Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommendations for a bilge pump?

Michigan boarder

I had water all over the floor last Saturday filling bags to surf with the o-ring missing from my pump fitting, plus one bag lost it's cap, but wasn't worried cuz of the auto bilge pump. After a while I lifted the engine cover and there was about 4" of water in the bilge. Used the Uberpump to pump that out, then felt the bilge pump and it was hot. I cut the auto wire so it wouldn't try to run anymore. We finished the day, and I pulled the plug while the boat was on the lift. Tonight I went back and pulled the pump off and somehow, someway, in that immaculate bilge was an old nasty piece of 3"x4" paper that got sucked up and blocked the pump. It still works, but it's noisy…just a matter of time. It was an Attwood Guardian 500, which they no longer make. Anybody got a new pump recommendation? Just grab another Attwood Sahara? Upgrade to the 1100?

I am currently in the process of upgrading from the Sahara 500 to perhaps the Rule 900 GPG LoPro or better. I know the Rule 900 has valves to prevent back flow which I really need as my bilge pump drain is often under water when set-up for surfing. I may even consider the 1500 with a check valve for safety. I think upgrading the bilge pump on most boats is a smart idea… especially for safety.

Sorry, most people call them safety boats.

We have a POS Carolina Skiff and a cool little Whaler we use to pick up skiers when they fall during practice or show.

http://www.lslski.com/

I call them crash boats because that's what we called them at St Joe Jr Foundation when I was there, back in the '70's.

http://sjjf.org/

Anyway, they stay in the water all summer and, being open boats, they collect a lot of rain.

Edited by robtr8

I am assuming that the outlet hose, and possibly the thru-hull, need to be changed if going from a 500gph bilge pump to a 1100gph pump. (3/4" outlet to 1-1/8") Correct?

Not a recommendation, but just a thought. I'm intrigued by this pump. I'm considering adding it as a 2nd pump because of its shape; it will fit directly under the engine in the area where water first builds up. I just like the idea of having 2 bilge pumps...

Not a recommendation, but just a thought. I'm intrigued by this pump. I'm considering adding it as a 2nd pump because of its shape; it will fit directly under the engine in the area where water first builds up. I just like the idea of having 2 bilge pumps...

Low profile pumps are available from other mfg as well.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-industries--lopro-900gph-bilge-pump-automatic-with-built-in-switch--15038078

• 3 weeks later...