looking for a vdrive....hang in there I'll get you some intervention.lol

M-DUDE ROFL.gif

Little does he know that a fully loaded VLX is in his future. Yahoo.gif

M-DUDE first, then MRothwell :lol:

You guys are killin' me here.

I am curious to see the new "little" V-drive that Tracie mentioned. I love the seating layout, but I gotta have a better ski wake than the V's I've skied behind.

Besides, now that my buddy had a V, I'll just hitch a ride behind him if/when I need a surf fix.

Actually, believe it or not, the Sunsetter LXI throws down a very nice surf wake with MLS, wedge, a couple of fat sacs and people. I surf behind mine often and it compares pretty well with several V drives. Ask anyone who's surfed behind my boat...all of them were surprised.

How was the V-ride to ski behind?

How much do you like to go airborne :) It was better than I thought it would be but still just not a DD size.

This genetic defect is more common that I thought....

I have a ski boat that doesn't put out too much of a wake, the way God intended boats to be.

Oh my, you almost sound like you believe this.

I'll tell ya, the brainwashing that goes on behind the closed doors of those so call "chapels" just plain scares me!

I will settle this right now once and for all. If you are REALLY into both slalom and wakeboarding there is really only one option that will be ideal for both....

You need two boats!!!! ;)

Get a response for slaloming and a VLX for wakeboarding and the problem is solved. Sure there are "crossover" boats but neither is as good as the response or VLX at their respective duties.

Can't afford two boats??? simple, convince a friend to get one.

I think we should set up a sort of "foreign exchange" program through TMC to try to bring together wakeboarders and slalom skiers. We can pair up V-drives owners with DD owners and have them try each other's sports behind the correct boats.

I am a wakeboarder at heart because nothing gives me a rush like getting big air but I can certainly appreciate the speed, precision, and acceleration in a well executed slalom pass. Every now and again I like to get out behind a tournament quality ski boat and tear through the course with the worst form known to man and a wakeboard grip until I inevitably take a booter over the front of the ski coming around 5 ball...

I will settle this right now once and for all. If you are REALLY into both slalom and wakeboarding there is really only one option that will be ideal for both....

You need two boats!!!! ;)

Get a response for slaloming and a VLX for wakeboarding and the problem is solved. Sure there are "crossover" boats but neither is as good as the response or VLX at their respective duties.

Can't afford two boats??? simple, convince a friend to get one.

I think we should set up a sort of "foreign exchange" program through TMC to try to bring together wakeboarders and slalom skiers. We can pair up V-drives owners with DD owners and have them try each other's sports behind the correct boats.

I am a wakeboarder at heart because nothing gives me a rush like getting big air but I can certainly appreciate the speed, precision, and acceleration in a well executed slalom pass. Every now and again I like to get out behind a tournament quality ski boat and tear through the course with the worst form known to man and a wakeboard grip until I inevitably take a booter over the front of the ski coming around 5 ball...

I've got a friend.... who thinks this is a good idea. While he is a diehard wakeboarder he has been known to break out the skinny stick from time to time, I even think he has placed at an INT event on the ole slalom ski. We all agree that the reaching the upper level of either sport is challenging and both require boat/lake time so why not give the other a try, you never know what might come of it. That's all my friend really wanted to say.

I personally like the two boat family setup. Screw the crossover boat, just go buy two. Remember when you were worried about making the payment on one boat? Everything worked out didn't it... now go do it again, you'll be fine and your family will thank you, your friends will thank you, and your dealer will thank you! :lol:

Screw the crossover boat, just go buy two. Remember when you were worried about making the payment on one boat? Everything worked out didn't it... now go do it again, you'll be fine and your family will thank you, your friends will thank you, and your dealer will thank you! :lol:

I think we deserve some kickbacks from malibu if this starts to take off as an industry trend...

It will be like cars. Most family's have 2 or more cars. Maybe a sports car to cruise around in and an SUV to tow the boat... Same thing with boating. If people are REALLY into all these different watersports they will need the right equiptment for the job.

I can see the promotions now. Buy a fully loaded VLX at MSRP and get an iRide free ;)

Can you imagine a 20' vdrive on the Diamond hull? I wonder if they'll do that.

And yes, welcome to the dark side young patawan. :)

That is very appealing to to me - I would love to try it out.

btw - the dark side is such an ugly place. Tongue.gif

That was what I was really looking forward to trying out on this boat. I took the first run on the ski before we filled the mid-ship ballast. With 2 people (each at about 230) on board and a full tank of gas the wake was not that much larger than my SLxi, but it was much harder. When I looked at the wake, it didn't look too bad, but when my ski hit it, I felt like I was skiing behind an early 90's Ski Natique. It didn't really launch me, but it felt like I hit something hard and felt like it was stopping forward progress.

As much as I like the V-Drive layout for my family, I dont think I can give up the ski wake yet.

I have a ski boat that doesn't put out too much of a wake, the way God intended boats to be.

Oh my, you almost sound like you believe this.

I'll tell ya, the brainwashing that goes on behind the closed doors of those so call "chapels" just plain scares me!

When you are "enlightened", you will understand.

Screw the crossover boat, just go buy two. Remember when you were worried about making the payment on one boat? Everything worked out didn't it... now go do it again, you'll be fine and your family will thank you, your friends will thank you, and your dealer will thank you! :lol:

I think we deserve some kickbacks from malibu if this starts to take off as an industry trend...

It will be like cars. Most family's have 2 or more cars. Maybe a sports car to cruise around in and an SUV to tow the boat... Same thing with boating. If people are REALLY into all these different watersports they will need the right equiptment for the job.

I can see the promotions now. Buy a fully loaded VLX at MSRP and get an iRide free ;)

Exactly as I see it!

Only one problem with our plan. If this takes off then expect to see a "professional tube" boat available as well in the near future. Cause if people will buy two they will buy three!

Actually, the lake I'm on it is very common for people to have MANY boats. You typically see docks with a big cruiser of some sort and/or a go fast, then a pontoon or deck boat, then a wakeboard boat, often a fishing boat as well, and then 2 to 4 jetskis. Seriously 2-8 boats is standard issue. Talking these people into a ski and wakeboard boat would be quite simple. Hey Bob, look your neighbor just bought two new boats... dang it, now I'm going to have to!

Can I put a class 3 hitch on the back of my Extreme trailer to pull the second boat in tandem?

So, let me see:

Diesel truck $50K

Loaded VLX $70K

Loaded RLxi $50K

Enough toys to make above really worth while $20K

$190K for my morning hydrotherapy sessions. Do you think Blue Cross will pay 80% on that because I'm using them for their health (physical and mental) benifits.

Exactly as I see it!

Only one problem with our plan. If this takes off then expect to see a "professional tube" boat available as well in the near future. Cause if people will buy two they will buy three!

Actually, the lake I'm on it is very common for people to have MANY boats. You typically see docks with a big cruiser of some sort and/or a go fast, then a pontoon or deck boat, then a wakeboard boat, often a fishing boat as well, and then 2 to 4 jetskis. Seriously 2-8 boats is standard issue. Talking these people into a ski and wakeboard boat would be quite simple. Hey Bob, look your neighbor just bought two new boats... dang it, now I'm going to have to!

Wow, that's a lot of boats. Standard on our lake is a Wakeboard boat, either a Pontoon or Platform party boat, and then a few jet ski's.

I've settled on 5 boats..... but find I need about 3 more.

In order of MUST-HAVE

1/ Response LX, for my die-hard sking requirements. No comprimise. Just a flat wake.

2/ Pontoon Boat. For mega people, slow down, no big worries about beaching on sand, no 303 or T9 Boshield. Drop your burger....no problem, I'll just hose it off later.

3/ HobieCat sailboat. For the windy days. What a rush. And no gas bills.

4/ Canoe. Totally different but mandatory on our little Canadian lake.

5/ Alum fishing boat. Just can't stand the smell of fishy stuff on/in the other boats.

MISSING CRAFT

6/ Kids want (oh no) to wakeboard. A tower will NOT get put on the RLX. No cross-over boat allowed. N comprimise..... but I'm running out of dock and beach space.

7/ Go fastboat: Had to give up the 200 Merc and 70+ mph to buy the RLX. I do miss the blast of wind in the face at that speed.

8/ Live-aboard mega home-on-the-water craft. Maybe some day.

But alas, not enough money, space, or time to take care of all the above.

PS: Note the absence of anything that resembles a PWC. They are so annoying. Yes, I've tried them, but it's really hard to NOT be an aggravating idiot on one of them.

Taught some folks to surf yesterday after getting tired of boarding and they were so in love with it after that. A little gas cash into the VLX and you can do both eh! LUKE IT'S TIME TO COME OVER TO THE DARK SIDE!! Thumbup.gif