Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How fast should a 1987 Malibu Skier run?

Skywagon90

At what altitude?

Typically the old boats like yours and mine will have that 100:1 RPM:MPH ratio with a 13x13 cast prop and should run well over 40 around sea level. For whatever reason (carb tune, maintenance issues, fuel flow, mech. timing advance, etc.) some run 43-44 and some run 46-47. I wouldn't expect to hit 50 on the old Merc 265 in stock form.

Edited by jk13

Not an easy question to answer as we know nothing about how fresh the engine is. For example I have a 94 Centurion with the Merc (I thought 275). when new it would run 41 at about 5000 ft Now it will run 37. The RPMs on your is a little low but I have never really been able to turn more than about 4100 and still be a skiable boat. I have a prop that will turn higher RPMs but the boat performs much worse in all aspects Skiers were always a couple miles per hour faster than mine when they were new so If you are at altitude 38 seems reasonable. If you are at sea level not so much as I run about 39 at Lake Powell which is at 3600 ft. I would guess I would be just a bit over 40 at sea level.

Our '85 Skier tops out at about 40-41 with only a driver. I'll have to check the prop. The upward pull from the hylon helps a lot too.

mines 42mph @4400 rpm with the speed prop.

38 mph with power prop.

both are 3 blade props (old ones)

Merc 265 hp

I read that old ski boats have a "hook" in the hull that limits their top speed but improves the wake.