Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 25 LSV

longbeard

Very very surprised with this.

I like the bigger wakeboats, I've had 3. But I know I'm the minority. Few folks will opt for a 25. Few folks could manage that in tight spaces at 27-28ft in length and that weight. Although it will likely have a gamechanger massive surf wave, and I mean that seriously.

That boat is a 8-9k tow. Big expensive motor, 110-130? price tag. And it's clearly another bow dunker.

Very surprised Springer went this way. Seems the sweet spot would have been a deep 236LSV-Surf or a deep 247LSV-Surf.

• Like 1

You can put 5K of ballast in a Malibu but when you do that you have literally no storage and or have to walk over bags.

On a G you can put 5K of ballast, walk around the boat and still have all of the storage you want.

Lots of choices out there to suit everybody's needs and likes.

No walking over bags in my LSV. The only exposed bag is in the bow, but nobody sits there anyway. And while I'm no expert on the G, if you need more weight in the bow (as most boats do), then you're probably dealing with an bow triangle there too.

The only storage I lose when we surf is the lockers. I still have beneath all the seats and under the dash too. No biggie. I always have to laugh at the storage argument... what exactly are people bringing with them on these boats that they NEED so much storage. I seem to find room for everything on my boat, even with the lockers full of water. But no doubt the G has more storage. Whether you need it or not is up to you, I guess.

• Like 2

Very very surprised with this.

I like the bigger wakeboats, I've had 3. But I know I'm the minority. Few folks will opt for a 25. Few folks could manage that in tight spaces at 27-28ft in length and that weight. Although it will likely have a gamechanger massive surf wave, and I mean that seriously.

That boat is a 8-9k tow. Big expensive motor, 110-130? price tag. And it's clearly another bow dunker.

Very surprised Springer went this way. Seems the sweet spot would have been a deep 236LSV-Surf or a deep 247LSV-Surf.

How is it a bow dunker? I've never even come close to dunking my bow and that's with 1,350lbs. up there.

Big expensive motor? Do you know what motor comes standard on this new boat??

Springer has more up his sleeve. Maybe the "G killer" you envision is forthcoming!

You guys insist on comparing this boat to the G. You're off base. This is simply a stretched 23 LSV. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yep if he has a large 23-24 coming that's what I'm talking about, I guess we'll see!

With all that said... Would I look forward to spending a few days on a 25LSV? 100% yes!

IXFE has this one dead on. I dont have bags everywhere and i run 5k, you see a bow bag and that is it. Even the amazing NINJA only exposes a bow bag and that is in a 21' VLX!

However to get additional subfloor freeboard must increase

Few guys with Gs run bow bags. They come with 950lbs sub floor .... And a some guys keep an additional 2-400lbs lead in the bow. The G is so high in the front it's barely noticeable with the additional weight.

• Like 2

Few guys with Gs run bow bags. They come with 950lbs sub floor .... And a some guys keep an additional 2-400lbs lead in the bow. The G is so high in the front it's barely noticeable with the additional weight.

Exactly, you don't need a bow bag in the G series boats, they have way more ballast in the bow already than the bu's, and your rear lockers aren't full of bags either. My whole point is if this the boat that competes with the G series I think they missed on it. One of the best parts of the G23 is that you have 3500lbs of ballast that no one sees and tons of storage.

I get the feeling this isn't going to be the "G23 killer".

If I understand correctly there is still a model or 2 that they are supposed to come out with beyond what we know.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

I get the feeling this isn't going to be the "G23 killer".

If I understands correctly there is still a model or 2 that they are supposed to come out with beyond what we know.

A new A20 is one of those ... we'll see what this 3rd boat is. Hopefully it's a subfloor ballast boat with a hull deep enough for a cooler in the floor (like the G).

Now that is nice! I wish Bu had more bow ballast. I feel like they could even on the existing boats of they molded the tank to actually use all the space up there.

With that said, there are dozens of guys on this forum who say the Bu doesn't need an extta bow bag.

Now that is nice! I wish Bu had more bow ballast. I feel like they could even on the existing boats of they molded the tank to actually use all the space up there.

With that said, there are dozens of guys on this forum who say the Bu doesn't need an extta bow bag.

Have you been in or ridden behind a G?

Have you been in or ridden behind a G?

Wakeboard yes, it was impressive. But not surfing. This was just before NSS came out.

My dealer sells Nautique so getting a G would be easy if I wanted to spend another $30k for a boat that doesn't fit in my garage. But a few weeks ago the Nauti salesman and I were joking that he's gonna take me on a proper G23 surfing demo, so maybe I'll get that chance.

The $30k difference will forever be a deterrent for me. No amount of extra storage (which I don't need) would justify that price delta. I used to lust after the easy fold tower, but Bu solved that problem for me with the G4 (which I love). The wave on the G would have to be sooooo much better to get me to even consider it. Honestly... for me the 23 LSV is the perfect boat.

What about you, CJAY. You seem pretty enamored by the G. Why didn't you buy one this last go around?

Wakeboard yes, it was impressive. But not surfing. This was just before NSS came out.

My dealer sells Nautique so getting a G would be easy if I wanted to spend another $30k for a boat that doesn't fit in my garage. But a few weeks ago the Nauti salesman and I were joking that he's gonna take me on a proper G23 surfing demo, so maybe I'll get that chance.

The $30k difference will forever be a deterrent for me. No amount of extra storage (which I don't need) would justify that price delta. I used to lust after the easy fold tower, but Bu solved that problem for me with the G4 (which I love). The wave on the G would have to be sooooo much better to get me to even consider it. Honestly... for me the 23 LSV is the perfect boat.

What about you, CJAY. You seem pretty enamored by the G. Why didn't you buy one this last go around?

I'm the same boat, I'm not shelling out the extra 30K, the LSV and VLX were already at the price point where I though abotu getting my head checked. Spending that kind of money on something I can use half the year if the weather cooperates is tough enough already.

I love them, but not 130+k worth. We also just got a decent dealer here in colorado, so they weren't even an option when I was looking at my LSV. I might have actually went that route if they had been. None of them fit in my current garage, so that isn't a factor for me. Fold down towers don't really matter tome either. The key piece is outsdie the new helm they are light years a head of everyone else fit and finish wise. Things springing up on malibus in 15 and 16 were on the G series in 13. Everything is either metal or latched. The subfloor ballast is awesome, storage is great on the 23, the 21 lacks there some.

I have friends that bought an ASR this year, tige basically copied the G for this boat. While it's a beautiful boat you can see just how far ahead nautique is with their fit and finish when you look at and ride in the two of them.

I wonder how much 'sub floor ballast' is actually valued by the general customer base malibu deals with? Or another way to view, what percentage of inboard owners also own extra ballast bags.

I wonder how much 'sub floor ballast' is actually valued by the general customer base malibu deals with? Or another way to view, what percentage of inboard owners also own extra ballast bags.

I would say that EVERY wake boat owner would appreciate as much sub floor ballast as possible.

Before wakesurfing became a thing, I would say that very few owned extra ballast bags. It's a MUST with surfing though, so plug n play has gained LOTS of popularity in the last 5 years. Plug n play isn't ideal, but it gets the job done and most owners put up with it because otherwise they're never going to hear their kids stop complaining.

Your sentiment is SPOT ON though. Most inboard owners don't WANT to own extra bags. See that's the best part of owning a G23 (and I'm not a G fanboy, I love malibu and axis and happily own an a20), you get the best wakeboard wake on the entire lake without any extras at all (and a pretty darn good surf wave too). You don't even need wakeboard racks because the rear lockers are so big and there aren't any ballast bags in them.

The term sub-floor ballast is a bit cryptic though. To simplify it, it's sold as, "More ballast than any other boat without any bags or loss of storage space".

Edited by boardjnky4

For people who surf, probably pretty huge. People always complain about bags on seats

^^^ bingo, people want the "best" not by wake standards but by what others think of them

Edited by mountaineerhill
  • Like 1

I love the G, and have a friend who has one that we ride behind every week. We see four other G's on our lake, and only one do we ever see pulling anyone other than beginning level wakeboarders, or tubers. Whatever ballast capabilities they have, their owners are never using. I think the G sells because a) it is cool; b) it is viewed as being the best and most expensive; and c) it is viewed as being the best and most expensive ( yeah, I said that twice). Only a fraction of people in real life (as opposed to this forum) will ever need more ballast for wakeboarding than what comes in a Malibu with plug and play. Only a fraction of people will need more storage, and even then, they will only need it a small fraction of the time. However, none of that changes the fact that the G is damn cool, and if you want/need or can afford the best, or if your son is riding on the pro tour, it is the boat for you.

In my opinion, If you want to make something that will take many sales from the G, you need to build something more expensive. Lots of freeboard, lots of storage and lots of subfloor ballast may make for a better wakeboard boat, but unless it is viewed and being the best and most expensive boat in the market (read more "exclusive"), you aren't hitting the G's sweet spot (top end buyers). I would bet that 90% of Ford Raptors are bought because of the coolness factor, and hardly anyone who buys one needs even a fraction of its off-road capabilities.

So would a 25' Bu be a G Killer? No. But if you throw a raptor engine in it (as rumored), make it raptor cool, throw in lots of upgrades, and match the G in price, you will take some sales. There is a market for 247's regardless of whether Malibu is trying to create a G killer or not. I think the better question is, does this keep or expand the 247 buyers market that Malibu is serving already. It has my interest, and I have a 2009 247 at the dock.

The problem i have with this theory is the failure of the new Xstar. it's sold terribly and to be honest was seen as the best and most expensive boat when it came out. It just didn't have some of the key functions the G does. honestly it's a much better looking boat than the G

Edited by CJAY
  • Like 1

I love the G, and have a friend who has one that we ride behind every week. We see four other G's on our lake, and only one do we ever see pulling anyone other than beginning level wakeboarders, or tubers. Whatever ballast capabilities they have, their owners are never using. I think the G sells because a) it is cool; b) it is viewed as being the best and most expensive; and c) it is viewed as being the best and most expensive ( yeah, I said that twice). Only a fraction of people in real life (as opposed to this forum) will ever need more ballast for wakeboarding than what comes in a Malibu with plug and play. Only a fraction of people will need more storage, and even then, they will only need it a small fraction of the time. However, none of that changes the fact that the G is damn cool, and if you want/need or can afford the best, or if your son is riding on the pro tour, it is the boat for you.

Best, I get. Most expensive? Maybe. When I was at the boat show, MC x23 was more expensive than the g23.

In my opinion, If you want to make something that will take many sales from the G, you need to build something more expensive. Lots of freeboard, lots of storage and lots of subfloor ballast may make for a better wakeboard boat, but unless it is viewed and being the best and most expensive boat in the market (read more "exclusive"), you aren't hitting the G's sweet spot (top end buyers). I would bet that 90% of Ford Raptors are bought because of the coolness factor, and hardly anyone who buys one needs even a fraction of its off-road capabilities.

So would a 25' Bu be a G Killer? No. But if you throw a raptor engine in it (as rumored), make it raptor cool, throw in lots of upgrades, and match the G in price, you will take some sales. There is a market for 247's regardless of whether Malibu is trying to create a G killer or not. I think the better question is, does this keep or expand the 247 buyers market that Malibu is serving already. It has my interest, and I have a 2009 247 at the dock.

Tell that to these guys.

This is the Malibu forum and I would expect you guys to honor and protect your interests. The best boat for you is what you feel is best for you.

I do think Malibu will make a 23 foot boat to compete with the G and I think it will be one of their best creations to date. Time will tell but those who like some of the G features will be able to stick with Malibu and have some features they want. End of the day the 23LSV will be the top selling boat in the lineup.

If you do like the G it is not $30K more than an LSV.

• Like 2

Best, I get. Most expensive? Maybe. When I was at the boat show, MC x23 was more expensive than the g23.

I hear the X-Star with Gen 2 has a really good wakesurfing wake too! They need to promote that!!!

• Like 1