Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Bu Boat Quest - '08 23 LSV Questions

riffraff

Good morning Bu Crew. I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Partly due to all of the great info on this forum I've committed to finding a good, clean, used Bu. When we pull the trigger on our boat deal I'll be out of cash again so I'm not sure if that means 'thank you' or 'dang you'. Either way...I'll be back on the water soon as we've sold our TIge and are heading to Malibu.

So here's the issue you can talk me thru. I've got a deal in the works on a supposedly clean '08 23 LSV with about 450 hours (have only seen pics so far). That's a little more hours than most of the other boats I've looked at but it doesn't scare me if the dealer can produce the service records. I was all in on the boat until I got to reading about the "make it right" program on the '08's and the dash. I think I can deal with the dash (mostly sit on the flip up anyways) but these boats seem to be snake bit. I'm talking myself in/out of the deal. I'm a 6 hour drive away from the boat so I need to do as much homework as possible ahead of any travel.

Would this model concern you? What are some good questions to ask before committing to travel to see the boat? Outside of a traditional inspection, mechanical review and lake test is there anything else you would do on this boat for your due dilligence?

First thing I would want to know is what motor is in it. Mine has the 383HH which has been fantastic. I am at just about 450 hrs now and owned the boat since 300hrs. No issues at all other than routine maintenance however there is a sticky thread in maintenance about the Hammerhead and oil consumption/oil volume you should check out.

The dash....I don't mind it TBH. Would I rather have the newer LCD? Probably but I am an analog guy and the dash is easy to reference when pulling riders etc. I am 5 foot 9 and don't have to be on the bolster unless we are surfing. Otherwise there is plenty field of vision.

Thanks for the dash comments, Brian. I figured it wouldn't really be a big deal. Seeing as I don't have a dash at all right now I'll gladly take an ugly one!.

The boat has the standard Monsoon engine. Did you do anything on yours when you bought it to verify the "make it right" issues had been addressed?

My boat is an '08 23LSV with the 350, we bought it with 530 hrs from the dealer that sold it and serviced it. I have not had any problems and the dash does not bother me at all. The 350 has enough power for me, although, I do need to swap my prop out for better performance surfing. The boat puts out a great wake for both boarding and surfing and it is not half bad to ski behind either. If you do surf, I would highly recommend the Wicked Wave surf tab, it made a world of difference!! Good luck!

toddrparr...with the wicked wake do you add ballast beyond the stock system? What was the cost of the wicked wake? Post a wave pic if you have one, please. I'm thinking this would be a better alternative to a piggyback ballast system.

I didn't know about the make it right program until a year after I purchased. The only issue I have had that could be correlated is the failure of my front flip up light...honestly though after 7 yrs I can't pin that on Malibu. I do have a few gremlins here and there mainly due to age. My depth finder will lose sounding almost every trip these days and I am getting ready to replace. Not a big deal especially if you know your lake however it will disable the speed control until it reacquires its reading...thats annoying. Overall, this is a big boat that you will be happy with. Anytime I get the upgrade itch I compare the price difference for what I would want changed. The only thing lacking is surf gate which looks like Todd just solved for me bringing up Wicked Wave.

My boat is an '08 23LSV with the 350, we bought it with 530 hrs from the dealer that sold it and serviced it. I have not had any problems and the dash does not bother me at all. The 350 has enough power for me, although, I do need to swap my prop out for better performance surfing. The boat puts out a great wake for both boarding and surfing and it is not half bad to ski behind either. If you do surf, I would highly recommend the Wicked Wave surf tab, it made a world of difference!! Good luck!

How did I not know about this? Went to the site and prices are not listed, do you mind sharing what it cost and a review of before/after etc? Do you ride with even weight in the back, your setup etc? I am really excited!

edit:sorry for the hijack

Edited by Brian Ferrell

It is $399 if you get both sides, right now we only surf regular, so I ordered the right side (opposite from surf side) and it was $225. We are fairly new to surfing, without it and with only stock ballast and wedge set at max, I could surf and with the rope. With the WW and same ballast and wedge set up, there is great push and going ropeless is easy, my wife was able to let go her 2nd time up. There is a bit of a wait to get it, but it is well worth it. We go ~11 mph and I have been told I need more weight, but it is sufficient. Here is a link to some after pics and a video. http://s374.photobucket.com/user/toddrparr/slideshow/ http://vid374.photobucket.com/albums/oo182/toddrparr/MAH05612_zpsmk9hnxlh.mp4

Edited by toddrparr

I bought mine new in 2008. Now has 572 hours. It has the Monsoon and I changed the prop to a 2315. Shortly after, Malibu sent 2 techs out to address the "make it right" issues. From what I recall, they checked the shaft alignment, changed tower bushings and did something with the MUX switches.

I've never had any major issues (knock on wood). Just the typical minor issues (nav light failed last year and one ballast pump went bad). We almost exclusively wakeboard and never had any issues with the tower. I have about 1500# of lead scattered throughout the boat and it has no problem planing out with full ballast and wedge. We've surfed and it's a nice surf wake when weighted properly.

I'm 5'9" and never use the seat bolster when driving and have no issues with visibility.

Edited by mikeyg

I've got 20+ hours into my new to me 2008 LSV this year and I'm happy with it. Have it checked out by a reputable mechanic, like you would any used boat before purchase.

Speaking of mechanics, I'd asked my mechanic (fairly well regarded on this site) his thoughts about the 2008 issues. He said he thinks 2008's after the make it right program are as good as any year he sees.

The most important fix for the 2008 23 LSV is the throttle. Make sure that was done or you may find out how well your boat fits into the bed of your truck.

That reminds me of an ad I saw on craigslist. It read something like:

Jon boat. Fits nicely into the bed of a pick up. No title. :-)

You've restored my confidence in the '08's. Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully all goes well with the inspection/lake test and we've got a new-to-me boat this weekend. I'll report back.

This is her, by the way. Anyone know this boat? I think it lived either in the Central TX area or Dallas-Ft. Worth.

http://www.waterskiamerica.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=56939&pov=4298407

Edited by riffraff

MUX panels are the devil, but they're easy to replace and Bakes has them on hand at all times.

Other than that, great boat. These motors may or may not use a little oil, but just always keep 'em topped off and they'll run for forever.

That red hull is pretty hot, too.