Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 vlx bad oil consumption

When I went to the Ilmor plant, I asked one of the top guys about break in

He said that with the 7.4 L it undergoes so much testing before it is even put in the boat that break in is more just a standard precaution than a necessity. Word for word this is what he said, "go easy for the first hour then balls to the wall"

Not sure if this applies to all motors because the 7.4 is not a crate motor. Do crate motors undergo the same testing? I.E. being run on the dyno, etc?

Edited by DocPhil

When I went to the Ilmor plant, I asked one of the top guys about break in

He said that with the 7.4 L it undergoes so much testing before it is even put in the boat that break in is more just a standard precaution than a necessity. Word for word this is what he said, "go easy for the first hour then balls to the wall"

Not sure if this applies to all motors because the 7.4 is not a crate motor. Do crate motors undergo the same testing? I.E. being run on the dyno, etc?

Nope, the crate motors are simply dressed out and then fired up on a test stand to make sure everything is ok and then a diacom recording is made to document for the history of the motor.

The 7.4 is a completely different animal, thus the break in/dyno testing.

Meh, engine break in is a myth. They take each boat for a test thrash. Ever had an engine dynoed? Definitely not more than a 5 minute break in there.

That's not what takes place at the Ilmor plant. They run a dyno program that lasts much longer than 5 minutes.

Keep in mind the 7.4 is built right next to their indy car motors-same assembly people side by side

That's not what takes place at the Ilmor plant. They run a dyno program that lasts much longer than 5 minutes.

Keep in mind the 7.4 is built right next to their indy car motors-same assembly people side by side

I've never had a motor I've built dynoed at the ilmor plant ;)

Meh, engine break in is a myth. They take each boat for a test thrash. Ever had an engine dynoed? Definitely not more than a 5 minute break in there.

Any engine I've built for my vehicles I do a break in before it hits the dyno for tuning. If the engine is fresh you have a little blow by, etc that affects the tune.

My break in is against the typical standards most mechanics will give you though. I run it like I stole it for 20 min once it is up to temp and then drive it like I plan on driving it for a few hundred miles.

I can understand a proper break in on the engine in one of these boats because of the loads we put on them keeping them in a certain RPM range pushing them as hard as they can go. Small amounts of fuel can wash the cylinder walls and cause the rings to not seat properly because of these loads.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

My break in is against the typical standards most mechanics will give you though. I run it like I stole it for 20 min once it is up to temp and then drive it like I plan on driving it for a few hundred miles.

That is actually the break in that I've been familiar with as well. Warm it up run the crap out of it to seat the rings and then move on with you day.

Fresh build is different than a rebuild, in my opinion.

I do a break in process for rebuilds, but it's not 10 hours. I smoke 'em, check everything. Then run em for a bit, change the fluids, then drive it to the dyno and beat on it like a one eye'd step child.

Any failures I've had hasn't been from a lack of break in process. They've been more a product of improper tolerances or mechanical failures (timing tensioners etc.) Which is how I learn and move forward.

I have had many conversations with both engine builders as well as ring manufactures and bearing manufactures. Being involved with racing as deep as we were we had exhalent access to many many very smart and respected people. I was very fortunate to know and spend time with one of the top Pro stock drivers of all time. In the end the outcome was

1) Rings do not need any brake in. Rings if working as should never touch the cylinder walls other the at start up well oil pressure is not up.

2) For our engines it would be beneficial to get a short run time to get the brake in coating on them off before hard running. This would be a short time not hours.

3) some heat cycles are a benefit.

The coating on the bearings is the big thing for the engines we built. Our clearances could be quite tight. So knowing we did not need or want any extended brake in we washed the coating from the bearings. We used an oil mix for assembly and just before start up we hand pumped the oil pressure up.

Two or three heat cycles and they hit the track or dyno! :yahoo:

Soon my boat I did a short time of easy running. then a quick set of slalom. more easy time and then time pulling slalom. not hours of brake in. she runs grate and no oil usage beyond normal witch is less the 1/2 quart in 50 to 100 hours.

So when they finally get around to pulling the engine, they'll find some bone-headed thing like a few missing oil rings or maybe an oblong cylinder.

• Like 2

Here's the deal. After changing the oil and running the boat for a few hours the boat doesn't seem to be consuming oil for now. The oil was so thinned out with gas it wasn't even funny. Less than 50 hours half were idling hours between oil changes and the oil was so diluted it burned..... Contacted indmar and was told that I am using the boat too hard and that I may have too much weight in the boat. Which is causing the engine to work to hard and running too rich. Therefor washing out the rings and getting into the crankcase. Again two 750 PNP bags and about 4-6 people in the boat.?

Being pretty upset I called back and spoke to another tech he says that the pcv valve when I'm surfing could be on the wrong side causing it to go into the intake. Wait what so your saying that I can't surf on one side of the boat because of the pcv valves location. Still doesn't explain why my oil has gas in it. Now I'm being told I have to change my oil every 25 hours which is ridiculous.

Good news is the leakdown test came back fine ... Question is how much damage has been done to my rings bearings and everything else because the boat is running so rich it washes the rings out.

I don't think I buy the argument that it's running too rich - the EFI specifically ensures the mixture is good in all conditions. If it was running so rich that it was washing past the rings I reckon you'd be suffocated by the black smoke from the exhaust and your full consumption rate would be off the scale.

That's a separate issue from one where maybe just constant very high engine loads are overcoming the rings' ability to maintain a proper seal or something? If that was a real issue, you'd think plenty of owners would be reporting similar symptoms...

Could you have an injector(s) that's leaking and dribbling fuel into one or more cylinders when the engine is at rest and weeping past the rings? does it seem rich and 'lumpy' when you start it after resting for a while? Just trying to think how else you could get significant quantities of fuel into the crankcase.

Me two none of it should not be happening period we all use our boats to do the same stuff. My boat is no different than any of yours.at 80 hours this thing is giving me more of a hard time than my 10 year old boat.

My question is why isn't your dealer going to bat for you? Or did you call your dealer?

You said you called Malibu...did you mean your dealer or actually Malibu?

Edited by DocPhil

Sorry to hear. Somethin' real weird going on. With a lot of gas in the oil, I'm wondering if a seal or gasket got whacked out of shape somewhere.

Especially if said breach allowed gas to the oil, and oil to the gas. No fault codes and not too much blue smoke?

Hoping the dealer or indmar step up and quickly.

Steve B.

Keep us posted

What do those spark plugs look like?

I'm telling you, plugs talk. They speak a language that's hard to argue with. If you're washing those cylinders out, they'll be black... and likely moist. Lol

Edited by ibelonginprison

The plugs are somewhat black definitely not normal. The boat isnt showing any fault codes or I actually called Malibu who instructed me to call indmar. The dealer which is Centerville Marina is actually pretty awesome Doug Garner has stepped up and started making phone calls. These guys have been in contact with indmar and have done multiple test on everything including the fuel system and not asked me for a dime. The future will tell what is going to happen but the dealer is standing tall right beside me agreeing that something isn't right. Thanks for the help on this forum I appreciate it. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

Keep working through your dealer. Especially if you bought directly from them. And said above, 1) you shouldn't be using that much oil; and 2) you should be covered under warranty. Let the dealer bat. They will take care of the nitty gritty stiff to get it resolved and keep you happy.

I missed these updates ... was wondering what happened with the testing.

I really didn't expect to hear that you're getting fuel washing down your cylinder walls.

If the boat was running that rich then I'd think you would be throwing a code from the O2 sensors, but maybe not.

Maybe your plugs got fouled up and now you're running rich as a result of bag plugs, which would cause cylinder wash. If the boat is in your dealer's possession, then it's their problem to solve I suppose. But, if you have the boat, post pictures of the spark plugs. I'd be interested to see if they're in really bad shape.