Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Issues With Older EFIs at High Altitude?

So I just completed my 2nd Lake Powell trip (first in 2013), and had a question:

During my first trip, my engine acted up and was difficult to start on multiple occasions. It sounded starved for fuel, trying to turn over. I chalked it up to water in the vent line from surfing, and it never happened again once I returned to lower elevations. But then, on this 2nd trip, it took awhile (5-7 seconds) to turn the engine over more than half the time. It's literally never had this problem at any place other than Powell; it snaps on like a champ every single time everywhere else.

So it has to be something to do with elevation, right? But I thought only carb engines have issues with high altitude? Any thoughts? It's not a big deal since it ultimately does turns over, but having it struggle while you're deep down a canyon, 20 miles from your houseboat, can be a little disconcerting.

Edited by aggie08

Like someone else said...MAP sensor...,Which really can't be tested. I would also look at the coolant temp. sensor which can easily be tested.

The program in a boat ECM is very simple & makes very few adjustments like a car ECM does. Altitude isn't even considered.

Any chance it was only when the engine was hot? Maybe a vapor lock issue?

It was primarily when the engine was cold, or had sat for as short as half an hour. I agree that the altitude shouldn't affect things, but two years and 500+ plus starts elsewhere, not even a single issue or hesitation; two trips to Powell, 25 of the 50 starts have been "iffy". It has to factor in somewhere.

According to my Indmar fuel injection service manual a "barometric pressure reading" is read from the map sensor at ignition on and is used to compensate for altitude differences.

Funny. I look at Powell as a "low elevation" lake. :)

We go there 5-6 times per year. Does your problem start when you first get there, or is it by chance after you fill up with fuel from the marina? The reason I ask is that the marinas (at least Bullfrog and Halls) have a TERRIBLE reputation of having a high ethanal content, and water in the fuel.

Every time I fill up there, I add Marine Stabil. Never have had trouble with my Malibu (only two trip so far) or my previous sterndrive (more trips than I can count), but have had difficulty with the houseboat, and have plenty of friends that have similar trouble.