Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 350 Cylinder Compression

2009 VLX - Monsoon 350 - approx. 450 hours.

What compression should I be reading?

Engine has been running poor, cylinder misfire issues, decided to do a tuneup (and appears to really need it).

While i had the plugs out, i decided to check the compression.

All cylinders came in at 210-220 psi. Is this too high?

What is the standard compression new? With 400-500 hours?

Thanks!

EDIT:

1 - 210 psi

2 - 210 psi

3 - 212 psi

4 - 220 psi

5 - 215 psi

6 - 215 psi

7 - 212 psi

8 - 215 psi

Edited by LSU

This is not too high. It's kinda impressive. Compression creates horsepower. As long as it was fairly consistent as you indicated it was, then I consider this a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I called and spoke with the service department at the local Malibu dealership.

The rep confirmed that 150-180 psi was the general range. He couldn't really speak any more to the higher compression without seeing/ digging into the engine.

As far as i know, its just the stock 350. Is this really uncommon? Could some kind of motor work have been done to the boat before i bought it ('09 I bought in '12).

Should i start running a higher grade fuel because of the higher compression?

What RTS said.

Gauges aren't always accurate, pressure wise, so the thing to look for is consistency. You typically want within 10% of each other all across the board.